Geoff Collins in with Chuck Oliver

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The man is the ONLY person to be nominated for the Broyles Award 3 times. People don't get nominated for being able to market well. Collins is a proven great coach. Just because his expertise in on the other side of the ball from the last guy doesn't mean it counts for less.

We get it, you don't like him. At 3-9, he won 1 more game than Paul Johnson did in his first season at Navy. All while having the worst offensive line in college football, a banged up/undersized DL, and 3 unexperienced QBs transitioning from Paul's offense. What did you expect? And was Paul a bad coach because of his first season? He hadn't proved he could win at "big boy" football at this point. Sure winning a bunch of games in a lower classification is nice, but that doesn't count. Ask those who are judging CDP.

Should we have beat The Citadel? Absolutely? If you're basing Collins' ability to coach on one game, you should probably stop. The man has brought more positivity to GT than we've had in a long time. We just had one of the best recruiting classes all time. While not significant, we made progress throughout the year last year. Our OL will look like a P5 OL this year, we have 3 ultra talented RBs to share carries, a young but ultra talented QB room, and a solid to maybe above average WR group. Our offense should be much better this year. We will be more experience and more talented on the D side of the ball as well. Though I do think we will need to play some of the guys we just brought in.

My question to you is, what would make you think Collins is a good coach this year? Is it solely based on wins? Do you care about player development/progression? What would do it for you?
I remember when Paul went 3-9....

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
IMO Collins is an outstanding coach but he has to be more than that as the Head Coach. My issue is his choice of assistants. Patenaude will not be able help get the team to the level Collins is selling. Yeah we were depleted last year. Tons of things were working against us But look at his, Patenaude, game film from Coastal. He had plenty of time and resources to run what he wanted and how he wanted. From what I see that will not cut it at the P5 level. I just don’t see him out coaching anyone
I could be wrong Its just what I am seeing

I have my doubts about Patenaude but I don't see his time at Coastal as an indication he can't cut it at the P5 level (you shouldn't take that to mean I think he CAN cut it at the P5 level). What I have seen from him is that he seems to do well when he has the depth and type of players he wants to run what he is good at. But I respect your opinion and could be convinced you're right. What I have NOT seen from him, and this is the basis for almost all of my concern, is the ability to do well when what he has isn't the ideal player at each position for what he likes to do. That doesn't mean he can't do it, I just haven't seen evidence of it. So for me he's still got a lot to prove in order to alleviate my concerns. Given what he inherited, though, I'm gritting my teeth and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Coach Patenaude is, thus far, the only coach about whom I have any concerns. I really like Thacker as a DC. He has a lot to learn and he is certainly inexperienced. But I think Geoff is the right guy to mentor him through his youth while keeping the attacking mentality. And I think the position coaches did a pretty good job with as big changes as they were trying to make all across the board (not talking about talent level, just talking about scheme and new directions in general on both sides of the ball at every position).

Scubapro

Banned
I have my doubts about Patenaude but I don't see his time at Coastal as an indication he can't cut it at the P5 level (you shouldn't take that to mean I think he CAN cut it at the P5 level). What I have seen from him is that he seems to do well when he has the depth and type of players he wants to run what he is good at. But I respect your opinion and could be convinced you're right. What I have NOT seen from him, and this is the basis for almost all of my concern, is the ability to do well when what he has isn't the ideal player at each position for what he likes to do. That doesn't mean he can't do it, I just haven't seen evidence of it. So for me he's still got a lot to prove in order to alleviate my concerns. Given what he inherited, though, I'm gritting my teeth and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Coach Patenaude is, thus far, the only coach about whom I have any concerns. I really like Thacker as a DC. He has a lot to learn and he is certainly inexperienced. But I think Geoff is the right guy to mentor him through his youth while keeping the attacking mentality. And I think the position coaches did a pretty good job with as big changes as they were trying to make all across the board (not talking about talent level, just talking about scheme and new directions in general on both sides of the ball at every position).
I feel the same in regards to Thacker
If we have any success he will be the first to get poached

