General News about Key and his Staff

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Dead wrong.

I don't think either of you is considering just how highly regarded BF was/is in Athens. Talk was that he would take over as OC if Monken left. Now, do you think that HCKS was gonna turn over the keys to the kingdom to someone who was not going to maintain the level of success they've had recently? Seriously?
Talk is talk, and there is a lot of talk that isn't true. Has anyone with actual credibility within ugag football said this? I see a lot of fans claiming this, but fans don't generally know anything.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think either of you is considering just how highly regarded BF was/is in Athens. Talk was that he would take over as OC if Monken left. Now, do you think that HCKS was gonna turn over the keys to the kingdom to someone who was not going to maintain the level of success they've had recently? Seriously?

Well man, if talk on the internet says it...

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The hire is pretty much in line with the way the rest of the staff has been put together. At pretty much any step in the process of putting this staff together where we had the opportunity to make a statement that we were serious about competing we've instead made the statement we're poor and unwilling to commit.

stripes lighten GIF

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Talk is talk, and there is a lot of talk that isn't true. Has anyone with actual credibility within ugag football said this? I see a lot of fans claiming this, but fans don't generally know anything.

To be fair, same could be said for Key being a "lazy hire," or "not the first choice," or any of our hires "not making a statement" when we had the chance to.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to 100% disagree with statements that say this an other hires show we are poor and unwilling to commit or that they will have no significant impact. I'm not sure what moves would have shown you different. Can you give an example of a hire that would make you feel different?

Personally, I feel these moves show that CBK has a plan on how he wants to do things and is moving fast. Everyone was complaining we have to announce an OC and hire coaches or we will lose every player from the team and are doomed for eternity. He has hired CBK from GA and Erin Joe from Bama, two top programs.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we need to get P'nut back on staff to figure it out!

Funny, similar thing with Paul Johnson when Erk Russell promoted CPJ to offensive coordinator at Georgia Southern. He thought to himself what were the hardest offenses to stop. Running wise it was the option and passing wise was the run and shoot. So he thought what if I combined them and so the flexbone was born.

A decade plus ago there were lots of unique offenses being run. Over that time though people have been taking the best aspects of those offenses and mixing them into their offenses so now it seems like everyone runs a standard NCAA spread offense flavored with these concepts and named their own. I liked what Patenaude was wanting to bring, but the Oline and backup QB issues kept him from being able to succeed.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Dead wrong.

So, now we are taking some internet rumors as fact that Faulkner was definitely going to get promoted.

Maybe he was highly regarded in Athens. The again, maybe they were happy with him right where he is. Either way, there is no basis to suggest that this is a top notch OC hire other than he works as a consultant at Ugag.

Also, it is lot easier to scheme with the most talented players in college football.

Regardless, nothing you said is actual evidence that I am wrong.

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Either way, there is no basis to suggest that this is a top notch OC hire other than he works as a consultant at Ugag.

Regardless, nothing you said is actual evidence that I am wrong.

There is zero indication that you are correct either. We all have our opinions. Yours is just that, an uneducated opinion, like mine.

I am leaning toward giving Key the benefit of the doubt for a season or maybe two simply because of the way he turned such a terrible situation into a positive.
Her earned that much.

We are all sideline farts yelling at clouds

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The hire is pretty much in line with the way the rest of the staff has been put together. At pretty much any step in the process of putting this staff together where we had the opportunity to make a statement that we were serious about competing we've instead made the statement we're poor and unwilling to commit.
I bet you are a blast at parties.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I am leaning toward giving Key the benefit of the doubt for a season or maybe two simply because of the way he turned such a terrible situation into a positive.
He earned that much.
Exactly how I feel. Key is in charge. He knows what he needs and he has a budget to work with. He sure as hell isn’t calling me and asking for my opinion, although we did make eye contact once at YJA and he smiled as if to say “now there’s a guy that knows football.”

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
There is zero indication that you are correct either. We all have our opinions. Yours is just that, an uneducated opinion, like mine.

Her earned that much.

We are all sideline farts yelling at clouds
I never said my opinion was more right than others.

Having said that, my opinion is based on Faulkner's actual performance as OC at previous programs and the basis for his opinion is some internet rumor.

Either way, there is definitely much more than zero indication that I am correct since it is based on actual data points. Otherwise, they have changed the definition of the word zero.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I never said my opinion was more right than others.

Having said that, my opinion is based on Faulkner's actual performance as OC at previous programs and the basis for his opinion is some internet rumor.

Either way, there is definitely much more than zero indication that I am correct since it is based on actual data points. Otherwise, they have changed the definition of the word zero.
That's just your interpretation of the data to form your opinion. No way you understand all the nuances of it to the same level that Key does

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if Faulkner will work out or not and I certainly hope he does, but I just do not understand this hire given the commitment by the AD to invest more in assistants. Even if we hire more consultants and admin to help with evaluating recruits, developing players, and scheming opponents, I would have thought we would have invested more heavily into a top notch OC with $7.5M available for the staff. This seems like a cheap hire and not someone who is going to significantly improve our offense.
Define a "Top Notch" hire by name that likely would come to GT. There are likely some, however, they are not growing on trees. You must have some in mind.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So, now we are taking some internet rumors as fact that Faulkner was definitely going to get promoted.

Maybe he was highly regarded in Athens. The again, maybe they were happy with him right where he is. Either way, there is no basis to suggest that this is a top notch OC hire other than he works as a consultant at Ugag.

Also, it is lot easier to scheme with the most talented players in college football.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowing that we hired the OC-in-waiting from UGA. I have no idea whether he's a good hire or not. But it feels like people are looking for reasons to dislike the hire more than look at what Faulkner might have going for him that Key thought made him the right candidate to be our OC. I'm not asking anyone to celebrate a hire they don't like or convince anyone this is the greatest OC hire in history. But it's possible that a good coach is doing excellent things with top talent. And we've seen examples aplenty of bad coaches who have tons of talent wasting that talent.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
To be fair all of the teams leach coached have been lifelong bottom dwellers of college football besides maybe Mississippi State who had one good year under Mullen

Texas Tech was a winning team under the coach (Dykes .550) who immediately preceded Leach. Prior to Tuberville, who replaced Leach, their last losing season was in 1992. Washington State was a dud under the two coaches prior to Leach, but was only 10 years removed from 3 straight 10 win seasons when Leach took over. Prior to Leach, Mississippi State had not finished the regular season with a losing record since prior to Dan Mullin in 2008. Lifelong cellar dwellers seems like a poor representation of these teams.