Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Have I seen the contract? No. Have I heard about it from people in the know? Yes. It's an accepted practice. My understanding is that AD's don't object because they get a great hire (a former coach as an analyst for $3K a month) and the HC has wide latitude to hire who he wants.
The FBS coaching community is pretty small, and when you factor in coaching "trees", most of them know each other either directly or by reputation. So the practice that you are describing doesn't surprise me.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The FBS coaching community is pretty small, and when you factor in coaching "trees", most of them know each other either directly or by reputation. So the practice that you are describing doesn't surprise me.
It’s the “kick back” payments to the HC that gives the struggling guy a chance that seem a bit shady to me, but I’m not really surprised.

slugboy

Staff member
He doesn't need the money. Maybe his ego needs the attention but not his wallet.

He shouldn't have an ego after his last 🛑. He's had his day in the sun.

Unless he's humble, he'll never recover imho.
I would understand if he doesn’t think he should take all of the blame, but how do you look back and not say that the majority of problems were from your own causing?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just sent Andy McCollum a post about his first season at Sewanee. The Tigers went 3 -8, but injury played a big part in that. In his reply Coach Mccollum ventured this opinion:

"Collins was the worst hire in history at Power 5. I’m still enjoying watching my 9 guys play in the NFL that I recruited there. "

Amen to that!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I just sent Andy McCollum a post about his first season at Sewanee. The Tigers went 3 -8, but injury played a big part in that. In his reply Coach Mccollum ventured this opinion:

"Collins was the worst hire in history at Power 5. I’m still enjoying watching my 9 guys play in the NFL that I recruited there. "

Amen to that!
CAM might be one I’d try to hire back, if he wants to let go of a HC position that he earned.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would understand if he doesn’t think he should take all of the blame, but how do you look back and not say that the majority of problems were from your own causing?
If he were seeing a counselor he would be asked at some point, “What do you feel like you learned from that experience?”

But he is not the type to see a counselor and he certainly would not like the question.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
CAM might be one I’d try to hire back, if he wants to let go of a HC position that he earned.
I think he'll stick at Sewanee for the near future. He started 16 freshmen this year and if his RB hadn't gotten hurt the Tigers would have done a lot better. (The young man in question cuts a 4.4 forty, almost unknown at that level.) I was very relieved when he was hired; Sewanee had had a long line of coaches who didn't have any idea of what they were doing. At least this year the Tigers looked like a football team. Sorta like another team we know…

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think he'll stick at Sewanee for the near future. He started 16 freshmen this year and if his RB hadn't gotten hurt the Tigers would have done a lot better. (The young man in question cuts a 4.4 forty, almost unknown at that level.) I was very relieved when he was hired; Sewanee had had a long line of coaches who didn't have any idea of what they were doing. At least this year the Tigers looked like a football team. Sorta like another team we know…
Andy is one of my all time favorite coaches at Georgia Tech. Terrific recruiter and all around good guy.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Franklin is Penn States Mark Richt. Good enough to beat the teams he has built in advantages against but not a good enough coach to beat teams at his level or above his level. I also have Penn State connections and want them to move on as he’s proven what he is. I’d rather take a chance on a new coach who can try and move them up a tier. But I also understand being happy to win 9 games a year against the nobodies is appealing.
Richt averaged winning just under 10 games per year over a 15 year span at UGA. That’s elite.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If Collins was so bad, why was he nominated for assistant coach of the year at all three of his DC stops? How did he go to bowls both years as HC at Temple?

People don't want to look at all the facts--they just want a person to blame. I've explained a dozen times why the combination of the players Johnson left behind, the failure of GT to give Collins an adequate budget for assistants, and Covid preventing on campus recruiting to upgrade the talent base (the 2020 class was rated higher than this year's, then Covid hit in 2021). It was the perfect storm, and few, if any, coaches could have been successful.

