General Investing and Economics Discussion - No Politics

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
If all goes to plan, I'm closing on a house-house by the end of the month and will be selling my condo shortly after. I should *hopefully* get $25-$30k in assets after the 20% down payment and sale of the condo but TBD on that (condo is not on the market yet). Current plan has been to throw it all at $OKTA or $TTD shares but been re-thinking that a bit. It would be an aggressive play for sure, wondering if I should just put it in $SPY shares. Even just owning shares would be a smarter financial move than the short term options I was playing before.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If all goes to plan, I'm closing on a house-house by the end of the month and will be selling my condo shortly after. I should *hopefully* get $25-$30k in assets after the 20% down payment and sale of the condo but TBD on that (condo is not on the market yet). Current plan has been to throw it all at $OKTA or $TTD shares but been re-thinking that a bit. It would be an aggressive play for sure, wondering if I should just put it in $SPY shares. Even just owning shares would be a smarter financial move than the short term options I was playing before.
Congrats.

My son’s about 3 years into his career. Got his student loans paid off, got his emergency fund established & I’ve got him solely in the large cap, S&P type indexes. We’ve discussed getting him on the same plan I followed albeit too late in my career as I was 15 yrs out of college before I started. He’s going to amass his base on good growth (S&P, Russel, Dow/large cap, etc), then transition over to higher return stuff later on. Occasionally I’ll direct him to something like a high growth tech company where he’s pick up a round lot or some longer term growth stock like JNJ that jump pukes out dividends all the time.

If you got time on your hands, just buy America & prosper. You’ll look back 30 years from now & were glad you did.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
My financial adviser is predicting a pull-back sometime in the Sept-Oct time frame. In fact I just moved some free cash over to her, and she is parking it in a high yield saving account for a couple of months to wait out the expected correction...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Congrats.

My son’s about 3 years into his career. Got his student loans paid off, got his emergency fund established & I’ve got him solely in the large cap, S&P type indexes. We’ve discussed getting him on the same plan I followed albeit too late in my career as I was 15 yrs out of college before I started. He’s going to amass his base on good growth (S&P, Russel, Dow/large cap, etc), then transition over to higher return stuff later on. Occasionally I’ll direct him to something like a high growth tech company where he’s pick up a round lot or some longer term growth stock like JNJ that jump pukes out dividends all the time.

If you got time on your hands, just buy America & prosper. You’ll look back 30 years from now & were glad you did.
Good advice!

On average, only 20% of mutul funds beat "the market" each year. And they are being managed be professionals. That means, on average, 80% under perform. Oh and that means guessing which ones to choose each year.

Some good ETFs and in the long run you will beat

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm big on the payments sector.

As more and more people in countries get access to the internet and get mobile phones (looking at the continents of Africa and South America, China, India), transactions will become more electronics based. More transactions at physical stores that are not modernized will get payment machines. IMO, as big as electronics based payments have become, we are not even close to what it will be in the next 10 years.

I put together a small payments portfolio of:

VISA
Mastercard
Square
Paypal
First Data

The return since I put it together in 02/2018 is 56.59% as of opening bell this morning. My only regret is I didn't sell my "losers" and invest more into that portfolio. (I define "losers" as any stock that doesn't keep pace with the Vanguard 500 Index Admiral Shares fund as that's my benchmark for safe haven investing)

BTW. For those that want to invest in a diversified basket of stocks, but don't have the means to invest in multiple stocks at one time, I highly suggest looking at Motif. You can buy fractional shares (basically a percent of one share). Great way to diversify on a micro level if you don't have the means at this time.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm big on the payments sector.

As more and more people in countries get access to the internet and get mobile phones (looking at the continents of Africa and South America, China, India), transactions will become more electronics based. More transactions at physical stores that are not modernized will get payment machines. IMO, as big as electronics based payments have become, we are not even close to what it will be in the next 10 years.

I put together a small payments portfolio of:

VISA
Mastercard
Square
Paypal
First Data

The return since I put it together in 02/2018 is 56.59% as of opening bell this morning. My only regret is I didn't sell my "losers" and invest more into that portfolio. (I define "losers" as any stock that doesn't keep pace with the Vanguard 500 Index Admiral Shares fund as that's my benchmark for safe haven investing)

BTW. For those that want to invest in a diversified basket of stocks, but don't have the means to invest in multiple stocks at one time, I highly suggest looking at Motif. You can buy fractional shares (basically a percent of one share). Great way to diversify on a micro level if you don't have the means at this time.
That’s exactly why the narrative of “you can’t beat the funds” is so wrong. You can beat the funds many ways.

You’re nimble, you can focus on a sector(s) and gain experience understanding their fluctuations, etc. You do need to take time to get educated. You will not beat the market attacking your portfolio like you do a blackjack table. Better than average returns are easily achievable if you put in the time.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
$TTD up 9% today lol. I'm so shook, I wanted to get into this 11 days ago at 244. It's now up 14% since then but all my funds are tied up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
$TTD up 9% today lol. I'm so shook, I wanted to get into this 11 days ago at 244. It's now up 14% since then but all my funds are tied up.
I hate this analogy, but do you put your money on the Patriots to win the Super Bowl or the Jets because they’re cheaper to bet on?