stech81

Helluva Engineer
IMO Collins is an outstanding coach but he has to be more than that as the Head Coach. My issue is his choice of assistants. Patenaude will not be able help get the team to the level Collins is selling. Yeah we were depleted last year. Tons of things were working against us But look at his, Patenaude, game film from Coastal. He had plenty of time and resources to run what he wanted and how he wanted. From what I see that will not cut it at the P5 level. I just don’t see him out coaching anyone
Other than the offense coordinator which he gets a pass on last year, I'm fine with the other coaches. With the amount of money he was given you can only hire what you can. CBK is a great OL coach. CTC will be one of the best recruiters and the running back love him. The defensive coordinator is young and will learn very fast . The problem is if we don't get his pay up someone will grab him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We shouldn’t be fearful that success will breed opportunities for our coaches. That’s a positive thing. We should want to be the place a hungry coach wants to be at to put that stamp on his resume that he’s elite.

I didn’t read fearfulness in what Scubapro was saying. It sounded more like respect and recognition of a talented young coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Lots here insulting his ability to coach defense. But. Its the narrative. He is a very very good coach.

many insult dabo the same way imo. How many Oc has he had? 3 or 4? But......

Scubapro

Banned
I didn’t read fearfulness in what Scubapro was saying. It sounded more like respect and recognition of a talented young coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I was trying to say I think he has the most potential to be an up and coming coach if we have success

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

From what I’ve seen, CDP is the only one that is questionable. I think this season will tell a lot though.

The rest of the assistants seem lime they’re doing a good job from the outside looking in. I really like Thacker, Key and Choice. Seems like the kids love them as well.

I will agree though that having the right assistants will make a big impact on Collins’ long term success here. I hope we don’t have another Sewak situation ever again. Whether that is CDP or anyone on the staff. Give them a chance to prove themselves, but once it’s evident they can’t cut it, time to go.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I’ve seen, CDP is the only one that is questionable. I think this season will tell a lot though.

The rest of the assistants seem lime they’re doing a good job from the outside looking in. I really like Thacker, Key and Choice. Seems like the kids love them as well.

I will agree though that having the right assistants will make a big impact on Collins’ long term success here. I hope we don’t have another Sewak situation ever again. Whether that is CDP or anyone on the staff. Give them a chance to prove themselves, but once it’s evident they can’t cut it, time to go.
The CEO HC model isn’t cheap. It requires a sizable assistant coach salary budget. Good OCs are expensive. Fans need to start donating.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why does the “CEO HC” model require a large assistant budget? What coaching model doesn’t require a large assistant budget?

If your HC was hands down one of the top OC/DCs in the nation prior to moving to HC, then you can save on the budget. We did it for years with CPJ serving as HC/OC. When the HC is a CEO type who's actual coaching skills aren't nearly as strong, then you need to be willing to pay top dollar for assistants, ala the Clemson model. I also like this idea when you have a relatively new HC like CGC, who is entering his 4th year as a HC, 2nd at P5 level. As has been mentioned, CGC was a Broyles nominee 3 times, so there are indicators of success. Indicators are not assurances though, so surrounding him with as much talent as money can buy is never a bad idea.

All this to say, this does not imply that the CEO HC is a poor coach, just that he's maybe not as strong as others.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If your HC was hands down one of the top OC/DCs in the nation prior to moving to HC, then you can save on the budget. We did it for years with CPJ serving as HC/OC. When the HC is a CEO type who's actual coaching skills aren't nearly as strong, then you need to be willing to pay top dollar for assistants, ala the Clemson model. I also like this idea when you have a relatively new HC like CGC, who is entering his 4th year as a HC, 2nd at P5 level. As has been mentioned, CGC was a Broyles nominee 3 times, so there are indicators of success. Indicators are not assurances though, so surrounding him with as much talent as money can buy is never a bad idea.

All this to say, this does not imply that the CEO HC is a poor coach, just that he's maybe not as strong as others.
CGC is absolutely one of the best defensive coaches in college football. Look at his pedigree, and look at the players he’s helped develop. As for CPJ being his own OC, he was probably one of less than 10 HC who called their own plays on either side of the ball. Malzahn has been his own OC at Auburn for his entire tenure, but since their offense struggle this year they went out and hired an OC. Surrounding any head coach with the best assistants and most talent money can buy is never a bad idea. You don’t think CPJ would’ve won more with better assistants? You don’t think having someone like Brian Bohannon or Jeff Monken be an offensive analysis/co-coordinator would have helped the offense develop? You don’t think hiring a DC like Mel Tucker would’ve improved the defense?