I don't know if he could have been successful if he had inherited the talent Johnson inherited from Gailey, and he had a better budget for coaches. But people who want to blame Collins and call him names are just showing their ignorance. The issues are far more complex. The mistake Collins made was taking the job. He was enamored with coming back to Atlanta--and his ego got in the way--and he didn't look at all the downside.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think the FCC would allow what CPJ called TFG to be printed or spoken over the airwaves. Heck, most rappers would be embarrassed by the words I would have used had I been CPJ.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Johnson was successful at Tech. His record doesn't show it. Firing Chan Gailey rather than making him hire a quality OC-- Pat Nix was a joke---was the beginnig of the downward trend created by a horrible succession of ADs from Braine to Stansbury.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
If Collins was so bad, why was he nominated for assistant coach of the year at all three of his DC stops? How did he go to bowls both years as HC at Temple?

People don't want to look at all the facts--they just want a person to blame. I've explained a dozen times why the combination of the players Johnson left behind, the failure of GT to give Collins an adequate budget for assistants, and Covid preventing on campus recruiting to upgrade the talent base (the 2020 class was rated higher than this year's, then Covid hit in 2021). It was the perfect storm, and few, if any, coaches could have been successful.

I don't know if he could have been successful if he had inherited the talent Johnson inherited from Gailey, and he had a better budget for coaches. But people who want to blame Collins and call him names are just showing their ignorance. The issues are far more complex. The mistake Collins made was taking the job. He was enamored with coming back to Atlanta--and his ego got in the way--and he didn't look at all the downside.
Wow. This is the first time I’ve heard anybody try to make this argument, I.e., that Geoffrey wasn’t one of the worst head coaches to ever pilot a D1 college football program.
Everyone agrees that he faced difficult, even unique, challenging circumstances, but most everyone also recognizes that almost anyone else would have done a better job and been more successful under the same circumstances.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Johnson was successful at Tech. His record doesn't show it. Firing Chan Gailey rather than making him hire a quality OC-- Pat Nix was a joke---was the beginnig of the downward trend created by a horrible succession of ADs from Braine to Stansbury.

How many Orange Bowls did Sir Collins pilot us to?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Mrs. Collins, is that you? You are the only one I could think of that may realistically have the desire to defend the worst hire in Power 5 football history. Or perhaps Mrs. Stansbury? :ROFLMAO: ;)

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

So why has no one picked him up yet?

Indiana - Indiana - fired their defensive-minded head coach after 3 losing seasons. He was picked up as a P4 DC less than a month later.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
1.If Collins was so bad, why was he nominated for assistant coach of the year at all three of his DC stops? How did he go to bowls both years as HC at Temple?

People don't want to look at all the facts--they just want a person to blame. I've explained a dozen times why the combination of the players Johnson left behind, 2.the failure of GT to give Collins an adequate budget for assistants, and Covid preventing on campus recruiting to upgrade the talent base (the 2020 class was rated higher than this year's, then Covid hit in 2021). It was the perfect storm, and 3.few, if any, coaches could have been successful.

I don't know if he could have been successful if he had inherited the talent Johnson inherited from Gailey, and he had a better budget for coaches. But people who want to blame Collins and call him names are just showing their ignorance. The issues are far more complex. 4.The mistake Collins made was taking the job. He was enamored with coming back to Atlanta--and his ego got in the way--and he didn't look at all the downside.
Look, I was supportive of our program and it's head coach until it personally affected me and made me embarrassed to be a Tech fan. That was during the Ole Miss game, which was 1 game before he was fired. While I can agree with some of your points, the bolded ones I have comment for:
1. Much different being an assistant coach and running the entire program. And fyi, each team nominates a coach for that award.
2. So the AD that was able to add some funding to the football program that CPJ said was starved, DENIED additional funds to the guy HE hired?
3. Wow...our margins of defeat were historic. Many records were set for point differential and we were shut out at home for the first time in over 50 years...multiple times under his watch.
4. Amen!

Let's bury this thread like TFG buried our program and rally around this team that fights and never gives up!

Status
Not open for further replies.