General News about Key and his Staff

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on the Geep Wade hire?

Other than hoping it's not pronounced 'Jeep'..

AppSt board seems mixed. Some say good riddance. Others say, if he was so "bad", why're 2 of their OL named 1st team all conference and 1 named 3rd team? Seem to be including TE in that.
I'm underwhelmed by both assistant hires so far. For all the complaints about Chadwell potentially bringing G5 guys with him, Key seems to be going after G5 guys that their fanbases aren't sad to see go. I would think with $7.5m/yr for staff we would be aiming a little higher. Perhaps Key wants an army of analysts and is trying to put the extra money towards that. I don't know.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow

AppSt board seems mixed. Some say good riddance. Others say, if he was so "bad", why're 2 of their OL named 1st team all conference and 1 named 3rd team? Seem to be including TE in that.
I'd bet that is short for G.P. Wade. His first name is Gideon.
Worked with a Geep for awhile - an actual George P. . . . just not Burdell. (although last name starts with a B and is a GT grad)

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Faulkner's Possession Efficiency (which takes out the SoS factor that caused his #10 ranked offense in YPG to somehow be the 92nd best offense by FEI in 2017) was 37, 36 and 54 at Ark State in his 3 years. I respect that FEI is a useful stat that digs further beyond raw averages, but when it produces statistical anomalies like that, it's missing something. I'm sure even Football Outsiders would be looking to reconcile that. FWIW, Zack Kittley's OFEI was 45th at Texas Tech this year. TT's was 25th the prior year. And offenses that produce rushing yards by spreading defenses out and throwing it 2/3rds of the time, while to be respected for their scheme accomplishments, are finesse. Win with whatever system works, but Key is going to be more familiar and comfortable with some systems than others. I was all behind Chadwell, but that fell through.
It's because total yards is a useless stat that has no bearing on winning games.

ESPN FPI has them rated 83 in 2017.

If you want to just look at "raw" FEI, they were ranked 45th in offense without accounting for SOS. They scored 2.41 points per drive, good for 38th place. Their yards per play also came in at 38th and points per play at 37th. Given that they were only bottom of the top 40 with a 127th ranked SOS means FEI and ESPN are closer to being right than wrong here.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd bet that is short for G.P. Wade. His first name is Gideon.
Worked with a Geep for awhile - an actual George P. . . . just not Burdell.
Found this on him on Savannahnow. Also included a snippet on why he stepped away from football.

Following his time as offensive coordinator at Tennessee-Martin in 2018, he worked in his family’s business in the healthcare industry. Even his name speaks to his family’s tradition.

Geep Wade is Georgia Southern's new offensive line coach

“My real name is Gideon Pillow Wade IV,” Wade said. “My dad, grandad and so forth heritage went by ‘Gid.’ My mom didn’t want to call me ‘Gid’ so for the first two days of my life it was just the initials, G.P. It’s been great. I love my name. The worst part about my name was the first days of college when they would call out my real name and I had to explain and all the girls were looking at me.”

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, personally I wouldn't mind having Bryan Ellis. He made $235,000 this past year and with the salary pool announced for Key, this should be an easy hire to throw money at. Faulkner just got a raise to bring him to $200,000 annually which is another hire we should be able to throw some money at. Seth Littrell was making $1.35M before he was hired so he might be out of our price range. Honestly, of the smaller schools in the Top 50, there isn't a single person we shouldn't be able to afford. That's why I'm baffled that we keep talking about how we can't afford this guy or that guy. Maybe our position isn't attractive right now, but it shouldn't be because of the money if the pool is truly as large as reported.
My point exactly.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Found this on him on Savannahnow. Also included a snippet on why he stepped away from football.

Following his time as offensive coordinator at Tennessee-Martin in 2018, he worked in his family’s business in the healthcare industry. Even his name speaks to his family’s tradition.

Geep Wade is Georgia Southern's new offensive line coach's new offensive line coach

“My real name is Gideon Pillow Wade IV,” Wade said. “My dad, grandad and so forth heritage went by ‘Gid.’ My mom didn’t want to call me ‘Gid’ so for the first two days of my life it was just the initials, G.P. It’s been great. I love my name. The worst part about my name was the first days of college when they would call out my real name and I had to explain and all the girls were looking at me.”
blinkwtf-wtf.gif

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It's because total yards is a useless stat that has no bearing on winning games.

ESPN FPI has them rated 83 in 2017.

If you want to just look at "raw" FEI, they were ranked 45th in offense without accounting for SOS. They scored 2.41 points per drive, good for 38th place. Their yards per play also came in at 38th and points per play at 37th. Given that they were only bottom of the top 40 with a 127th ranked SOS means FEI and ESPN are closer to being right than wrong here.
That doesn’t have any “expectation compensation” though, does it? Was it both a low-end schedule and a low-end roster? What did conference mates do?

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I have some good news, and some bad news.

Bad News, it in indeed pronounced Jeep, rhyming with "Keep".

Good News, App St averaged something to the tune of 5.2 yds per rush this last season and only gave up 17 sacks.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That doesn’t have any “expectation compensation” though, does it? Was it both a low-end schedule and a low-end roster? What did conference mates do?
Roster doesn’t play a roll nor does what your conference mates do. The raw numbers are that they were a second quartile offense in the 38-44 range. Then the weak SOS affects the ultimate ranking (I believe FEI uses some sort of machine learning to determine what is expected performance based on SOS, I don’t know what FPI does).

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is kind of surprised then if this is in fact Key’s choice that he hasn’t been allowed to leave his current role as analyst Navigate the new career with GT

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if Smart wouldn’t release him or if he wants to finish it out. Plus will he dare wear his Georgia bling on campus. Talking about national championship rings in SEC

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is kind of surprised then if this is in fact Key’s choice that he hasn’t been allowed to leave his current role as analyst Navigate the new career with GT

Or Key interviewed a bunch of people for the position. Then negotiated tough in order to maximize his remaining funds for assistants and staff. So, the process just took a while.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if Key asked him this as the opening question in the interview. How do you answer this question? What’s the good word? How bout them dogs?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Or Key interviewed a bunch of people for the position. Then negotiated tough in order to maximize his remaining funds for assistants and staff. So, the process just took a while.
You may be correct. Perhaps the formal offer was just made and time will tell how quickly he assumes the role as OC.