Geoff Collins worst GT coach of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Prove me wrong.

In 1980, Bill Curry took over from a triple option coach. Through 3 years and 4 games, he won 21.6% of the games.

In 2019, Collins took over from a triple option coach. Through 3 years and 4 games, Collins won 26.3%.

You're wrong.

Collins is the worst kicking and punting coach, however. Not cleaning that up was begging to be fired.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In 1980, Bill Curry took over from a triple option coach. Through 3 years and 4 games, he won 21.6% of the games.

In 2019, Collins took over from a triple option coach. Through 3 years and 4 games, Collins won 26.3%.

You're wrong.

Collins is the worst kicking and punting coach, however. Not cleaning that up was begging to be fired.

1980 was a bit different atmosphere all together. The president was wanting us in dIII. (taking over from a TO at that time wasn't really an issue as most teams were running it and the bone was still in the NFL some). Curry was fighting having absolutely no resources and not really knowing how to coach.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

You're wrong.

We did not run the option in Pepper’s last two or three years. With Eddie Lee, we were in a I formation all year. In 1979, Mike Kelly was throwing the ball around a little bit with Spurrier as his QB coach. Schedule was a lot different too, had a lot of big time programs on our schedule in the early 1980s. And Curry only had a couple of years as an assistant coach on his résumé. This was a pure Tech guy play.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
1980 was a bit different atmosphere all together. The president was wanting us in dIII. (taking over from a TO at that time wasn't really an issue as most teams were running it and the bone was still in the NFL some). Curry was fighting having absolutely no resources and not really knowing how to coach.
The "not knowing how to coach" was right on. He was learning on the job. He got picked because he was a Dodd boy and alum with great image. Took him a while but he got better. He had good assistant coaches. Lindsay was a really good one. George Welsh was interested in the job at the time but I had heard he wanted some academic concessions. That's almost laughable now.

John R

Georgia Tech Fan
The team looked better (the athletes)…but that didn’t look like a well coached team to me. A blocked punt (#4 on the year) and stupid penalties killed us today. As someone else said, a “c” coaching effort would have got us a win.
Four blocked punts this year. Now that's nothing but bad coaching!

Hoss

Georgia Tech Fan
A Former player and Kelly quinlan said he was the reason DMo left and wouldn’t let him travel with team or say the prayer before hand

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, B*** L**** took a team that four years earlier won a MNC with loads of NFL talent, and he personally destroyed the entire locker room going 1-10. Collins is a bad head coach, but if there is one positive is that he still not as bad as B*** L****.
Bill went 1-7 in 1994, not 1-10. Lewis did not coach the last three games of 1994.

Regardless, I think we can agree that they were both bad coaches and there are more exciting things afoot at Tech right now.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Bill went 1-7 in 1994, not 1-10. Lewis did not coach the last three games of 1994.

Regardless, I think we can agree that they were both bad coaches and there are more exciting things afoot at Tech right now.
The team went 1-10 in 1994. Regardless if he was still there or not for the last three games, that was his mess.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When a coach gets fired, ALL the skeletons come out of the closet. This is just the beginning.

I hope this isn't true mainly because I don't want a reason to actively dislike Collins.

It really seemed like SCAR just gave him more money and an official position that GT had never been willing to give him. Maybe a new AD/HC can realize what value he added and try to lure him back.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope this isn't true mainly because I don't want a reason to actively dislike Collins.

It really seemed like SCAR just gave him more money and an official position that GT had never been willing to give him. Maybe a new AD/HC can realize what value he added and try to lure him back.
I wouldn't be surprised if Collins was told that DMo was taking up one of the limited number of football admin positions, so Collins pushed him out to use that position for a consultant or recruiting coordinator.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, but he was really really close to correcting it 😆

At least we didn't block our own punt...

1664217986605.png

Status
Not open for further replies.