Georgia State

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Next up... a wee little road trip over to Georgia St. The Panthers are 4-4 having dropped 4 in a row including being swept this weekend at Florida.

The Jackets exit February at 7-1 & enter the much more challenging month of March with this single midweek game the only thing between them & a showdown with UGA coming this weekend.

D1 Baseball's GSU breakdown:
Brad Stromdahl’s club could be ready to surprise some folks in 2022. The Panthers finished in the middle of the pack in the Sun Belt last season, and they return 97 percent of their production from that club. That should bode well … and there’s some quiet optimism around Atlanta.

The Panthers should have a strong pitching staff. Anchor righthander Ryan Watson is back for another season to command the No. 1 role in the weekend rotation. Watson had a 6.64 ERA in 59.2 innings last season, but was much better at the Northwoods League and during fall workouts, sitting 90-93 and up to 94 mph with his fastball, along with a solid slider. Veteran lefty Seth Clark also will be in the rotation, and he’s yet another guy on this staff with big-time potential. He was up to 90-92 mph with his fastball in the fall and he’s holding his velocity for longer stints. He also has two solid breaking balls and commands the zone well. LSU transfer Brandon Kaminer had a solid fall with a fastball up to 92-93 mph and commanded a solid slider that he showed with the Tigers at times last season, while righthander Dylan Matela is a big-time arm to watch. Matela has been up to 93-94 mph with his fastball and has the best spin rates on the team, while Mason Patel has a big arm and could be a huge factor if he’s healthy as the season progresses.

Offensively, the Panthers have an impressive crop of prospects throughout the lineup. Second baseman Caleb Stewart is a 70-grade runner with impressive power. He could lead off for the Panthers. Shortstop Griffin Cheney is a veteran who is Mr. Steady, outfielder Josh Smith is a former two-sport standout who’s ready for a breakout season and fellow outfielder Dalton Pearson is another breakout candidate. Pearson is a big-time defender with a strong arm, and he hit in the three-hole at times as a true freshman last season. He has impressive tools and is a high-grade runner. He will hit in the middle of the order and could rack up strong statistics. Last but certainly not least, third baseman Will Mize had a strong 2021 showing with a .290 average, five home runs and 25 RBIs, and he took another step forward in the fall. He’s also an excellent defender. Freshman infielder Jesse Donohoe will have to find his way into the lineup, but he has huge upside as well.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Still have a bad taste in my mouth from GState last year. Flying high off an early season Sweep of NCSU, Patel completely handcuffed us. I am sure if I remember it, the guys in our locker room do. Hope we avenge last year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Georgia State only won games over Purdue Fort Wayne. And Purdue Fort Wayne just lost 4 more to California Baptist. Neither team have I heard of before. Last time I thought we'd have no problem, we lost.

Georgia State played Kennesaw tight last mid-week.

Let's get lots of runs, no errors and audition lots of pitchers. No drama please!!!

1646072683000.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Grissom gets his 1st start of the season.

Interesting.

I will be curious to see how we play this game. We stank it up against Georgia Southern yielding 10 runs to a team that couldn't score 10 runs all weekend against UCF. with poor defense and pitching.

I have hopes for better.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.

I will be curious to see how we play this game. We stank it up against Georgia Southern yielding 10 runs to a team that couldn't score 10 runs all weekend against UCF. with poor defense and pitching.

I have hopes for better.

They put up more on us in 8 innings than in their other 53 innings combined. Yikes.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting.

I have hopes for better.
They put up more on us in 8 innings than in their other 53 innings combined. Yikes.
That's one way of looking at the "situation" ... there are 7 big (mostly dominant) wins peppered in there amongst all that one loss. ;)

[Sorry... couldn't get the grammar to work]

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Why does Georgia State's Stat Broadcast have bright red all over it? Last I knew, they wore blue. Are they just trying to piss us off before this weekend?

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
Lack luster at the plate (except for Parada obviously), but it was nice to see we can when a game like that. We'll definitely need to pull some of those out as the season goes on.

Excited for UGA, could set the tone for the season.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Need to update the WHIP and WHHIP stats. Second one includes hbp.

But great pitching. 12 SO, 1 BB and 3HBP. Only 5 hits.

Good D. No errors, 2 DP and at least one caught stealing.

Starting to play better baseball. Keep it up!
Not sure how easy it is to include the free bases that turn into runs, but our pitching staff did a GREAT job tonight of not allowing free baserunners or others to score! Great Job by our entire team to win tonight!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s great to be able to win games in multiple ways!! Feels good.

The only thing that seems we haven’t been able to clean up yet is HBP. Guess that means we are not afraid to go inside.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rematch tomorrow night 6PM. We won first one 4-2 on 3/1. They are putting together a good year with RPI of 31. 10-2 in conference. So they win conference and they are in NCAAs again.

They don't do as well away from home (most teams don't) and we get this one in ATL.

Staff day to audition for weekend starter? (I think Logan will be just fine; he's a Fr and even X had problems as a Fr.)

1649713753225.png

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
I still don’t understand why we don’t use Cort roedig and Luke Bartnicki. Instead we really on unproven freshmen or transfers who shouldn’t even be playing in the acc. If Danny hall retired after this year Danny Borrel Better done as well. Sec continues to prove elite pitching produces NC more than elite hitting . BBCOR era is and we haven’t been to super regional since!