Garrett Riley . . .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stech, my wife is from Texas so you now have 2 wives mad at you.

danger GIF

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not hating on Key or anything, but I think schools like GT need to be ahead of the curve on coaches like this. I agree with kg01 that this is a short stop for Riley before becoming a head coach, but after a year at Clemson, no one in the ACC will be able to afford to hire Riley as a head coach. ADs need to spot talent and offer the HC gig a year or two early (before they are "ready' whatever that means) to rising stars like Riley. After the season TCU had, would he have come to Tech? IDK, as he knows he is going to get a major offer soon for a ton of guaranteed money, but maybe Tech offers after Thanksgiving, and he takes it and then coaches in playoffs too? Battman needs to spot the next basketball Riley and pull the trigger sooner than later.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT could not afford the 2million range. Would have eaten up almost 1/3 of the entire staff budget.

In the Coaches Thread, I pointed out CBK having an interview with Riley prior to hiring CBF.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not hating on Key or anything, but I think schools like GT need to be ahead of the curve on coaches like this. I agree with kg01 that this is a short stop for Riley before becoming a head coach, but after a year at Clemson, no one in the ACC will be able to afford to hire Riley as a head coach. ADs need to spot talent and offer the HC gig a year or two early (before they are "ready' whatever that means) to rising stars like Riley. After the season TCU had, would he have come to Tech? IDK, as he knows he is going to get a major offer soon for a ton of guaranteed money, but maybe Tech offers after Thanksgiving, and he takes it and then coaches in playoffs too? Battman needs to spot the next basketball Riley and pull the trigger sooner than later.

Agreed. All fair. We still have a while before we can do any more major hires tho (sadly).

But let's have a moment of honesty here 'cause there's only one reason you earned a 'like' for your post ....

Blah, blah, blah ... I agree with kg01 .......

Nicely done.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I meant hiring Riley as head coach

Problem was, based on all discussion (none of it substantiated, of course), it seems like Riley wasn't going anywhere until he wrapped up the season. Sounds like he had a few suitors, but he was headed for the CFP, and understandably wasn't ready to walk away from that. Based on that lone, I don't think we could have gotten him this year. Waiting that long would have simply been too risky, and getting him earlier wasn't an option.

We were also a bit gun-shy, after hiring someone who (by all indications) had been a very successful DC, but who hadn't yet shown (and STILL hasn't shown) he could be successful at the head coach level. There are different skill sets for each of those jobs, and we just spent $20M+ to learn that lesson.

We went with the guy who's also shown he can succeed at the head coach level - even briefly. And while that's not the flashiest choice, IMO it was 100% the right one given all the other factors in play.

Now that I've said all that...

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Problem was, based on all discussion (none of it substantiated, of course), it seems like Riley wasn't going anywhere until he wrapped up the season. Sounds like he had a few suitors, but he was headed for the CFP, and understandably wasn't ready to walk away from that. Based on that lone, I don't think we could have gotten him this year. Waiting that long would have simply been too risky, and getting him earlier wasn't an option.

We were also a bit gun-shy, after hiring someone who (by all indications) had been a very successful DC, but who hadn't yet shown (and STILL hasn't shown) he could be successful at the head coach level. There are different skill sets for each of those jobs, and we just spent $20M+ to learn that lesson.

We went with the guy who's also shown he can succeed at the head coach level - even briefly. And while that's not the flashiest choice, IMO it was 100% the right one given all the other factors in play.

Now that I've said all that...

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF
Dj Khaled Love GIF by Pandora
they don't want you to win dj khaled GIF by Music Choice
Dj Khaled Popstar GIF
Dj Khaled Yes GIF by VH1

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a great move by Dabo. I think he knows if he is going to get his team back to top 4, then he must get superior minds for his O and D.

And, of course, as always, they have the $$ to make it happen. I will be surprised though if he is able to retain Riley for longer than 2 years.
Agreed on the two years, he might be a HC at the end of next year. Good hire, but will be short term for Ol Dabo

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I obviously would want Riley at GT, but I think this is actually a little risky for Clemson...he has 3 years of experience as OC. The TCU offense was good this year against weak Big 12 defenses, but looked awful against uGA (way worse than even our offense). He might do great at CU and obviously is an exciting up and comer, but I would have expected them to go with someone more proven.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I obviously would want Riley at GT, but I think this is actually a little risky for Clemson...he has 3 years of experience as OC. The TCU offense was good this year against weak Big 12 defenses, but looked awful against uGA (way worse than even our offense). He might do great at CU and obviously is an exciting up and comer, but I would have expected them to go with someone more proven.

To be fair he was down his main RB and i think their line was beat up too. Plus they got down early.