Georgia hires Brian Schottenheimer as OC

Eli

Helluva Engineer
His NFL OC track record sucks. If the Rams had wanted to keep him he would still be there. He's a gator so maybe he will wreck their program like Muschamp did Florida's. In sports never hire someone to an important position whose loyalty is to one of your biggest rivals. Tech learned this the hard way.
Never hire some one that has an Alma mater is as prestigous as Florida and you aren't considered for an opening. Ga tech learned that the hard way as well

George P. Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
The thing is this guy wasn't brought in to install some new offense. He's here to run Richt's offense just like Bobo did. So while not a great hire I think it's not a big deal from a UGA perspective. Will this guy be able to recruit is the bigger question.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What I love is all the uga fans that are saying this hire is a grand slam...more like a swing and a miss.

Fool's gold. "Oh, look we got an NFL-guy. We'll really get the recruits now." Uh, getting recruits isn't your problem dawgs.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The thing is this guy wasn't brought in to install some new offense. He's here to run Richt's offense just like Bobo did. So while not a great hire I think it's not a big deal from a UGA perspective. Will this guy be able to recruit is the bigger question.

You have to ask yourself why in the hell would any self respecting NFL OC downgrade to a college OC job, and particularly why would you want to be a puppet OC running someone else's system?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
What I love is all the uga fans that are saying this hire is a grand slam...more like a swing and a miss.

You are oh so right , I just had to go into chippy Towers blog on the AJC and I starting cracking up after about 30 comments or so. One delusional dwags even made the comment about BS coaching some of the BEST QBs in the NFL!!!! I'm still sitting here trying to figure out who he's talking about!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
When you are a coordinator in the N F L and you take a demotion and a substantial pay cut like the one Shotty Jr just took I think its pretty clear that this hire will not end well for either party.

Think about it. Of all the up and coming and established bright offensive minds in the college game, they hire this guy? Its almost laughable. No... wait... it is laughable.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Re the hire: Meh.

Not a dumpster-fire hire akin to Bobby Bowden making son Jeff the FSU OC after Richt came to Athens, but not the least bit inspired. (If Kirk Herbstreit called this move as indicative of "thinking out of the box," then I would bet that Herbstreit believes vanilla ice cream to be a cutting-edge dessert choice.)

Let us all be thankful that no one on Tech's future schedules employed, e.g., Bob Stitt as OC. [Thank you, Montana Grizzlies.] Now THAT would have been "thinking out of the box."
http://missoulian.com/news/local/bo...cle_f3eed3e4-fe76-5193-a10d-7c344fb80218.html
Saw an espn special on him. His teams beat the hell outta people

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he has reached his ceiling and the NFL and wants a fresh start? Maybe he wants to be the next Saban or Meyer? Head scratcher for sure.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
True story-- Last year I put my hands all over his beautiful wife's naked body.

They came into a resort where I worked as a massage therapist. Took a pic of the whole schottenheimer crew. Marty actually winked at me when I faked as though I was dropping the camera into the relaxation pool. His wife was actually really sweet and very cool.

That's all I got!

Hope he fails miserably.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
As a 49er fan from NJ I've crossed paths with more than a few Rams and Jets fans through my travels. They are laughing at this hire big time. Both fan bases absolutely hate the guy. Granted I think it'll be pretty difficult to screw up the "hand the ball to Nick Chubb" offense.

not too much to do with Sanchez and Bradford.

An aside but Bradford's actually a decent QB when he can get on the field. But that's proven to be really difficult for him.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Spurrier, speaking Wednesday night, sounded surprised that his former Florida quarterback was coming back to the SEC.

“He’s been an NFL coach. I don’t know why he went to college,” Spurrier said. “Maybe he wanted to go back to college, or maybe it was just a good opportunity for him. That’s an excellent opportunity for any coach. Georgia always has a whole bunch of good players. They probably have been the most consistent team in the East. Well, maybe they haven’t, heck we’ve beat them four out of five years, but overall they have probably been one of the best teams on the Eastern side.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2015/01/07/351...r.html?sp=/99/160/166/823/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Spurrier, speaking Wednesday night, sounded surprised that his former Florida quarterback was coming back to the SEC.

“He’s been an NFL coach. I don’t know why he went to college,” Spurrier said. “Maybe he wanted to go back to college, or maybe it was just a good opportunity for him. That’s an excellent opportunity for any coach. Georgia always has a whole bunch of good players. They probably have been the most consistent team in the East. Well, maybe they haven’t, heck we’ve beat them four out of five years, but overall they have probably been one of the best teams on the Eastern side.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2015/01/07/351...r.html?sp=/99/160/166/823/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

That's great. Spurrier's comments of uga are always back handed. Love it! It's odd to me that they would hire someone that has never seen success. Kind of speaks to the stat of the program.
"Do you want to play for a guy that knows the NFL? We got a guy(or 2) who knows how to do just enough to not get fired."

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
gotta love Spurrier, his hatred of ugag knows no bounds

to me this is like Patrick Nix under Chan Gailey Part 2- The dwag version....featuring QB Brice Ramsey playing the part of AJ Suggs!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought UGA would get a stud OC...they can recruit talented offensive guys without trying too hard, and they have a lot of nice pieces already there. Then they hired Schottenheimer and I realized it's UGA, they make some questionable decisions all around that athletic department.

Schottenheimer is going to be okay, but UGA hired FAR below what they could. Richt is too married to the "We want to run a pro offense" mantra for recruiting that he's leaving out some of the brightest and most innovative offensive assistants in college. I'm OK with that because we have to play him every year. UGA will be dangerous once they realize they're UGA and can get elite recruits regardless of the system they run, and they can get some really good coaches because they can pay a lot of money. Instead, they will be stuck with playing far below their recruiting rankings because they have average coaches coaching elite talent. Like I said, I'm OK with that.