I understand your point about CPJ saving money by being his own OC. But, that made him a rare breed, regardless of his scheme. CPJ did a pretty great job for what he had to work with, but let’s not act like he couldn’t have used some help. As for saying a CEO coach isn’t a strong as others, that point has no foundation to stand on. There’s no basis for that statement other than CGC struggled to win games last year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

CGC is absolutely one of the best defensive coaches in college football. Look at his pedigree, and look at the players he’s helped develop.

No one said otherwise. I mentioned that he was nominated three times for the Broyles award.

Surrounding any head coach with the best assistants and most talent money can buy is never a bad idea.

Agreed. My track record on this site has been one of advocationg for more football spending.

You don’t think CPJ would’ve won more with better assistants?

I never said otherwise.

You don’t think having someone like Brian Bohannon or Jeff Monken be an offensive analysis/co-coordinator would have helped the offense develop?

No. CPJ was the master at his scheme and I don't think giving his proteges a better title or duties would have materially increased offensive output. It's the main reason I was so big on moving away from the 3O when CPJ retired as I felt any replacement would be a significant downgrade from the master.

You don’t think hiring a DC like Mel Tucker would’ve improved the defense?

Absolutely, though I am not a huge Mel Tucker fan, but I get your overall point here.

I understand your point about CPJ saving money by being his own OC. But, that made him a rare breed, regardless of his scheme. CPJ did a pretty great job for what he had to work with, but let’s not act like he couldn’t have used some help.

Again, I never said he didn't

As for saying a CEO coach isn’t a strong as others, that point has no foundation to stand on.

As with most opinions, it is fairly subjective, but I think most astute football fans would agree Dabo Swinney isn't historically great at clock management and has been criticized at times for his X's and O's skills, but when you win 2 NCs in a three year window....

To the point, a lot of CEO coaches aren't always the top OC/DC available but have shown they are quality HC material. I also pointed out that the CEO HC didn't imply that the coach was a poor coach.

There’s no basis for that statement other than CGC struggled to win games last year.

You are reading way too much into the statement. I was speaking in generalities to answer your general question. I have no clue how good a coach CGC will end up being, So far, nothing in his head coaching record tells me he will be a failure, and there are indicators suggesting we hit a home run with the hire. I have said as much many times on this site. Just because I won't prematurely crown him the next great GT HC doesn't mean I am not a fan. I have been one of his biggest defenders on the subject of the record last year.

That being said, my point still stands. You can succeed without a large salary pool for assistants. That was the question I answered. It has been done before and it will be done again. We'd better hope so anyways because we certainly aren't breaking the bank in our spending.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't give Oliver or Chernoff the time of day. They have never done anything other than crap on Tech. I know Collins is spreading his gospel but for those 2, I would tell them take that 77 mile drive so you can put those lips right on the Dawgs arse!

Go Jackets!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only if he eventually shows that he can coach as well as he can market...
Or hire assistants that can coach. That’s really the key. I have no doubt in his abilities as a defensive coach. I’ve got a ton of doubts on his ability to manage a game and employ a competent OC, but I’ll remain fair on my opinions on those points for another year. I want to see us improve across the board. Do that and I’ll get excited.

Btw, that means wins too, not just looking better. Five at minimum. 4-8 wont make me feel very good about where we are headed. 5-7 would be meh, but I could be convinced we were headed the right direction.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Thanks I was trying to say I think he has the most potential to be an up and coming coach if we have success
Sorry Scubapro if my post made it seem like you were fearful, had concern, etc. What I was trying to say was that as fanbase we get too concerned about coaches leaving to chase their dreams. Getting promoted is a sign of success. I think we can all agree there’s a recent coach that almost universally people believed overstayed his usefulness. Maybe we’d have been more successful had that man moved along?