Georgia State

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I still don’t understand why we don’t use Cort roedig and Luke Bartnicki. Instead we really on unproven freshmen or transfers who shouldn’t even be playing in the acc. If Danny hall retired after this year Danny Borrel Better done as well. Sec continues to prove elite pitching produces NC more than elite hitting . BBCOR era is and we haven’t been to super regional since!
I don't mind the freshmen pitching, as they've done a great job more often than not and they are our future. I don't get the lack of Bartnicki and Roedig appearances, although Bartnicki has not pitched well and Roedig has had injury issues the last few years. My concern has been the bullpen returnees that I expected more of. Bartnicki (11.57 ERA), Mannelly (8.10 ERA), Brown (9.60 ERA), Siegel (6.55 ERA). These are the pitchers who you're supposed to be able to count on, and we can't.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind the freshmen pitching, as they've done a great job more often than not and they are our future. I don't get the lack of Bartnicki and Roedig appearances, although Bartnicki has not pitched well and Roedig has had injury issues the last few years. My concern has been the bullpen returnees that I expected more of. Bartnicki (11.57 ERA), Mannelly (8.10 ERA), Brown (9.60 ERA), Siegel (6.55 ERA). These are the pitchers who you're supposed to be able to count on, and we can't.
McNamee killed us tonight,facing 6 batters and yielding 5 runs.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
If someone isn't pitching or playing - there is probably a good reason for it. They're going to put our strategic "best foot forward" when and where they can and importantly WHEN they can.

There is development and exposure, which is great for the Freshman/transfers, etc and those on the road from recovery. As we saw with Chandler, they're not going to put someone in until they're cleared or ready to return. God knows we missed Chandler, but his safety and recovery comes first. Same with the pitchers and other players. Deleo (we missed him too) took awhile to get back in the line up, but we needed him and Chandler to get better and stay better than rush back into play before the recovery would stick long term, because the worst thing they could do was put someone in early and they re-inflame or re-injure themselves.

Another example, from what I hear from Wiley, on the radio/TV etc., is that they're giving Finley plenty of time to be ready and get back in there. He's not slated to come back until late this month or early May. Could we use him now, YES. Should we, NO. He needs the proper rest, recovery, ramp up and reps to get back on the mound safely and to last and build long term on the mound. I certainly can and appreciate that and support that also (for obvious reasons).

Gotta trust, believe in, and support the staff and players. They're doing the best they can, with what they have and thinking strategically for upcoming games, depth charts, pitch counds, recovery days and schedule, fitness, development, etc.

As Kyle mentions on the broadcasts all the time - these players aren't trying to walk guys, miss plays, or make errors (fielding or throwing)....it is baseball - it is going to happen. A game of failures and how you recover and persevere and succeed in a sea of failure is the grit and talent these guys and coaches have that we can't imagine. Everyone is performing under a level of stress you can't imagine either.

Bad days and things happen. We all can relate to both. It's life. And in this case, it's baseball. Flush, wipe, and move on ;)

Let's go Jackets!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If someone isn't pitching or playing - there is probably a good reason for it. They're going to put our strategic "best foot forward" when and where they can and importantly WHEN they can.

There is development and exposure, which is great for the Freshman/transfers, etc and those on the road from recovery. As we saw with Chandler, they're not going to put someone in until they're cleared or ready to return. God knows we missed Chandler, but his safety and recovery comes first. Same with the pitchers and other players. Deleo (we missed him too) took awhile to get back in the line up, but we needed him and Chandler to get better and stay better than rush back into play before the recovery would stick long term, because the worst thing they could do was put someone in early and they re-inflame or re-injure themselves.

Another example, from what I hear from Wiley, on the radio/TV etc., is that they're giving Finley plenty of time to be ready and get back in there. He's not slated to come back until late this month or early May. Could we use him now, YES. Should we, NO. He needs the proper rest, recovery, ramp up and reps to get back on the mound safely and to last and build long term on the mound. I certainly can and appreciate that and support that also (for obvious reasons).

Gotta trust, believe in, and support the staff and players. They're doing the best they can, with what they have and thinking strategically for upcoming games, depth charts, pitch counds, recovery days and schedule, fitness, development, etc.

As Kyle mentions on the broadcasts all the time - these players aren't trying to walk guys, miss plays, or make errors (fielding or throwing)....it is baseball - it is going to happen. A game of failures and how you recover and persevere and succeed in a sea of failure is the grit and talent these guys and coaches have that we can't imagine. Everyone is performing under a level of stress you can't imagine either.

Bad days and things happen. We all can relate to both. It's life. And in this case, it's baseball. Flush, wipe, and move on ;)

Let's go Jackets!!

Mid-weeks are a time for development. My opinion is unless we find develop some more pitching talent, our post season chances are slim. It made sense to limit Hill to me since he could be used this weekend for an inning. One other consideration is that we have about 17 pitchers now, uncertain pitcher draft losses, transfers and about 8 coming in next year. Plus we'll be going from 40 to 35 roster limit. So these guys need their chances to be able to figure out who gets cut.

Anyway, we lost due due to lack of timely hitting - .182 with runners on but .333 overall. Ask FSU how that felt last Sunday.

No errors!

Pitching was good other than McNamee. On the night we threw 71% strikes (including NcNamee) and gave up 3 BB (1 HBP). Other than McNamee, gave up 12 hits total. Difference was GS hit .471 with runners on.

Flushed.

