General News about Key and his Staff

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Take this with a grain of salt, as even I could probably recruit well given access to uGA's bag men resources...but still, not bad.

And when he went to UT, the Tennessee fans seemed pretty excited. "Wow. I would've sworn Saban would get him." Supposedly Saban wanted him to replace Pruitt when Pruitt went to UT, and Pruitt hired him as DC first.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Thacker may be on the way out based on these recent moves.

I was wondering about this, too. That being said, Sherrer was named Co-DC, as opposed to DC - so if they know he's leaving, they're either doing him a solid by not reporting it yet...or nothing's final.

I've said before that I was completely wrong about Thacker - the way the D came together this year after CGC left was incredible. I hope he'll still be here for a bit longer.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Thacker may be on the way out based on these recent moves.
I simply look at the Sherrer hire as getting Thacker a veteran presence that can help him make defensive calls and decisions. Now that TFG is gone and we have an offensive mind as HC, it makes perfect sense to me to get some senior stability on that side of the ball. I guess we’ll find out if it’s anything more pretty soon…

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Thacker was in the loop on these moves and approved of them. Or not. Stay tuned...
I don’t think they’re naming anybody as Co-DC if there were any intentions on replacing Thacker. Unless he leaves on his own accord I think he’s expected to be the DC, or at least now the Co-DC, for next year’s team.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think they’re naming anybody as Co-DC if there were any intentions on replacing Thacker. Unless he leaves on his own accord I think he’s expected to be the DC, or at least now the Co-DC, for next year’s team.
Key could have had the conversation with Thacker that it’s a position or nothing and Key is just hiring his DC. I realize demotions don’t happen much but I doubt Thacker would land a P5 DC job elsewhere.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how this new assembly of defensive and offensive coaching teams come together as a staff, in developing their individual position groups, recruiting, and ultimately how it all fleshes out on the field. It is an exciting time as a GT fan to see how well our new HC Key has done in working within a budget in order to assemble a staff that reflects his “visions of what he wants GT Football to become.” Here’s to 2023 and greater levels of success!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we finally have a staff of football guys rather than cheerleaders. I’ve been harsh on Key not giving the previous guy a code red, but he’s earning me back (although the scoreboard is really all I care about after 4 years of word diarrhea). One game I seriously thought Marco Coleman was gonna bust the previous guy right in the face. Thacker is the last cheerleader left, but as a young coach he had to appease his boss so I get it. He also showed us something after Key took over. I’m looking forward to the position group battles and see who emerges.