General News about Key and his Staff

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible we already have our OC on campus and we're working on getting the pieces around him that can really help him? Just a thought I had. Think someone else a few days back mentioned that maybe we already have him, they did not say we do, just threw it out there.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty obvious to infer that Key wants an offense that can be physical running the ball. Regardless of what the FEI numbers might say, the kind of pass-happy offense Ellis runs is not going to fit the team identity Key wants.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty obvious to infer that Key wants an offense that can be physical running the ball. Regardless of what the FEI numbers might say, the kind of pass-happy offense Ellis runs is not going to fit the team identity Key wants.

Rumor was he wanted Collins to go after Zach Kittley (Air Raid) before landing on Long. I wouldn't infer anything at this point with Key.

Also, Ellis had a good running game at GA Southern.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Rumor was he wanted Collins to go after Zach Kittley (Air Raid) before landing on Long. I wouldn't infer anything at this point with Key.

Also, Ellis had a good running game at GA Southern.
GSU was almost 2 to 1 pass. Look up the stats. There's a difference between a statistically 'good running game' and a balanced offense. I'm not saying Ellis wouldn't be a good hire, but Key made it pretty explicit he wanted a physical, not finesse team. He may have flirted with the idea of going to a Leach-tree type spread, but now that the team is his, that would not fit his identity. That's all I was saying.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GSU was almost 2 to 1 pass. Look up the stats. There's a difference between a statistically 'good running game' and a balanced offense. I'm not saying Ellis wouldn't be a good hire, but Key made it pretty explicit he wanted a physical, not finesse team. He may have flirted with the idea of going to a Leach-tree type spread, but now that the team is his, that would not fit his identity. That's all I was saying.

There are different variations of the Air Raid. The newer generation of the Air Raid guys, who include Kittley and Ellis as well as the Riley brothers, put a premium on the running game. Just because it's from the Leach tree does not imply it's a "finesse" offense, nor does the pass to run ratio. His lead RB at GSU this year almost ran for 1,000 yards. The three leading RBs at GA Southern all averaged 5.5 yards per carry or better. GSU's 2nd best RB had almost as many yards as our lead RB. None of our 3 leading RBs had over 4.8 yards per attempt.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
There are different variations of the Air Raid. The newer generation of the Air Raid guys, who include Kittley and Ellis as well as the Riley brothers, put a premium on the running game. Just because it's from the Leach tree does not imply it's a "finesse" offense, nor does the pass to run ratio. His lead RB at GSU this year almost ran for 1,000 yards. The three leading RBs at GA Southern all averaged 5.5 yards per carry or better. GSU's 2nd best RB had almost as many yards as our lead RB. None of our 3 leading RBs had over 4.8 yards per attempt.
Spin it all you want, Techster. You don't have to proselytize the virtues of the air raid offense to me. GSU attempted 565 passes to 350 rushes. It's okay to be a fan of a certain kind of offense (air raid, option), but being in denial about the style of offense our HC prefers is another thing. There is nothing about Brent Key's career at UCF, Bama or here that would suggest he would suddenly become an air raid guy out of nowhere. Faulkner and Barbay's offenses have been much more pass/run balanced, even run heavy. It is not a surprise they are the finalists for the job, by all accounts.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why no movement this week on Key's staff, OC in particular? Other programs are filling spots. Seems like it would be important for this recruiting cycle to get the coordinators in place. Has Thacker been named or we still in limbo on DC as well? Just wondering what's going on. Smells a little like the head coach search where, for better or worse, we 'settled' (don't take that the wrong way, I was all for Key for a number of reasons). But I really thought / hoped that by going with Key, we would have some level of additional resources to get a 'higher' profile OC. Who could we be waiting on???
No one knows, but there's about 50-100 pages of supposition and hypothesizing for you to peruse. After reading through all that, share your opinion.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Spin it all you want, Techster. You don't have to proselytize the virtues of the air raid offense to me. GSU attempted 565 passes to 350 rushes. It's okay to be a fan of a certain kind of offense (air raid, option), but being in denial about the style of offense our HC prefers is another thing. There is nothing about Brent Key's career at UCF, Bama or here that would suggest he would suddenly become an air raid guy out of nowhere. Faulkner and Barbay's offenses have been much more pass/run balanced, even run heavy. It is not a surprise they are the finalists for the job, by all accounts.

I don't need to spin any offense. Their effectiveness can be measured by objective statistics, or they won't.

I'm a fan of effective offenses. I don't care if we pass more or run more. Air Raid, flex option, west coast, etc...does not matter to me as long as our offense doesn't look like a sh!tshow in short yardage situations or trying to get the ball in the end zone. That's exactly what's been happening the last 4 years.

Faulkner and Barbay can have the most balanced offenses if they want. Outside of Barbay's lone season at App State in 2022 (App State was already decent to good on offense before Barbay got there), neither Barbay or Faulkner had anything in their OC past that would impress anyone.

Coaches say stuff in interviews all the time that don't come to fruition so I wouldn't infer anything from what was said. If anything, it's most likely the reality of our economics that will ultimately decide the direction of our offense.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at the blocking style. Wade coaches an outside zone. Coach Key and Weinke might favor an outside zone or outside zone RPO like Oregon. Style over substance.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I don't need to spin any offense. Their effectiveness can be measured by objective statistics, or they won't.

I'm a fan of effective offenses. I don't care if we pass more or run more. Air Raid, flex option, west coast, etc...does not matter to me as long as our offense doesn't look like a sh!tshow in short yardage situations or trying to get the ball in the end zone. That's exactly what's been happening the last 4 years.

Faulkner and Barbay can have the most balanced offenses if they want. Outside of Barbay's lone season at App State in 2022 (App State was already decent to good on offense before Barbay got there), neither Barbay or Faulkner had anything in their OC past that would impress anyone.

Coaches say stuff in interviews all the time that don't come to fruition so I wouldn't infer anything from what was said. If anything, it's most likely the reality of our economics that will ultimately decide the direction of our offense.
We could have afforded Ellis. Key, in my opinion, probably looked at Ellis's experience and also felt that style of offense didn't fit his vision of the team. Georgia Southern was 41st in OFEI this year. Barbay at App State was 36th. So, yeah, I kind of think it is you are just stuck on a style of offense you love. One year as an OC all by himself is all Ellis has. Key did his dilligence and obviously thought Ellis was not the OC brain behind WKU's offense. Maybe if Key could've lured someone like Garrett Riley, he might have switched offensive styles. But that is where the bucks were not there.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I thought the hiring/naming of CBK took a long time...and the delay led me to think that we were waiting for JChad or Fritz to finish their seasons. Not so.

The hiring of an OC seems to be taking even longer. What the heck?

Are we waiting on someone to play a bowl game for some reason? Don't coaches making a move usually do so BEFORE the bowl?

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I mean maybe we are waiting on someone from the FCS playoffs to finish. Personally I want the OC from Incarnate Word.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I mean maybe we are waiting on someone from the FCS playoffs to finish. Personally I want the OC from Incarnate Word.
Eye-popping numbers. They score 53 points a game:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought the hiring/naming of CBK took a long time...and the delay led me to think that we were waiting for JChad or Fritz to finish their seasons. Not so.

The hiring of an OC seems to be taking even longer. What the heck?

Are we waiting on someone to play a bowl game for some reason? Don't coaches making a move usually do so BEFORE the bowl?
Maybe it's a playoff game. He would probably not wait until after a bowl game but wouldn't leave until after the playoffs.