Gardner-Webb

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gardner-Webb coming to town. Second Big South opponent in a row. D1 Baseball projected them to finish behind Presbyterian in that conference... FWIW.

Below is D1 Baseball's preseason 'view' on GW.

On paper, this is Ga Tech's weakest [weekend] series opponent on the schedule.

Gardner-Webb rode a veteran core and a bona fide ace (third-round pick Mason Miller) to a 27-12 showing in the Big South in 2021, Jim Chester’s first full season as head coach. Chester’s program has wind in its sails, but the Runnin’ Bulldogs will have to start fresh this spring with a lineup that returns no starting position players from a year ago. GW will need some unproven second-year players (1B Pete Capbianco, 2B Andy Jones, LF Benino Mendella, CF Nate Anderson) to take big steps forward and bushel of transfers to make immediate impacts. Capobianco was one of the stars of the fall, smashing six home runs, and will be counted upon to help anchor the heart of the order, alongside Division III transfer Trevor Mattson, who hit .436/.574/.830 at Arcadia (Pa.) College last spring and looked like a D-I hitter in the fall. Penn State graduate transfer Curtis Robison might be the best pure hitter in the lineup and is expected to serve as the catalyst atop the order. Another grad transfer, Alex Ray from Louisiana Tech, should take over at shortstop, where he’s a rock-solid defender. Ray started 59 games for a regional-hosting team last spring. A third D-I transfer, Humberto Torres (FIU), is part of a catching platoon with sophomore Bo Rusher III, and the coaches feel very good about that combination.

Replacing Miller in the rotation won’t be easy, but Gardner-Webb has another power-armed righty ready to assume the mantle of staff ace in sophomore Bobby Alcock, who showed 92-95 heat all fall with a riding fastball that says on plane along with a good breaking ball. UConn transfer Joe Simeone has plenty of experience and should be up for the task of pitching on Saturdays; he attacks at 88-91, but his swing-and-miss changeup is his bread and butter. Sophomore Lenny Washington took a nice step forward this fall, showing a heavy fastball up to 93, and could anchor the bullpen. Projectable lefty Tyler Switalski leads a precocious group of freshman arms who need to hit the ground running.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Same rotation...
Huff, Maxwell, Finateri

Wiley with Kyle Wren on TV stream.

Great opportunity to see if our starters can solidify themselves in their roles. Can Maxwell avoid the BB's and improve his consistency? Can Finateri improve on his last start? Can Huff repeat his excellent performance?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great opportunity to see if our starters can solidify themselves in their roles. Can Maxwell avoid the BB's and improve his consistency? Can Finateri improve on his last start? Can Huff repeat his excellent performance?

I'll be following the WHIP! Looking at WHIP, one can see the basis for my opinion that Finateri pitched ok and was unlucky.
1645825290452.png

This is before today. Huff is totally dealing 2.2 in so far.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll be following the WHIP! Looking at WHIP, one can see the basis for my opinion that Finateri pitched ok and was unlucky.
View attachment 12147

This is before today. Huff is totally dealing 2.2 in so far.

Nuke... you'll love this... HBPs are not included in WHIP. The rationale "HBPs are rare" well... whoever said that doesn't know Ga Tech baseball :)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Nice start to the abbreviated weekend, 14-0. Strong start by Huff 6IP 1H 1BB and 9 Ks. Big hit of the day a grand slam by Simpson, his first collegiate HR. Compton was 3-4 with a 2B and HR.
Don't forget FR Camron Hill's 3 scoreless. Surprised he pitched 3. DH tomorrow a factor? First 2 were strong. Lost the zone a little in inning 3, as I noted in chat, but still put up a zero. He threw 28 pitches in 1 inning last weekend. 48 in 3 IP today. Building him up for a mid-week role? Only time will tell.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget FR Camron Hill's 3 scoreless. Surprised he pitched 3. DH tomorrow a factor? First 2 were strong. Lost the zone a little in inning 3, as I noted in chat, but still put up a zero. He threw 28 pitches in 1 inning last weekend. 48 in 3 IP today. Building him up for a mid-week role? Only time will tell.

Yeah I’d have to think CDH was trying to save arms for the DH with a game that was well in hand. Smart.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah I’d have to think CDH was trying to save arms for the DH with a game that was well in hand. Smart.
Agree as long as we pitch 10 tomorrow ........ we need experience. But with a DH today, yup. Kind of like there are times when a bunt is the way to get on base........

Nuke... you'll love this... HBPs are not included in WHIP. The rationale "HBPs are rare" well... whoever said that doesn't know Ga Tech baseball :)
Wow, I did not know that. That seems counter-intuitive to me. Although it is "Walks" and "Hits" per inning pitched...

HBP is a hit. Just where the pitcher hits the batter and not the batter hitting on the pitcher. Relativity matters. Not that I have an opinion but here is the impact on the stat for GT last weekend (last night not included which was stellar for Huff):
1645879983880.png

Don't get me started on OBP = (Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch) / (At Bats + Walks + Hit by Pitch + Sacrifice Flies).

Attachments

• 1645879788052.png
    1645879788052.png
    14 KB · Views: 4

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If I were Gardner-Webb, I'd bunt all day long today to make GT prove its pitchers can field the ball. (History shows we cannot.)