Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was interested in the experiment. I was and continue to be of the mind that CPJ was one of the best "coaches" to have prowled the flats.

The guy has a scheme, and the ability to mold it against what the D gave him, that hasn't really been matched (maybe some of the stuff Goose helped do was similar).

CGC was a direct 180 degree turn away from a schematic professional scheme coach towards a full double down on "juice, drip and swagger". I enjoyed the thought experiment of the whole thing - but feel like we were all caught off guard by the NIL. CGC didn't have the ability to coach when it mattered, and it also seemed like whatever he touched was worse for it. So while I don't know that it was as pure as I originally thought it would be (Scheme v Recruiting) we saw enough for me to be happy to get back to an old school coach.

That said, it doesn't do anyone much good to public stone our current staff so I did what I could to find the positive during his tenure here (which was admittedly harder and harder as the years and Ls piled up).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was interested in the experiment. I was and continue to be of the mind that CPJ was one of the best "coaches" to have prowled the flats.

The guy has a scheme, and the ability to mold it against what the D gave him, that hasn't really been matched (maybe some of the stuff Goose helped do was similar).

CGC was a direct 180 degree turn away from a schematic professional scheme coach towards a full double down on "juice, drip and swagger". I enjoyed the thought experiment of the whole thing - but feel like we were all caught off guard by the NIL. CGC didn't have the ability to coach when it mattered, and it also seemed like whatever he touched was worse for it. So while I don't know that it was as pure as I originally thought it would be (Scheme v Recruiting) we saw enough for me to be happy to get back to an old school coach.

That said, it doesn't do anyone much good to public stone our current staff so I did what I could to find the positive during his tenure here (which was admittedly harder and harder as the years and Ls piled up).
Agree BUT

Who is CDC?

I think you mean TFP

TFP was so bad no one even thinks about the Gailey/ Johnson change.
TFP was so terrible he made people believe he would snap out of it and just be bad.

Remember the first spring teaining and fall preparation when he revolutized pracfices. He had players running to next drill . Had them going so fast he got the scout team to HAVE THE SAME REPS AS THE STARTERS. He said the "scout team guys" knowing the plays could be the difference in game.
What a goof ball

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Bump, gotta keep this thread at the top. Everybody should know the thoughts and feelings of the GT fanbase in regard to Coach clown

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Bump, gotta keep this thread at the top. Everybody should know the thoughts and feelings of the GT fanbase in regard to Coach clown
I can go all night.
TFP got the money to put the fancy step counter for everyone. Then had expert due regression analysis to determine when players lost effectiveness. Then wasted coaches time reading graphs and agreeing when players need to be given break because next guy would be fresher.
Guys are dinged up, other getting stronger, the data is dated,

Then 3 days after a lost TFP brags about his system = very efficent substitutions. We lost but my system is great

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can go all night.
TFP got the money to put the fancy step counter for everyone. Then had expert due regression analysis to determine when players lost effectiveness. Then wasted coaches time reading graphs and agreeing when players need to be given break because next guy would be fresher.
Guys are dinged up, other getting stronger, the data is dated,

Then 3 days after a lost TFP brags about his system = very efficent substitutions. We lost but my system is great
My brother who is a surgeon says there is gallows humor in his field around the concept “The surgery was successful but unfortunately the patient died.”

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I still come down squarely on the side of “scheme”.... I think...but Maybe that’s not the right word. The coach needs to be a leader first and foremost and needs to be good game day manager as a close second (is that really “scheme?”)
After that, there are a whole lot of debatable topics including recruiting, branding, marketing and “scheme.”
Johnson had an obvious scheme, but he was also a GREAT leader. I think the unique, demonstrative scheme was the focus for most and it deemphasized the other qualities and leadership that played a huge role in making Johnson great. Collins pushed branding and recruiting but I’m not sure anyone ever really “bought in.” Not a good leader. At all.
It took Key a grand total of 7 days to change the trajectory of last years team almost entirely. It wasn’t a change in scheme, and there was obviously no change in talent, but there was CLEARLY a change in leadership.
I kind of think WHAT you’re doing matters less than how much everyone believes in what you’re doing. You have to have talent and you have to have a plan and most importantly everyone needs to believe in both.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I still come down squarely on the side of “scheme”.... I think...but Maybe that’s not the right word. The coach needs to be a leader first and foremost and needs to be good game day manager as a close second (is that really “scheme?”)
After that, there are a whole lot of debatable topics including recruiting, branding, marketing and “scheme.”
Johnson had an obvious scheme, but he was also a GREAT leader. I think the unique, demonstrative scheme was the focus for most and it deemphasized the other qualities and leadership that played a huge role in making Johnson great. Collins pushed branding and recruiting but I’m not sure anyone ever really “bought in.” Not a good leader. At all.
It took Key a grand total of 7 days to change the trajectory of last years team almost entirely. It wasn’t a change in scheme, and there was obviously no change in talent, but there was CLEARLY a change in leadership.
I kind of think WHAT you’re doing matters less than how much everyone believes in what you’re doing. You have to have talent and you have to have a plan and most importantly everyone needs to believe in both.
Very much agree with this. Paul Johnson was a good coach and would've still been a good coach without the triple option. In fact, I'd argue it hurt him more than it helped him once Monken and Bohannon were hired away (and Spencer fired for what was a minor infraction in retrospect).

