Georgia Southern / Presbyterian College

THWG

Helluva Engineer
6.6 runs per game given the level of opposition thus far strikes me as a huge problem.

Once we get into ACC and SEC opponents, it's another matter, but sheesh!
I don't worry about pitching early in the year. Pitching always has to catch up to hitting. It's always been said that Spring Training is more for the pitchers than hitters in MLB.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don't worry about pitching early in the year. Pitching always has to catch up to hitting. It's always been said that Spring Training is more for the pitchers than hitters in MLB.

You may be right, but it worries me a bit seeing a large portion of the other top programs keeping run totals down. You could argue Wright State was a better opponent than some of them faced, but we also just conceded 10 to a GA Southern team that put up 3 all weekend at Tennessee.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
You may be right, but it worries me a bit seeing a large portion of the other top programs keeping run totals down. You could argue Wright State was a better opponent than some of them faced, but we also just conceded 10 to a GA Southern team that put up 3 all weekend at Tennessee.
I'd be hesitant to compare Southern's offensive performance against a midweek starter to how they did vs Tennessee's starting weekend pitching.

I see your point, but it's not quite apples to apples.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I'd be hesitant to compare Southern's offensive performance against a midweek starter to how they did vs Tennessee's starting weekend pitching.

I see your point, but it's not quite apples to apples.

That’s normally true but it’s not like we had a starter go deep and get beat up. They knocked the starter out in the 2nd and put up 7 after that. Bartnicki and Grissom are supposed to be major contributors to the staff and came away scathed.

I’m not trying to draw large conclusions from the four games being discussed here. But I’m worried.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I wasn't very clear...I thought we were ALLOWING 6.6 runs per game (it sounded about right to me) and I was dismayed by that.
I think your concerns are fair. Opponents are averaging over 7 runs per game. It's only 5 games... & we're 4-1; but if you're looking for early issues, it's something to watch. We've been behind in all 5 games... & behind late in a few. Given the competition, a 3-2 record (or worse) would look a lot different than 4-1 does.

The good news is that's not the case. I'm optimistic the team (& eyeball test) will improve as the depth we have will begin to bear fruit as the cream will rise to the top & roles will become more set.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think your concerns are fair. Opponents are averaging over 7 runs per game. It's only 5 games... & we're 4-1; but if you're looking for early issues, it's something to watch. We've been behind in all 5 games... & behind late in a few. Given the competition, a 3-2 record (or worse) would look a lot different than 4-1 does.

The good news is that's not the case. I'm optimistic the team (& eyeball test) will improve as the depth we have will begin to bear fruit as the cream will rise to the top & roles will become more set.
Love your optimism. I'm usually pessimistic (although I'm slowly getting better about that as I age), hence my concerns. You go, Fred!