Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We need a poll - B*** L**** or G**** C******?
I do not think it is close. Collins did not take Top 15 program and turn it into the most dysfunctional, underachieving 1-10 team in the history of college football. Yes, I am upset with how poorly Collins performed, but I will always be pissed at what B*** L**** did to our program. He was and is a cancer.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to quit enabling people hell bent on repairing Collins’ reputation. They keep wanting to bring him up for what purpose I have no idea. It’s not like GT gets better because he 95% sucked instead of 99% sucked. It was a lot of suck.
yeah, but when he 95% sucked, there is no reason to embellish and say he 99% sucked. People aren't defending Collins; they are pointing out when someone is embellishing (and it's stupid because you don't need to embellish his suckness).

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think continuing to pile on this forum is a waste of time. I clearly would vote on Collins being the worst coach in GT history. But at the end, I would rather the fanbase support the team and hope (I know not a strategy) we find the right AD and head coach to turn this thing around. Let's see if we make any progress this week on such simple things as not getting punts blocked, managing the clock and having the courage to replace players if they are not giving 100%.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Let's see if we make any progress this week on such simple things as not getting punts blocked, managing the clock and having the courage to replace players if they are not giving 100%.
That’s a resume killer for the staff. If they want another year at GT, knock off the loafing. It’s just not acceptable, at all.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will update my 115 years of GT football at some point. Collins is the worst coach we have ever had. Only Bill Lewis was close.

Though this week our J Howell Power Ranking was .375. In 2019 to present he never got us to a .400 (40% likely to beat the average FBS team on a neutral field). I don't do football stats anymore since they only tend to piss me off.

1664568841906.png

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I will update my 115 years of GT football at some point. Collins is the worst coach we have ever had. Only Bill Lewis was close.

Though this week our J Howell Power Ranking was .375. In 2019 to present he never got us to a .400 (40% likely to beat the average FBS team on a neutral field). I don't do football stats anymore since they only tend to piss me off.

View attachment 13197
Does that mean: That in the past 77 years(excluding Collin's time) only three years have been less than .400 (one under Curry, one under Ross, and one under Lewis) yet every single year (and 1/2) of Collin's tenure was below that mark?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 13197

View attachment 13197
Looks like my stock portfolio...choppy. I am somewhat surprised that only three times has Tech been below the .400 standard since World War II and surprised that Curry's teams were below that standard just one year and that the much maligned Pepper was never below that standard. Although Curry's first team was barely over the standard so he came close to breaking that barrier twice.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 13197
Collins did not anywhere close to the talent that Lewis had and squandered. There were close to a dozen NFL players on that 94 squad that went 1-10.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does that mean: That in the past 77 years(excluding Collin's time) only three years have been less than .400 (one under Curry, one under Ross, and one under Lewis) yet every single year (and 1/2) of Collin's tenure was below that mark?

Yes unless I miss reread something. I'll try to do try this weekend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Collins did not anywhere close to the talent that Lewis had and squandered. There were close to a dozen NFL players on that 94 squad that went 1-10.

Wasted talent and changing schemes are too hard to graph.

Gt donations/average Acc donations per year should define our expectation level.

My gut tells me we are always below aversge and may have recently approached the botton quarter.

JacketFan137

Banned
collins is terrible obviously but idk lewis wrecked a legit contending team into 1-11. collins too a .500 team into a .250 win team. i also think lewis came at a time where we actually had some momentum as a program and good seasons could have really catapulted us forward

we had zero positive momentum going into collins tenure. he just took a flat line and turned it into a decline.

ultimately just depends on how you view the scenario but this is like arguing the difference between **** and crap. you don’t want either

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
No one will admit it but Collins transitioning from the triple option and facing Covid and playing crazy hard OOC schedules did factor in the records. Not trying to argue he did a good job but it matters when comparing him to other coaches too

GT33

Helluva Engineer
No one will admit it but Collins transitioning from the triple option and facing Covid and playing crazy hard OOC schedules did factor in the records. Not trying to argue he did a good job but it matters when comparing him to other coaches too
He chose Patenaude and Thacker. He chose to run a high percentage of plays we didn't have the athletes to execute. That's only half the equation & we're not even mentioning special teams. Also, everyone else faced Covid just the better teams figured out how to deal with it.

How do you explain the D crapping the bed with all the NFL talent on the team?
You could argue the DL should be weak, but how was our secondary atrocious with all that talent?
Why did an NFL caliber RB get so few carries? Specifically why did the carries he was best suited for often go to the guy that wasn't as well suited for them?
How did Graham help Brown tie Calvin's record & Sims can't come anywhere close throwing the ball deep downfield despite being an Elite 11 QB & playing with a better OL?
How in the world did Taquon Marshall who was definitely not a "real" QB have a higher ypa than Sims despite his "tiny, undersized, weak, not suited for pass blocking OL" ?

There was no reason for any of this to happen the way it did. He made choices, bad choices & they turned out badly. Bad leadership selected a bad coach with a bad strategy, who was bad at planning, sourrounded himself with bad coaches, who did a bad job of player development, coached their systems very badly, then executed very badly on gameday followed by bad post-game analyses in preparation for the next week which tuned out just as bad. And he behaved very badly doing it.

JacketFan137

Banned
He chose Patenaude and Thacker. He chose to run a high percentage of plays we didn't have the athletes to execute. That's only half the equation & we're not even mentioning special teams. Also, everyone else faced Covid just the better teams figured out how to deal with it.

How do you explain the D crapping the bed with all the NFL talent on the team?
You could argue the DL should be weak, but how was our secondary atrocious with all that talent?
Why did an NFL caliber RB get so few carries? Specifically why did the carries he was best suited for often go to the guy that wasn't as well suited for them?
How did Graham help Brown tie Calvin's record & Sims can't come anywhere close throwing the ball deep downfield despite being an Elite 11 QB & playing with a better OL?
How in the world did Taquon Marshall who was definitely not a "real" QB have a higher ypa than Sims despite his "tiny, undersized, weak, not suited for pass blocking OL" ?

There was no reason for any of this to happen the way it did. He made choices, bad choices & they turned out badly. Bad leadership selected a bad coach with a bad strategy, who was bad at planning, sourrounded himself with bad coaches, who did a bad job of player development, coached their systems very badly, then executed very badly on gameday followed by bad post-game analyses in preparation for the next week which tuned out just as bad. And he behaved very badly doing it.
he’s not our coach anymore big bro. you can let this all go and breathe. getting this angry isn’t gonna change anything

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I do not think it is close. Collins did not take Top 15 program and turn it into the most dysfunctional, underachieving 1-10 team in the history of college football. Yes, I am upset with how poorly Collins performed, but I will always be pissed at what B*** L**** did to our program. He was and is a cancer.
People are overblowing what Lewis took over. That team was unranked the year before and needed a last second field goal to beat Furman. They also lost to a 3 win South Carolina team. We were a great program in 1990. We weren’t a top 15 program in 1991.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
People are overblowing what Lewis took over. That team was unranked the year before and needed a last second field goal to beat Furman. They also lost to a 3 win South Carolina team. We were a great program in 1990. We weren’t a top 15 program in 1991.
Let’s move on. Talk bout the future….

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just stop with the option transition nonsense please. And every team in the country faced COVID…news flash, we performed worse than most during that stretch. There is zero excuse for how little this guy achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.