General News about Key and his Staff

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Absolutely not. He was good at Michigan under Harbaugh and other offensive staff, but he went into Miami who spent a LOT of NIL on various players and this year their OFEI is 92.

Bryan Ellis at GA Southern...pay that man and get him up to GT.

In doing my on crack research, since I had no clue who thus Gattis fella was, I ran across an article that linked him to GT ... for the HC position.

Sheesh, folks write anything for clicks 'n content nowadays.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Scott Frost seems to be available right now. How would we feel about him? He did a good job as OC at Oregon and seemed to have pretty good offenses at UCF. Plus he has experience coaching WRs, so he could likely double up in that role if needed.
His references at NE should be checked. There were major issues behind his lack of success here

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Why was he fired? Without context, it makes no sense.
I am guessing because he went 44-44, but his teams made bowl games in six of those seven seasons when they had made just one since 2004.

Regardless, wherever he has coached, his teams have scored points. His team averaged 33.8 PPG this year (24.2 in losses).

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He adjusts the offense to the personnel, but he includes a lot of air raid and RPO.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Give me Seth Littrell if we are going the fired HC route.

OFEI numbers for Littrell as OC:

UNC 2014-2015
2014 - 31
2015 - 14

Indiana 2012-2013
2012 - 37
2013 - 15

Arizona 2011
2011 - 22

Littrell uses Air Raid passing schemes, but he's similar to Lincoln Riley in that he's more pass/run balanced. His teams put up BIG numbers. One of the things you have to like is his history of getting to a school and immediately improving their offense...and takes it to another level in Year 2.

This would be a fantastic OC hire for Key if GT can make it happen.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Girls? Boys? Nearby weed in CO? Nebraska corn licker? What's the scoop? :)
Rumor has it he was having a bit too much fun in Lincoln. Seemed to be trying to re-live his college years. Got thrown out of some bars, was sometimes late to practice, missed some recruiting visits due to social life. I've heard more specifics, but all is secondhand info, so I'm not going to put it out there. In fact, all of the above is secondhand info, but there's a lot of buzz about it in the Nebraska community.

My thought is that he's a good coach - the return "home" to a "dream job" was just too much, and he buckled under that pressure. But agree that if he becomes a candidate, references should be checked, and care should be taken (as with all OC candidates).

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
OFEI numbers for Littrell as OC:

UNC 2014-2015
2014 - 31
2015 - 14

Indiana 2012-2013
2012 - 37
2013 - 15

Arizona 2011
2011 - 22

Littrell uses Air Raid passing schemes, but he's similar to Lincoln Riley in that he's more pass/run balanced. His teams put up BIG numbers. One of the things you have to like is his history of getting to a school and immediately improving their offense...and takes it to another level in Year 2.

This would be a fantastic OC hire for Key if GT can make it happen.
I think Pyron could be an All ACC QB in his offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One other thing regarding Seth Littrell:

He gave Tashard Choice his first full time coaching gig at North Texas. Choice was a GA there in 2017, then promoted to full time coaching as RB Coach in 2018. Possible reference for both Key about Littrell (and vice versa).

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Rumor has it he was having a bit too much fun in Lincoln. Seemed to be trying to re-live his college years. Got thrown out of some bars, was sometimes late to practice, missed some recruiting visits due to social life. I've heard more specifics, but all is secondhand info, so I'm not going to put it out there. In fact, all of the above is secondhand info, but there's a lot of buzz about it in the Nebraska community.

My thought is that he's a good coach - the return "home" to a "dream job" was just too much, and he buckled under that pressure. But agree that if he becomes a candidate, references should be checked, and care should be taken (as with all OC candidates).
That's hard to believe that a grown man making that much money with that much on the line would make those kind of mistakes. Certainly not something that recommends him, if true. Sounds like he needs to go to Liberty for cleansing first! ;)

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know if Seth Littrell is a realistic option for OC? He seems to be the best option mentioned so far
Seth Littrell made 1.35 Million base salary as N. Texas HC and incentives got that up to about 1.9 Million so he not make as "much" but I'm sure he thinks his worth is somewhere in that 1 to 1.5 million as a OC. If he was interested I think you seriously try and make it happen great offensive guy and offense. He could come here for 3-4 years put up good #s and take that and his previous coaching experience and get a P5 job somewhere afterwards.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Seth Littrell made 1.35 Million base salary as N. Texas HC and incentives got that up to about 1.9 Million so he not make as "much" but I'm sure he thinks his worth is somewhere in that 1 to 1.5 million as a OC. If he was interested I think you seriously try and make it happen great offensive guy and offense. He could come here for 3-4 years put up good #s and take that and his previous coaching experience and get a P5 job somewhere afterwards.
Where's he going to get a HC job? Louisville? I doubt it. He could land an OC job with another school with openings, like NC State.

I could see him go to Bama for a credentials boost. It's sad to say, but I'm guessing being an analyst there might be a bigger bump to some resumes than an OC role here or NC State.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
1-1.5M would put him in the top 15-20 OCs in the country. I dont think he would expect that as an OC. If he is expecting that type of money he will likely need to get another HC job somewhere. I am guessing 800K would be realistic for him as OC, but Im not even sure if we can afford that at this point...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely! First of all, I do not know why he was fired, but he is an excellent OC who learned under Mike Leach.

Here is an article advocating Little at GT
Here's a comment on the next HC for NT from the President.
"We will be looking for a leader with the vision, energy, commitment, and organizational skills to elevate our program to a championship level," Smatresk said.

I suppose he us saying that Littrell lacked "the vision, energy, commitment and organizational skills" to get them to a championship...although they were just in the Championship game. Weird.