General News about Key and his Staff

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thought Cabrera said Admin was making greater effort and funding available to support athletics???
That doesn't mean that funding is already available. Regulations restrict how much the school can provide towards athletics. The foundation has a charter and rules that would probably impair direct financial support. Cabrera cannot magically wave his hands and make athletic funding appear. It does look like they are looking for new ways to raise money, and for ways that foundation money can be used. It will just take time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I do not know the situation with Long and don't really care if he stays or goes. But, it is $850K and had we placed that as a guarantee, Fritz would most likely have been selected. So, it's not immaterial.

Re your question, I was put in charge with 17 direct reports and corporate HR flew down to fire them all during the changeover. I said no ... asking, "Who is going to do the work?" So, I kept everyone ... moving some into different roles but it was the same faces. In Year 2, I replaced half of them and in Year 3, the rest. Easy.
You are a hard man Vespidae...positively Machiavellian in fact.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thought Cabrera said Admin was making greater effort and funding available to support athletics???

They're working on it. I've heard Cabrera and Batt want to get away from the high level donor model and start working on other revenue streams. Unfortunately, the immediate need to fire Collins and buy out his contract, then also dealing with our massive debts hasn't given them much runway to get everything in place. Also, they are working to expand the donor base because right now there's too much power concentrated in a relatively small amount of donors...and we just saw what happens when a small group has an outsized influence in the GTAA.

The best thing for the GTAA right now and the next 3-5 years is for Key to succeed. Fans need to show up to games, donate as much as you can, and hope whatever Cabrera and Batt are working on comes through.

One thing I've heard by multiple people that was interesting. Had Cabrera been around when the B1G invite was given to GT years ago, we would be in the B1G now. Something to think about when the ACC's GOR is expired.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One thing I've heard by multiple people that was interesting. Had Cabrera been around when the B1G invite was given to GT years ago, we would be in the B1G now. Something to think about when the ACC's GOR is expired.
Is there even a chance he is president in 14 years?

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
One reason I like team sports is the microcosm for studying things that apply outside of sports as well. Salary is just one incentive you can offer a staff. Another one that works especially well on a coaching staff is development and advancement opportunities. HCBK hasn't got a coaching tree named after himself yet but there are some things. Put each coordinator, position coach, assistant, analyst, equipment manager on a two year plan to win a better job whether in the organization or a different one. Give each one a mentor who already has that job. Send them to training they don't need yet. When anyone does something good make sure everybody knows it. Make each job worth doing for less money.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
You can laugh me all you want. I said it was up to Key to retain him or not and if he wants to pay Long off $850K, rock on. If Batt found money to get rid of him OR ... he's cutting expenses elsewhere, that's a business decision.

The funny thing is ... Long is here and has a two-year deal BECAUSE of Key. Ouch.
Dude, we've all made a bad hire once or twice, it happens. Accountability and the ability to move on is what counts. Not sure what narrative you're trying to push here, but this is a GREAT decision. Long was TERRIBLE!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
They're working on it. I've heard Cabrera and Batt want to get away from the high level donor model and start working on other revenue streams. Unfortunately, the immediate need to fire Collins and buy out his contract, then also dealing with our massive debts hasn't given them much runway to get everything in place. Also, they are working to expand the donor base because right now there's too much power concentrated in a relatively small amount of donors...and we just saw what happens when a small group has an outsized influence in the GTAA.
were
The best thing for the GTAA right now and the next 3-5 years is for Key to succeed. Fans need to show up to games, donate as much as you can, and hope whatever Cabrera and Batt are working on comes through.

Cabrera's comments were not limited to future funding, he also alluded to current coaching openings. We will see. He is though a remarkable breath of fresh air when it comes to GT athletics.

slugboy

Staff member
Was Long terrible?
YearFEI OffenseFEI Offense Rank
2022-0.70108
2021-0.1778
2020-0.2998
2019-0.3594

I pulled a few numbers because I thought Long would be below average, and “terrible” would be hyperbole. I was wrong.

There is play calling, and there are a lot of other facets of being an OC. Patenaude’s time here was terrible. Long’s was actually worse. The last two games looked better, but it’s rumored that Weinke called those games.

There’s the temptation to say “yeah, but Collins made him worse and messed up practice”. Collins did that with Patenaude too, and Long’s numbers are worse. There are lots of things that were weaker this year than last. Maybe Patenaude was above average and Collins dragged him down; but that would still leave Long below average on a team that needs coaching up.

—————————

As for keeping Long and the offensive staff for a year, it costs us money when we’re really low on money. That hurts. I completely understand a strategy of “stabilize the team, get people back in the stands, let the players actually learn Long’s scheme better, and standardize the terminology so that you can plug and play OCs later”.

It’s guesswork, but I don’t think Long would get much better next season if he thought it was his last. On the plus side, it’s a “contract year” and you want to look good in a contract year. On the negative side, you’re not your best self when your foot is out the door and you’re spending time networking for other jobs. Your recruiting probably takes a massive hit, unless you can convincingly say “come play for me” when you know you’re gone in six months.

I’ve also said that it really hurts a coach to have two transition seasons. If you can afford to improve you coaching staff today, do it as soon as you can afford to.

This leaves us paying coaches not to coach—at least one. I hope Key knows some good coaches and we can find the funding.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Every time I hear his name, I think back to watching the broadcast of the 2014 game against the Mutts.

Every time they showed him, he was losing his mind on the sideline cause he couldn't stop Paul's offense.
Didn’t he go to Richt’s house in the middle of the night and try to fight him or something like that? It seems like Pruitt was working behind Richt’s back to have him fired and replace him at uga at the same time.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t he go to Richt’s house in the middle of the night and try to fight him or something like that? It seems like Pruitt was working behind Richt’s back to have him fired and replace him at uga at the same time.
Yeah there were plenty of rumors about him fighting with another staff member. Can't remember who he was supposed to be fighting with and if it was in 2014 or 2015.