General Investing and Economics Discussion - No Politics

Milwaukee

Banned

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
THCB is a stock to watch premarket this morning. Merger announced on this SPAC. Its for a better company for electric trucks/vans.

Opened at 10 as spacs do. Up 60% some expect it to hit 25 this week.

I can see 19-20 which is a nice gain.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
1612205063933.jpeg

LibertyTurns

Banned
If part of the reason trading was halted was to preserve liquidity and they ended up with the problem anyway, that would be remarkably incompetent.
To be fair they might not have been able to avoid it. One thing is certain is they got squeezed for cash, but hey the game with today’s media is you go on & lie thru your teeth. They’ll print anything.

Deleted member 2897

So basically "The Golden Rule" rule... He that owns the gold makes the rules...

Still looks like the same old pump and dump scheme, yet in 2021 social media like Reddit and TikTok are used. Looks like folks adhered to the Golden FIFO Rule...do unto others and then run.

Deleted member 2897

Pump & dump, you say...

Translation, more people are selling than buying.

“Who TF has 1,000 shares.”

Someone who wants to sell them.

My question is who the hell wants to catch a falling knife and wants to buy a company going out of business for 25x book value when the price is dropping like crazy.

Looks the same over at AMC and NOK and the others.... like dogecoin- speaking of which, wasn’t dogecoin itself a parody, created just to make fun of bitcoins and cryptocurrency?

Last edited by a moderator:

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Translation, more people are selling than buying.

“Who TF has 1,000 shares.”

Someone who wants to sell them.

My question is who the hell wants to catch a falling knife and wants to buy a company going out of business for 25x book value when the price is dropping like crazy.

Looks the same over at AMC and NOK and the others.... like dogecoin- speaking of which, wasn’t dogecoin itself a parody, created just to make fun of bitcoins and cryptocurrency?
doge coin highest point ever before last week was $.018. its been steady at $.03 for the last 5 days now

AMC and GME graphs look almost identical over the last 2 days. also, evidently the Hedge Funds have been doing alot of ladder attacks on GME to drive down the price.

Deleted member 2897

I just read an article that said as of yesterday, that main GameStop trading guy hadn’t sold anything yet, and his $30 million or $40 million portfolio is down to $7 million. That’s insane to me that he’s saying he hasn’t sold anything yet.

if I were him given the company is eventually going to be worthless, I’d sell everything, and enjoy my $5 million left over after taxes. It would still be a hell of a story.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that the GME, NOK, AMC, etc craziness has died down, anyone tracking anything that looks good to them? I'm still feeling the travel sector is in for a huge rebound at some point this year. I think there is a huge pent up demand to travel that the sector will be flooded.

I also think some of the tech stocks will give some of their gains back this year. Using the same logic as for the Travel Industries. Once people are allowed to get out more the reliance on Tech should decrease.

I think the biggest loser of 2021/2022 will be Peloton (PTON), again same logic. I say this as a Peloton user and believer, the stock has risen on the fact that the company is built on people staying at home and working out. They had a perfect concept for the moment, once that moment is over the price will come back to earth.

Deleted member 2897

Now that the GME, NOK, AMC, etc craziness has died down, anyone tracking anything that looks good to them? I'm still feeling the travel sector is in for a huge rebound at some point this year. I think there is a huge pent up demand to travel that the sector will be flooded.

I also think some of the tech stocks will give some of their gains back this year. Using the same logic as for the Travel Industries. Once people are allowed to get out more the reliance on Tech should decrease.

I think the biggest loser of 2021/2022 will be Peloton (PTON), again same logic. I say this as a Peloton user and believer, the stock has risen on the fact that the company is built on people staying at home and working out. They had a perfect concept for the moment, once that moment is over the price will come back to earth.

When the market is near its all time peak and many valuations are beyond ludicrous, its hard to find something with potential. And shorting something just isn't my thing. I think a major new theme in the future will be converting commercial real estate to residential in populous urban areas. Vacancy rates are skyrocketing as companies don't renew leases, but housing prices are still through the roof. Not sure how you invest in that unless you can find a REIT or individual company doing such a thing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I won't give specific stocks, but I've moved some of my allocation into companies that are strong in cloud storage and computing. The two ETFs I've moved money into have returned 60%+ in the last year.

If you look at biggest players in the Cloud space, they have some of the best returns in the technology sector.

Technology sector is pretty general, but it's technology that will still lead the way for most everything going forward. You just have to find sub sectors within the overall technology sector that have a long runway for growth.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree with you on travel, not as much with tech stocks pulling back. I'm long on Southwest (LUV) largely because anecdotally I have not seen the brand loyalty they have for any other airline. I enjoy using them and many of my friends respond with "I LOVE Southwest" when their name is brought up. A rarity for an airline in my experience.

I've been dumping money into renewable energy ETF's over the past couple years as I view them as the clear future. ICLN has been up 146% over the past year. QCLN which includes electric vehicles is up 192% over that same span, in large part because Tesla is included in that fund. There's also TAN for solar specific and FAN for wind specific companies. They like to get cute with their ticker names.

I've also held a smaller position in marijuana companies and have not fared well for most of the past year or two but they seem to finally be bouncing back. Long on them as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've also held a smaller position in marijuana companies and have not fared well for most of the past year or two but they seem to finally be bouncing back. Long on them as well.

YOLO has been doing well over the last year. Over 100%. Still reasonably priced as well.