Gasparilla Bowl v UCF postgame celebration bonanza extravaganza

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was curious about the UCF interception. I was willing to believe several things at once -the ball didn’t hit the ground, the Tech receiver had actually caught the ball before it was taken away, the UCF player got both hands under the ball, and that reviews confirmed the call on the field.

But I never saw a replay that slowed things down enough to see conclusively that all these things happened. Did I just miss it? Everything I saw was kind of like seeing the figure on the grassy knoll. “Can you make him out? Yeah, I can see him.”
There was certainly no replay I saw to "overturn" the call. One of those deals where call was going to stand no matter how it was called originally.

Seemed to be only 2 angles they kept showing. TV never addressed this but I kept thinking it was possible the defender didn't completely control ball before touching OB.

Definitely an odd play.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone else feel like asking these UCF fans with the Space U shirts what THEIR aerospace engineering program was ranked?
Meet 14 engineering and scientist graduates who have gone on to become astronauts at NASA

Eric A. Boe, Electrical Engineering 1997

Michael Richard “Rich” Clifford, Aerospace Engineering, 1982

N. Jan Davis, Biology, 1975

L. Blaine Hammond, Jr., Engineering Science & Mechanics, 1974

Scott J. “Doc” Horowitz, Aerospace Engineering, 1982

Robert S. Kimbrough, Operations Research 1998

Timothy L. Kopra, Aerospace Engineering 1995

Sandra H. Magnus, Materials Science & Engineering 1996

Bill McArthur, Aerospace Engineering, 1983

Alan G. Poindexter, Aerospace Engineering, 1986

Susan Still Kirain, Aerospace Engineering, 1985

Richard H. Truly, Aeronautical Engineering, 1959

Douglas H. Wheelock, Aerospace Engineering, 1992

John W. Young, Aeronautical Engineering, 1952

GT 14 UCF 0
Won that game too

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was certainly no replay I saw to "overturn" the call. One of those deals where call was going to stand no matter how it was called originally.

Seemed to be only 2 angles they kept showing. TV never addressed this but I kept thinking it was possible the defender didn't completely control ball before touching OB.

Definitely an odd play.
Yep. I have no basis to dispute the call but quite odd. I’ve seen plays much more clear cut where they showed multiple replays from multiple angles, slowed it down, enlarged a still shot, etc., and I’m screaming “we got it, we got it, make the call already!”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
After watching the defense last night and how they finished the year am I the only one that thinks Kevin Sherrer deserves a chance to be our DC next year? The defense got better after KS took over. Go look at the points UCF scored this year and we shut them down in the second half. I believe we’ve got our DC folks.
Yes Sir! I agree

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
After watching the defense last night and how they finished the year am I the only one that thinks Kevin Sherrer deserves a chance to be our DC next year? The defense got better after KS took over. Go look at the points UCF scored this year and we shut them down in the second half. I believe we’ve got our DC folks.
Yep, once we get some additional players I think we're good

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really liked the steadfast commitment to the run game. Hasselbeck (sp?) talked about how play callers sometimes get bored with calling the same play(s) and mix things up sometimes unneccesarily. I really liked that broadcast team. Of course, Wes is a known entity but I enjoyed Hasselbeck's comments last night as well. We have had this pair at other times as well this year. I think they add to the enjoyment of the game whereas other announcers can detract from it.

Speaks to the culture of the team. If you watched the postgame interviews, a LOT of players were asked about personal numbers from the game, and pretty much all of them turned the focus back to the team and the program.

Key does the same thing. They kept asking about what it meant to him winning the bowl, or turning the team around...every single time he'd turn it back to players and the program.

Culture and leadership starts at the top.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Should also be noteworthy that two certain defensive coaches were recently “moved to office duties” and not allowed to participate in the team’s bowl preparations.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Too bad there's no way to like a post 1000 times.

Dontae has had a tough time in his last year. I expected him to be the TB and to run for over 1000 yards, but injury apparently upturned the apple cart. I hope he gets a chance to try for the next level. I think he could be another Mason if he gets the opportunity. He's fast, he's tough, he can BLOCK, and he can catch. He was so, so close to breaking one last night on two runs.

Thanks for sticking with us, Dontae, and for all your great efforts for the Jackets.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
UCF: First two drives = 14 points.
Last 9 drives: 3 points.

Remarkable.
A tale of two games: the first quarter and then the next three. Once they had to start working for first downs, the points dried up. Haynes had one more yard rushing than he did passing. The announcers remarked at how Tech's offensive line was playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage when that happens it is usually game over.