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I was conflicted. From the get go he reminded me of some sociopaths I’ve dealt with in the past. All the red warning lights were flashing but I kept thinking maybe others knew something I didn’t. So I kept hoping. Longer than I should have.
I liked hire initially, thinking TFG would, among other things, improve relations the local media ( those who control a lot of the PR narrative). I began to have my doubts when, at the first spring game, he had the team line up in a TO formation then shifted out of it. He started waving his arms up and down to the crowd to get us cheering the change, holding off actually running a play for 30 seconds or so, pumping his arms the entire time. He lost me with his press conferences where he not only dissed CPJ, but also CPJ’s players, many who were still on the team. Well, he lost me with that and his inability To coach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Very much agree with this. Paul Johnson was a good coach and would've still been a good coach without the triple option. In fact, I'd argue it hurt him more than it helped him once Monken and Bohannon were hired away (and Spencer fired for what was a minor infraction in retrospect).
TFP paid handsomely to get low paid Toledo assistant coach to come gt.
Why pay way more to get to a bigger stage? Hmm?? The premium was coaching under TFP was a big career risk.

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
At the outset, I also had high hopes for the new approach, but I think we learned quickly that it was really all just a mess. TFGs continued focus on the Morpheus guy as if he were some savant(when in fact, he probably was no better than any undergrad student skilled using marketing and graphics software) really just showed how off-base and clueless the dude was.

Not to retangent this discussion but has Tech really changed engineering degrees to a BS cuz mine from the early 90s clearly says Bachelor or Civil Engineering. In my thinking, using the word science for an engineering degree is simply redundant and I have always reveled in the fact that the institute chose to keep the degree names compact. Although, I guess the joke could be made that there is no science in a BCE degree🤣.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
At the outset, I also had high hopes for the new approach, but I think we learned quickly that it was really all just a mess. TFGs continued focus on the Morpheus guy as if he were some savant(when in fact, he probably was no better than any undergrad student skilled using marketing and graphics software) really just showed how off-base and clueless the dude was.

Not to retangent this discussion but has Tech really changed engineering degrees to a BS cuz mine from the early 90s clearly says Bachelor or Civil Engineering. In my thinking, using the word science for an engineering degree is simply redundant and I have always reveled in the fact that the institute chose to keep the degree names compact. Although, I guess the joke could be made that there is no science in a BCE degree🤣.
Re: Degrees.... I don’t think that’s what happened. the Building Construction degree in the 90s fell under the school of architecture, not an engineering school. I don’t know why they called it a bachelor of science other than to maybe further distinguish from an engineering discipline?
I do think the engineering courses are still “bachelor of ______ engineering”

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I kinda like being a BEE from GT. Seems apropos with our mascot. I also thought quarter system was great. What do I know? 🤷‍♂️
It was in general a good move to go to BSEE. It removed a few classes and let the student take more electives in their area of major. BEE 89 and i was frustrated how little specialization I could get due to all the required EE courses. Yes it made it "easier" to get the BSEE but better. And yes worst coach of all time!!!!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I kinda like being a BEE from GT. Seems apropos with our mascot. I also thought quarter system was great. What do I know? 🤷‍♂️
That is cool = BEE
U m
As ME I remember taking junior class in circuits which had a portion on amplifiers circuit.
We had to devlope current and voltage equations for various points on the circuit given a driver. I could figure it out. So before finals i pulled an all nigher in a classroom in the EE buildinfg ( used to have post office). Got up, did review, aced the text, walked out, shock my head, forgot it all.

Did remember the concepts

I wish we had a undergrad that lead to geyying a medica

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was that Moad's circuit class i.e. the EE weed out class?
Yea, it was a mandentory ME.
I cant imagine the EE Moad circuit.

Ivdid kearn about Amplifier gain to instability. A con guy was trying to get my company to buy a tech thatcwould survey pipeline location from helicopter. He had all kinds of examples with clean signals on an Enron pipeline. He wanted us to rent a chopper and get some more data to sell to next company. He got 250$k from Enron. I said need tocsee a land demo in a spot we all agreed upon. Got him to set up atcset distance off pipeline. He turned with computer and it kept going till he got a reading. Then i turned on an electric drill . He had to turn up tge gain but it went unstable. NO INTEREST. Circuit class Gt! Later found out the con had digitized the enron pipeline location coordinates from usgs maps.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I guess the only question left on here, since we’ve clearly established that Collins was the worst coach all time at Tech, is will anyone take a chance on him in the future? Or, put another way, what will his rehabilitation look like?

And if he has some shot at rehabilitation how will it compare to previous Tech coaches like Carson, Lewis and O’Leary, each of whom had unique circumstances that needed “rehabilitation?”

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I guess the only question left on here, since we’ve clearly established that Collins was the worst coach all time at Tech, is will anyone take a chance on him in the future? Or, put another way, what will his rehabilitation look like?

And if he has some shot at rehabilitation how will it compare to previous Tech coaches like Carson, Lewis and O’Leary, each of whom had unique circumstances that needed “rehabilitation?”

Any school that gives him another shot at HC is taking a big gamble. As much as I am disappointed with his time here at Tech, he does have some value in some places. HC is not a position any team should let him have again.

Status
Not open for further replies.