Georgia hires Brian Schottenheimer as OC

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Georgia has a new offensive coordinator, and the Bulldogs went to the NFL ranks to find him.

The program announced Wednesday that it has hired St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to take the same position and quarterbacks coach. Schottenheimer had spent the last three seasons in St. Louis and most of his career in the NFL, as he's also served in the same position for the New York Jets from 2006-11.

The 41-year old does have some college experience, however, spending the 1999 season as Syracuse's wide receivers coach and coaching tight ends at USC in 2000.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...brian-schottenheimer-as-offensive-coordinator

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"A native of Denver, Colo., Scholttenheimer is a former Florida Gators quarterback who served as a backup to Danny Wuerffel from 1994-96. He began his college career at Kansas. He graduated from Florida in 1997 with a degree in exercise and sports science."

Exercise and Sports Science!

Is it necessary for me to list all 35 Georgia Tech majors or do you guys get the point?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yawn..
This guy's track record is less than mediocre. I mean yay for NFL predigree but it's not like he left any kind of permanent mark in the pros.
He was the QB coach for Sanchez nuff said.

thwgjacket

"A native of Denver, Colo., Scholttenheimer is a former Florida Gators quarterback who served as a backup to Danny Wuerffel from 1994-96. He began his college career at Kansas. He graduated from Florida in 1997 with a degree in exercise and sports science."

Exercise and Sports Science!

Is it necessary for me to list all 35 Georgia Tech majors or do you guys get the point?
He's good at stretching?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
His offenses in the NFL definitely don't look to amazing, granted when you're working with the personal of the Jets and the Rams... not too much to do with Sanchez and Bradford. I mean he's never been fired from his position and has been in the NFL for a while. I mean I hope he brings offenses like the Jets and the Rams to UGA. His family(dad) definitely fits the bill for UGA: Win a decent amount but no championships.

Just saying its hard to compare NFL and College success. Saban and Spurrier sucked it up in the NFL. Groh has a Super Bowl ring as a DC. Hard to correlate because you have the added in factor of recruiting the players you want for your offense vs hopefully drafting who you want. I kind of wonder if they brought in an NFL guy specifically for recruiting because he has those connections and experience. That way they can sell that and keep that 2016 kid Eason from jumping ship.

I was personally rooting for Kurt Roper since we saw what kind of dumpster fire UF was on offense last season. Hopefully, this is another step in UGA falling apart.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Re the hire: Meh.

Not a dumpster-fire hire akin to Bobby Bowden making son Jeff the FSU OC after Richt came to Athens, but not the least bit inspired. (If Kirk Herbstreit called this move as indicative of "thinking out of the box," then I would bet that Herbstreit believes vanilla ice cream to be a cutting-edge dessert choice.)

Let us all be thankful that no one on Tech's future schedules employed, e.g., Bob Stitt as OC. [Thank you, Montana Grizzlies.] Now THAT would have been "thinking out of the box."
http://missoulian.com/news/local/bo...cle_f3eed3e4-fe76-5193-a10d-7c344fb80218.html

Last edited:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I won' be too hasty in calling this a bad hire. After all he had good success as head coach of the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers. Oh, wait.... it's Brian, not Marty. Never mind.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
His NFL OC track record sucks. If the Rams had wanted to keep him he would still be there. He's a gator so maybe he will wreck their program like Muschamp did Florida's. In sports never hire someone to an important position whose loyalty is to one of your biggest rivals. Tech learned this the hard way.