Georgia Southern, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tomorrow is going to come down to the quality of pitching.

Georgia Southern was a regional host last year. Lost some offense but largely kept pitching and coaching. D1 picks them to come in second in the Sun Belt Conference and thinks overall they could be better this year than last.

They went 2-1 against West Virginia at home over the weekend scoring a maximum of 6 runs in a game. Interesting, but mid-week games are different than weekend.

They have an excellent program and play real baseball. From D1 "Last year’s Eagles were a classic “lunch-pail” group whose work ethic and dedication to fundamentals carried them to new heights. Georgia Southern did not post sexy statistics, ranking in the 70s nationally in both scoring and ERA, and ranking outside the national top 120 in home runs and doubles per game. But it was a very well coached, disciplined club that executed the inside game (ranking second in the nation in sacrifice bunts) and took care of the baseball exceptionally well (eighth in fielding percentage)."

This is the type of team I respect the most. For me, small ball rules and our in-field would have been challenged even before the injuries to Campbell and Compton. Since we are away, I give us a 40% chance to win given everything I know; but that WAG will change when we see the projected starters.

1676895512233.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Schmolke had a solid inning when he was able to start it himself. His biggest issue were the 3 walks when he came in for Brown with the bases loaded and 2 outs.

Technically, I don't think he did walk a hitter with the bases empty, just with the bases full...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
• Georgia Southern is one of Tech’s most common opponents, having played 136 times since 1947. Tech owns a 104-32 advantage over the Eagles.

• Tech has won 12 of the last 13 matchups dating back to 2014.

• A revamped Yellow Jackets club is looking to replace the No. 1 offense in the country last season, and is bolstered by the No. 3-ranked recruiting class.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
For those of you interested in watching the game I see it is only available on the ESPN app if you pay for ESPN+. However if you have Hulu they carry all the ESPN+ games on there so you can watch it for free. I just pulled it up under sports/baseball/upcoming games and then added it to "my stuff" so I can watch it later if I am not able to catch it live.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For those of you interested in watching the game I see it is only available on the ESPN app if you pay for ESPN+. However if you have Hulu they carry all the ESPN+ games on there so you can watch it for free. I just pulled it up under sports/baseball/upcoming games and then added it to "my stuff" so I can watch it later if I am not able to catch it live.

Thanks. I guess it's a Tune In WREK night. Just turned on and it's Wiley :)

Given @FredJacket tic admonition of me having too much emotional investment in late teenagers / early 20s guys, I offer the following article for consideration (note my favorite sport is cycling so that has a different set of baggage, but there are commonalities).

Why are we fans?

"Most of all, we want our love for these athletes to be justified, for our intense emotional investment to not be misplaced. After all, it is impossible to love without trust. It is far easier to be cynical and bitter and be correct than it is to grieve for something you deeply believed in."

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
three straight walks to start the game. lol. Good grief Charlie Brown. I am going to save myself the pain of following along and just check the score tomorrow