I’m sure there’s Dogs of the Dow strategists on here, but good companies do well often. Bad companies usually do poorly.

If TTD is good to own, it will be good to own tomorrow, next week, month, year, etc.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@AUFC TTD is reporting earning Thursday after the close. Could be bad or disastrous timing. S&P’s below 2950 support level and Nasdaq’s below 8140. You still hanging in there?

Market got real dicey with Fed’s ill-advised commentary. Then the Maniac started squeezing Xi’s balls again.I should have known not to trust either to not turn this week into a crap show.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I haven't bought yet. My condo buyer backed out and I need money on hand to pay a contractor this week so don't think I'll be investing for a couple paychecks.

Deleted member 2897

Here we go boys. Looks like a big money-making opportunity.

Warren Buffet and his $100B is licking his chops.

I don't day trade, but I do make major allocation changes over a period of years. I have a large portion of my money in cash right now. I just don't see chances of the market going to 30,000 on the Dow nearly as high as the chances it could pull back under 20,000. And I have kids going to college in a few years. I don't think I should have money in stocks that I really truly will need inside 2-3 years...if the market is at all time highs and way past the end of the typical business cycle. All the same 2007 debt alarms are going off as if we learned nothing. But we didn't - the government still has interest rates artificially low by a mile to incentivize people to borrow money they don't have, to buy things they cannot afford. It never ends well, and this won't end well either. Then everyone will blame rich people or Republicans or something else, when the bottom line is that the government encourages people to spend too much and of their own free will people do.

But if the market drops far enough, you better believe I'll be all back in. 2009, 2000, and so on always prove that its good to buy low.

Animal02

Banned

I don't day trade, but I do make major allocation changes over a period of years. I have a large portion of my money in cash right now. I just don't see chances of the market going to 30,000 on the Dow nearly as high as the chances it could pull back under 20,000. And I have kids going to college in a few years. I don't think I should have money in stocks that I really truly will need inside 2-3 years...if the market is at all time highs and way past the end of the typical business cycle. All the same 2007 debt alarms are going off as if we learned nothing. But we didn't - the government still has interest rates artificially low by a mile to incentivize people to borrow money they don't have, to buy things they cannot afford. It never ends well, and this won't end well either. Then everyone will blame rich people or Republicans or something else, when the bottom line is that the government encourages people to spend too much and of their own free will people do.

But if the market drops far enough, you better believe I'll be all back in. 2009, 2000, and so on always prove that its good to buy low.
We were fortune to be able to max out our son's college fund when he was 18 months old....put around 105k in the Virginia program (recommended by our advisor) now he is 11 (starting 6th grade) and it is about 220k. He can use it anywhere except UGA or U of Mich. :LOL:

Deleted member 2897

We were fortune to be able to max out our son's college fund when he was 18 months old....put around 105k in the Virginia program (recommended by our advisor) now he is 11 (starting 6th grade) and it is about 220k. He can use it anywhere except UGA or U of Mich. :LOL:

I've blackballed every SEC school except Vanderbilt. :D

LibertyTurns

Banned

I don't day trade, but I do make major allocation changes over a period of years. I have a large portion of my money in cash right now. I just don't see chances of the market going to 30,000 on the Dow nearly as high as the chances it could pull back under 20,000. And I have kids going to college in a few years. I don't think I should have money in stocks that I really truly will need inside 2-3 years...if the market is at all time highs and way past the end of the typical business cycle.
I’m not so sure we’re at the end of a business cycle, maybe a correction within a cycle. I believe there’s a better chance we’re at the earlier part of a 20 year growth trend than the end of a long cycle. The second option is we’re still stuck in the multi-decade trading range. There’s actually solid analysis on this and what we’re seeing is a failed breakout attempt. If we breakdown from here and it holds, we’re going to need a real economic plan not a fake tax cut coupled with more government lard like the Maniac rolled out as part of his chest beating exercise then followed thru with last week.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don't see any macroeconomic trends that would lend itself to believe the market is going to slow down any time soon. We have the greatest and and most innovative companies in the world in our backyard (China also has their small share), super low unemployment. We do maybe have a little bit of a student debt crisis to take a look at. It might behoove us to take advantage of the economic opportunity we're leaving on the table by increasing immigration.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't see any macroeconomic trends that would lend itself to believe the market is going to slow down any time soon. We have the greatest and and most innovative companies in the world in our backyard (China also has their small share), super low unemployment. We do maybe have a little bit of a student debt crisis to take a look at. It might behoove us to take advantage of the economic opportunity we're leaving on the table by increasing immigration.
Yes, you’re 100% correct. We need to increase immigration numbers.

C’mon Liberals scream hypocrisy.

We need to INCREASE LEGAL immigration quite a bit and DECREASE ILLEGAL immigration significantly. That is precisely what needs to be done.

Animal02

Banned
Yes, you’re 100% correct. We need to increase immigration numbers.

C’mon Liberals scream hypocrisy.

We need to INCREASE LEGAL immigration quite a bit and DECREASE ILLEGAL immigration significantly. That is precisely what needs to be done.
Even legal immigration should be limited. It should not be a means for Google, Disney etc to get cheap IT help.