1649854219675.png

1649854648771.png

ScGold

Banned
I still don’t understand why we don’t use Cort roedig and Luke Bartnicki. Instead we really on unproven freshmen or transfers who shouldn’t even be playing in the acc. If Danny hall retired after this year Danny Borrel Better done as well. Sec continues to prove elite pitching produces NC more than elite hitting . BBCOR era is and we haven’t been to super regional since!
Have u watched Bart pitch? If no, rewatch his last 10 performances and you will understand why he is on the shelf.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Let's go Jackets!!
If what you say is true (which it 100% is) ... then "we" have a problem. We is the fanbase of old people [no offense, those who know who you are] posting on fan forums. Who can we blame for losses? We need targets for our angst.

Seriously... you do point out something pretty important. There is a LOT going on out of our sight and awareness that would explain a lot of the things we headscratch over. A LOT. The longer I follow Ga Tech baseball, the more questions I have that simply cannot be answered based on my 'distance' from the team. Not a complaint. Just a fact. I'm cool with that too.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan

Let's go Jackets!!
Wow. As a member of the radio team alongside Wiley, I can tell that I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

Unlike fans think, they don't manage just for that day. There are strategic plans that are meant for managing for days and weeks in advance. This is a lot deeper than what the average fan realizes and that's okay. It's why they get paid to make those decisions and others don't.

The post above is one of the best I've seen on this board...

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Mid-weeks are a time for development. My opinion is unless we find develop some more pitching talent, our post season chances are slim. It made sense to limit Hill to me since he could be used this weekend for an inning. One other consideration is that we have about 17 pitchers now, uncertain pitcher draft losses, transfers and about 8 coming in next year. Plus we'll be going from 40 to 35 roster limit. So these guys need their chances to be able to figure out who gets cut.

Anyway, we lost due due to lack of timely hitting - .182 with runners on but .333 overall. Ask FSU how that felt last Sunday.

No errors!

Pitching was good other than McNamee. On the night we threw 71% strikes (including NcNamee) and gave up 3 BB (1 HBP). Other than McNamee, gave up 12 hits total. Difference was GS hit .471 with runners on.

Flushed.

View attachment 12307
View attachment 12308
Let’s stop at your first sentence. It was commonly agreed coming into the season that our success would hinge on development of our pitching (and defense).
To date, it hasn’t developed as quickly as we had hoped. Personally, I think maybe I have had unreal expectations for Dbo and how quickly he can get improvement. ( As an aside, as a teach fan, I have been spoiled by Coach Rev (former coach Rev, sigh) of the basketball team where we saw transformation of multiple big men right before our eyes as the season progressed. I realize that basketball is very different from baseball …… none the less he somehow set an expectation level in my brain).

So, what is a realistic expectation? Just simply looking at the NCAA D1 leaders in ERA (which isn’t a great metric and doesn’t tell the entire story)

Cameron Bye. Wichita St. Soph. Last year 12 innings and a 4.79 era. This year 34 innings and a 0.24. Throw him out b/c 0.24 is ridiculous and obviously a fluke, lol.

Caleb Riedel Omaha. 3rd year soph. Last year 22 innings 2.14. This year 0.83 in 32+ innings. He was good and got better?

Tommy Steier. Creihhton. RS junior. Last year broken hand returned in May. 15 inning 4.02. No notably great prior seasons
This year 31 innings and a 0.87 ERA

Thatcher Herd UCLA FRESHMAN. 9th ranked RH pitcher. Says he is a converted catcher for goodness sake. Wonder how long he’s been pitching? 34 innings, 1.06 ERA

WILLIAM PRivette. College of Charleston. True soph. Last year 45 innings w/ 3.60. This year 34 innings with a 1.06. Good and got better.

Drew Beam Tennessee TRUE FRESHMMAN. 239 player overall, #9 out of TN. 47 innings 1.14 ERA

I’ll stop here b/c my lunch hour is over and the 6 guys above are a good mix of major and mid major teams. Interestingly enough they are all listed as sophomores or younger. But they do seem to be proof that there are guys that are developing in a positive direction and freshman who are making an instant-top-of-the-staff impact. A better analysis for purposes of this discussion would be one that looked at overall staff improvement for different teams year over year, but who has time for that?

Arguably the two guys who have improved the most for us are grissom (5.59 last year 4.06 this year in about as many innings this year as all of last year) and Huff (9.99 to 4.50 and already 42 innings this year vs 24 last). I think an argument can also be made for Sam Crawford improvement over multiple years. So those are “proof” that we are developing guys. OTOH as pointed out Siegel, Mannelly, Brown and Bartnicki have all “underperformed” this year in my opinion, at least in terms of consistency expected of pitchers that have been in the program for a while.

So, bottom line, what’s an old and impatient GT fan to make of this? We are at 5.85 era this year vs 5.71 last year (Hurter and Archer) and 4.71 in 2019 (no comparison when we had Thomas, curry, and hurter for part of the year). Can make the arguement we are about the same as last year while replacing our top two guys with freshmen, so I guess that could be encouraging. It will be telling if we can (continue?) to improve our pitching through the end of the year. The schedule (at least ACC) looks less daunting offensively, so that is what I am going to hang my hat on and hope for.

One other thing. There is one guy on here (that I know of) that has more personally riding on Dbo (and likely has more insight into the situation) than anyone else, and he seems to be all in on Dbo, so by virtue of that it gives me some level of confidence as well.

Rebuttals?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Let's go Jackets!!
This exactly. Great post. I also want to point out that we are lucky to have Paul Wolkoff as the trainer. He really knows his stuff.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Let's go Jackets!!
Great post!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
One other thing. There is one guy on here (that I know of) that has more personally riding on Dbo (and likely has more insight into the situation) than anyone else, and he seems to be all in on Dbo, so by virtue of that it gives me some level of confidence as well.

Rebuttals?
There's no rebutting putting your money where your mouth is. He knows his **** and has skin in the game. That's way more than enough for me.