Georgia Southern / Presbyterian College

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course we are favored to win tomorrow.

We'll see who pitches. Below are the 14 (! :):love::p) guys who pitched over the weekend. I think Finateri looked really good overall yesterday but was not favored by the Baseball Gods. (5 Ks, 2 BB and 1 HBP. But the HBP was to #55 who was hit like 4 times over the weekend - expert at crowding the plate. But the guy was a stud, didn't even use a elbow guard.)

Guesses to start? Roedig, Finley, and Medich are my WAGs. We still have 8 on the roster who haven't pitched, but some may be injured.

1645456575701.png

Anyway here is the way to early Warren Nolan prediction. First set of numbers is "R1" method and second is "Elo" method. After this I put a link to the basis for the Elo Prediction Method. I looked it up a few years ago and forgot the details, kind of interesting. The R1 predictor I can't find but think it is based on the current RPI which in this case is last year's. The Elo is based more on a running total of team rankings from season to season I think.

1645456400504.png

Last edited:

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we see Roedig start one game and I would like to see Grissom start the other one.

When does Finley come back from Tommy John?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I think we see Roedig start one game and I would like to see Grissom start the other one.

When does Finley come back from Tommy John?
I believe I read that Finley will be out for a significant part of the year (pitching wise) due to his TJ recovery. Still available to hit though. If I recall where I read that, I'll reference it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I believe I read that Finley will be out for a significant part of the year (pitching wise) due to his TJ recovery. Still available to hit though. If I recall where I read that, I'll reference it.
That's what I remember reading as well. I wouldn't expect him to pitch until late April.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Finley comments in GT's game notes vs. Wright state, page 5. Finley will "miss much of the season after Tommy John Surgery."

"He's projected to return to the mound near the end of the season with him maintaining the ability to hit for Tech until then."

If I recall, Finley was one of Tech's pitchers who hit D1Baseball's Heat Sheet with a high 90's fastball last year before he was shut down.

And now as I research it, in their week 12 Heat Sheet, he was at 97 along with the likes of Jack Leiter (likely subscription needed). https://d1baseball.com/prospects/week-12-heat-sheet-college-baseballs-hardest-throwers/

Big loss last year. Would be great to get him back at full strength later this year. You never know what you'll get after TJ surgery though. Some come back stronger, some can never get back to where they were.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
From D1 Baseball preview on Georgia Southern. Projected starter (Madden) is a graduate transfer who throws in the 90s.
‐----------------------------
Georgia Southern put together an impressive 2021 campaign with a 34-win season, and it should be much of the same for Rodney Hennon’s club in 2022.

For starters, the Eagles should have a quality pitching staff. Lefthanded pitcher Ty Fisher joins the program after spending last season at Tennessee Tech and tallying a 4.26 ERA in 76 innings along with 60 strikeouts and 15 walks. He’s a strike-thrower who sits in the 86-88 mph range with his fastball and can throw multiple pitches for strikes. The next three arms in the pecking order are better prospects than Fisher, but have more to prove. Jaylen Paden only worked 25 innings for the Eagles last season, but has electric stuff. He has a quick arm from a 3/4 slot, and will sit anywhere from 91-94 mph with his fastball along with a sharp slider and feel for a changeup. Ben Johnson, another righthander, will have a larger role this spring after making just four starts (21 appearances) last season. He has excellent command of the zone and will get up to 93-94 mph with his fastball, along with a workable slider and changeup. Then, there’s Towson graduate transfer lefty Danny Madden, who was 90-92 and up to 93 mph with his fastball in the fall, along with good feel for the slider and changeup. Those arms are just the tip of the iceberg for GSU. Thomas Ross missed much of last season with an injury, but has a low-90s fastball along with a big-time swing and miss breaking ball. He’ll occupy the closer role.

From an offensive standpoint, the Eagles have some guys who will need to step up, and they also look for some newcomers to make an instant impact. For instance, Alabama transfer Will Patota didn’t have a great 2021 campaign, but has a physical lefthanded bat and will hit somewhere in the middle of the order. Parker Biederer was one of the team’s most improved hitters in ’21, and he’s back for another season after hitting .336 last season. Shortstop Austin Thompson is another dependable veteran, while Jarrett Brown is an athletic, special kind of player, who just needs to find a way to put all the pieces together at the plate. Furthermore, Jason Swan is back and the second baseman position belongs to Kennesaw State transfer Jesse Sherrill, who might lead off for the Eagles and who has plus speed. He can bunt for hits and puts immense pressure on opposing teams with his legs.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Pitchers have struggled through 2, but have mitigated the damage. Two HBP and three hits, but only conceded 3 runs. Parada pulls two runs back on his first HR of the season. Down 3-2 middle 3.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, so much for mitigating the damage. Another HPB and two hits score another two runs for Southern. Tech down 5-2 end 3.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Looks like this one is going to be a long game. Tech answers with three on a Reid RBI single and Hall 2-run HR. Hall needed that, he’s gotten off to a slow start. 5-5 middle 4.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Southern scores to take the lead without a hit. A fourth HBP, passed ball, sac bunt and ground out fielders choice. Down 6-5 end 4.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Southern adds two more, both unearned, on a two-out walk then bouncer to the mound but Bartnicki throws it into right field. Brown comes in and gives up a 2-run double with two strikes. Good guys down 8-5 top 7. Four of Southern’s eight runs are unearned.

dadair6

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech comes back with a run in the 7th on a DeLeo double followed by a Simpson double. Simpson thrown out at third following the throw home. Simpson has four hits, but has been thrown out on the base paths three times. First time picked off first, second time on an overthrow to first he got caught taking second and now out at third trying to stretch another base. Down 8-6 bottom 7.