Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
38-0, Paul.
I think the season after the 3-win season GT won 9 or 10 games. I'll forgive a guy a 3-win season -- acorns and blind hogs etc. -- but it takes an amazing lack of stil to have three in a row and get off and running on a 4th.

Until now I never understood why the AD did not come down hard on his head ball coach for all the excuses and finger pointing. Shoot, GT had a football coach and neither of them were football guys. hope the AD gets part of that $11.5 million buyout.

I think we have heard the last of Collins. (Of course he could advertise as an expert in getting punts blocked. The downside of firing him is his headlong plunge toward a record was interrupted.)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
He chose Patenaude and Thacker. He chose to run a high percentage of plays we didn't have the athletes to execute. That's only half the equation & we're not even mentioning special teams. Also, everyone else faced Covid just the better teams figured out how to deal with it.

How do you explain the D crapping the bed with all the NFL talent on the team?
You could argue the DL should be weak, but how was our secondary atrocious with all that talent?
Why did an NFL caliber RB get so few carries? Specifically why did the carries he was best suited for often go to the guy that wasn't as well suited for them?
How did Graham help Brown tie Calvin's record & Sims can't come anywhere close throwing the ball deep downfield despite being an Elite 11 QB & playing with a better OL?
How in the world did Taquon Marshall who was definitely not a "real" QB have a higher ypa than Sims despite his "tiny, undersized, weak, not suited for pass blocking OL" ?

There was no reason for any of this to happen the way it did. He made choices, bad choices & they turned out badly. Bad leadership selected a bad coach with a bad strategy, who was bad at planning, sourrounded himself with bad coaches, who did a bad job of player development, coached their systems very badly, then executed very badly on gameday followed by bad post-game analyses in preparation for the next week which tuned out just as bad. And he behaved very badly doing it.
Yes, this is all true, but can it not also be true that Lewis did much worse and more harm by tearing that 1994 apart.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
People are overblowing what Lewis took over. That team was unranked the year before and needed a last second field goal to beat Furman. They also lost to a 3 win South Carolina team. We were a great program in 1990. We weren’t a top 15 program in 1991.
Wha?

We were preseason #8 in 1991. We went 8-5, 5-2 in conference , which was tied for second behind Clemson (our two losses were both on the road to Clemson by 2 points and to NC State by a TD whom we tied at 5-2). We won our Bowl game against #17 ranked Stanford and ended up just outside the Top 25 at #26 in the polls. We underachieved that year, but we definitely had Top 15 talent. Some of the it may have been hangover from winning the MNC the year before, but you have lost your mind if you think we did not have a talented program in 1991.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Wha?

We were preseason #8 in 1991. We went 8-5, 5-2 in conference , which was tied for second behind Clemson (our two losses were both on the road to Clemson by 2 points and to NC State by a TD whom we tied at 5-2). We won our Bowl game against #17 ranked Stanford and ended up just outside the Top 25 at #26 in the polls. We underachieved that year, but we definitely had Top 15 talent. Some of the it may have been hangover from winning the MNC the year before, but you have lost your mind if you think we did not have a talented program in 1991.
We went 8-5 because we went for two against Stanford and pulled it off. If that play goes the other way we are 7-6, the record we bashed Gailey and Johnson for. That team was an ok team. Certainly not near the top 15. Maybe they had top 15 talent on paper, I have no way to verify that objectively, but they certainly didn’t play like it. Lewis didn’t do very well with them. That much is obvious, but he didn’t exactly take Florida St and turn them into Duke.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
He chose Patenaude and Thacker. He chose to run a high percentage of plays we didn't have the athletes to execute. That's only half the equation & we're not even mentioning special teams. Also, everyone else faced Covid just the better teams figured out how to deal with it.

You could argue the DL should be weak, but how was our secondary atrocious with all that talent?
Why did an NFL caliber RB get so few carries? Specifically why did the carries he was best suited for often go to the guy that wasn't as well suited for them?
How did Graham help Brown tie Calvin's record & Sims can't come anywhere close throwing the ball deep downfield despite being an Elite 11 QB & playing with a better OL?
How in the world did Taquon Marshall who was definitely not a "real" QB have a higher ypa than Sims despite his "tiny, undersized, weak, not suited for pass blocking OL" ?

There was no reason for any of this to happen the way it did. He made choices, bad choices & they turned out badly. Bad leadership selected a bad coach with a bad strategy, who was bad at planning, sourrounded himself with bad coaches, who did a bad job of player development, coached their systems very badly, then executed very badly on gameday followed by bad post-game analyses in preparation for the next week which tuned out just as bad. And he behaved very badly doing it.
You're overly emotional response is mostly a tangent unrelated to what I said. But you do you. Dare I ask but now you're making accusations of behaving badly?

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
GT was 8-5 in 1991 because of 21 fumbles and 18 interceptions given up - 39 turnovers in 13 games. There was a lot of talent to overcome it. Incredibly: Big Play Clay had 9 picks by himself out 18 taken for our D.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We went 8-5 because we went for two against Stanford and pulled it off. If that play goes the other way we are 7-6, the record we bashed Gailey and Johnson for. That team was an ok team. Certainly not near the top 15. Maybe they had top 15 talent on paper, I have no way to verify that objectively, but they certainly didn’t play like it. Lewis didn’t do very well with them. That much is obvious, but he didn’t exactly take Florida St and turn them into Duke.
And if Sisson makes that 44 yard FG against Clemson at the end of the game, we win the ACC. See I can do it too.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I do not think it is close. Collins did not take Top 15 program and turn it into the most dysfunctional, underachieving 1-10 team in the history of college football. Yes, I am upset with how poorly Collins performed, but I will always be pissed at what B*** L**** did to our program. He was and is a cancer.
Lewis would beat G**** 99 times out of 100. And I loathed both of them.

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
It's worth noting that ross coached the 9 1 team, not lewis . He left for the chargers after the 91 season
I

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Tell us how you really feel.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Tell us how you really feel.
I don’t love the guy. Some do. Not sure why. Engineers tend to be logical, but when it comes to that guy it appears logic goes out the window for some. It’s interesting but not worth it. We got Key and we need to win.

Go Jackets!

Status
Not open for further replies.