Georgia Southern is no option team

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard it and read it before and during the season how by UGA playing Georgia Southern gets them ready for GT. Well I watched them play last night and saw absolutely no resemblance to the triple option. Even on run plays their OL would block as it were a passing down ( nobody on the ground ). What I saw in Georgia Southern looked like ummmmm every other college team. If you want to know what our offense will look like with no Triple Option you should of watched Georgia Southern last night.

Think about it. We are Georgia Tech and by golly we run the damn Triple Option.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
UGA playing Georgia Southern gets them ready for GT
I think these comments came about when Monken was still at GSoU and running CPJ's triple option.

Fritz's option is one many here were clamoring for after we played them last year. I didn't get to watch the game (no ESPNU) but read a little of their message board this morning and it sounded like App State shut them down. Why? Their passing game was ineffective and App State stacked the box with 9. Some claimed pass blocking, some blamed WR but most claimed QB problems. It is still same as our triple option...you must be effective at both pass & run. If not, the D will stack the numbers against you.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Southern's best wideout is out for the season. And it's a brand new OL, more in line with what Fritz likes, even tho he was pleasantly surprised at how good the line he inherited from Monken was.
They got shut down by West Virginia in the opener. At least all mountaineer teams are out of the way.
There are a lot of folks still out there who associate Skuthern with the option/triple option, but that really isn't the case anymore. There is some read stuff but it's almost like what auburn and others are doing. Fritz, I think, wants to go to much more zone blocking - even if they did their share of cutting in the Tech game last year

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That was a very sad game to watch which, at times, reminded me of some of our games this season. Congratulations to App State for now being bowl eligible for the first time in their history.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Here is the UGA vs GA Southern preview for this year from SB Nation. Here are some quotes from the preview.... ( I don't want to even provide the link cause the writer is so up ugag butt and not very Tech friendly and I don't want to give him the clicks)

" Georgia Southern gives Bulldogs a solid option challenge leading up to the showdown on North Avenue"
" Georgia gets a prime opportunity to prepare for the option attack of Georgia Tech"
"find themselves significantly better prepared for Georgia Tech's offensive attack the following week"

Again just saying that after watching Georgia Southern in no way do I think it helps Georgia prepare for Tech. I mean to me it could have been Northern Illinois in Southern uniforms and I wouldn't have know.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I heard it and read it before and during the season how by UGA playing Georgia Southern gets them ready for GT. Well I watched them play last night and saw absolutely no resemblance to the triple option. Even on run plays their OL would block as it were a passing down ( nobody on the ground ). What I saw in Georgia Southern looked like ummmmm every other college team. If you want to know what our offense will look like with no Triple Option you should of watched Georgia Southern last night.

Think about it. We are Georgia Tech and by golly we run the damn Triple Option.
Not to offend but the TO is just one play.

OBS or Flexbone or....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fritz has compared his offense to Auburn's form of an option offense on multiple occassions. You could tell not having a viable passing game really hurt them last night. It's too dissimilar what GT is going through right now. Defenses loading the box and outright disrespecting our passing game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we ever drop the triple option AND I hope never, ee should go to the baylor, tcu, texas tech, ou air raid. It is what coach ran in Hawaii.
We cant be the same and compete.

Formulae
5 standard issue , not great but large lineman that can hold. ?
2 tall skinny tight ends with big hands part of power package.
1 bb thats short, solid andquick
4 wide receivers 2 tall slot that are pretty fast and 2 each on side line that are fast and go long on every play.
Then the qb .

The qb needs to have good arm and he should be able to run for a bit.

We ran this in high school. Our qb BJ Simmons went to texas tech 700 yards in one game with average receivers.
Spread the field wide and make them cover deep, giving easy 10 yd passes.

BufordJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If we ever drop the triple option AND I hope never, ee should go to the baylor, tcu, texas tech, ou air raid. It is what coach ran in Hawaii.
We cant be the same and compete.

You mention Baylor, TCU, TT, OU.....there are 16 teams currently that run this type of system including Kansas, Kentucky, and Washington State where I would say one of the original architects Leach has struggled. I could be wrong yu never know but we would just be another Kentucky and UGA would eat our lunch every year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GSU does run the triple option. It's a play they run often.

GT runs its option out the flex one.
GSU runs it out the pistol.