Game Thread - @ FSU, 12/31/2019

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching the FSU vs Clemson game and as their stats show FSU is exceptional at causing turnovers. While we definitely need to take care of the ball. We HAVE to have a great game from our front court, especially in the rebounding department. I really think this will be a good game defensively. If I had to guess First one to reach 60 pts wins.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be honest, I just hope we play well and give ourselves a chance to win. FSU was always going to be tough, they have as much talent as anyone in the league.

Maybe this is the game where we cannot miss from deep. God knows we are due for one of those. Otherwise, we have to stay out of foul trouble, play GREAT defense, and hope the offense can play hard enough to score a few.

Go Jackets...We're going to need a big game from someone other than Devoe and Moses today..

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
If anyone wondered like myself, the game is scheduled for 12:00p ET today. I also see that it is scheduled to be on ESPNU.

Go Jackets!!!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Opened at Free shoes -11. Now Shoes -11.5.
Don't give up offensive rebounds or live ball turnovers then find a way to get some easy baskets ourselves.

Pinning my hopes on the UNC game more than this one myself

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m hoping we see banks for the full two halves.

He has got to decide that it’s something he wants and get hungry. We need him to play like a man down low.

Throw in Devoe and Moses doing their thang and Jose bringing the swagger and we have a shot at this thing.

Leggo Jackets!! Bust their ***!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
This team turns the ball over entirely too much. We also have a pg problem, but that’s been evident for a while. Jose is a great leader but just not a quality offensive player.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Devoe and Wright have made huge leaps this year. This team should be better than they’re playing, but their lack of perimeter options outside of Devoe is horrible.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Devoe and Wright have made huge leaps this year. This team should be better than they’re playing, but their lack of perimeter options outside of Devoe is horrible.
The Tech way. 2 players (Moses and Mike) take steps forward and one takes 5 back (Banks)
We can never put a consistent group on the floor at one time through an entire year....

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a mistake by Pastner to play a 6 man rotation in a game like this where FSU gets points from 10 different guys Alvarado and Devoe looked tired and slow at the end after playing 40 minutes each. Wright also can’t play 37 minutes per game. Pastner says it’s a philosophy but it’s really just lack of awareness and lack of creativity.

Good game by our team until they ran out of gas. Fatigue and mental mistakes started to pile up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well the good is

Devoe found his stroke from outside in a big way. That will be big going forward.

Despite some struggles Moses had a solid game with 13-10

I thought Banks looked more involved. He didn't play great, but he looked more into the game than he was there for a while. That's encouraging to see because this was a bad match up for him personally.

In general I thought we pretty much played right with them. Shooting, assists, rebounds were all about even. They made the plays at the end to extend the lead at the end.

The bad

Jose did not play well. SOme head scratching turnovers, and hasn't found his shot. He still does so much for us that he has a big positive impact, but we needed him to step up today and he wasn't able. The stretch where he took a quick mildly open 3 and missed it followed by them hitting a 3 on the other end pretty much sealed it. Could have been a 6 point game, and instead it was a 12. In general I thought he was trying to do what the team needed to but just couldn't connect. I will say that he had 0 FTAs was terrible.

Turnovers. Now some of that was related to my next point, but some of them were just unforced. The difference in this game was primarily them having 8 more shots which was due to our turnovers and their "blocks".

Officiating. On the surface the officiating was even. Both teams shot 8 FTs and 12-11 fouls, but the way the game was called, or not called, greatly benefited FSU. Their guards were not quick enough to stay in front and were bumping and grabbing all day and the refs were letting it go. Likewise down low, while they had shot blockers making clean blocks up top some of the time, FSU also used a ton of body contact and reaching in to prevent strong takes a lot of the time. FSU is an athletic team, and hard to beat, but when refs are letting them just bang, grab, and reach in it is really really hard. FSU got their first team foul of the second half with 8 minutes left. That is ridiculous considering the way they play and the fact that we weren't settling for jumpers. FSU outplayed us the last 10 or so minutes, and that's when they put the game out of reach. But imo we outplayed them the first 30 minuets and the score was pretty much even because FSU was allowed to hack at will.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The game was there for the taking. MJ Walker and their big freshman were both on the bench. We had a chance. We blew it. We couldn't make shots and we couldn't hold on to the ball. Moses has certainly gotten better but he should never put the ball on the floor. Alvarado may have been sick but him and Usher were 0-8 on threes. Energy is good, but you have to make shots to win. Except for Devoe....we didn't.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It’s a mistake by Pastner to play a 6 man rotation in a game like this where FSU gets points from 10 different guys Alvarado and Devoe looked tired and slow at the end after playing 40 minutes each. Wright also can’t play 37 minutes per game. Pastner says it’s a philosophy but it’s really just lack of awareness and lack of creativity.

I disagree. I think our only chance was to go with our best 6/7 and hope they were better. We don't get better by going to Phillips, Price or Cole against a team like FSU. Maybe Moore should have been in the game more, but I also think he doesn't match up well with FSU (not hitting the outside shot and has shown shaky ball handling recently). It's not a lack of awareness or a lack of creativity, but rather a efficiency in team building. Part of that is certainly on Pastner. He left one scholarship open this year and spent one on Didenko. If he brought in guys the caliber that he is bringing in next year with those two scholarships it would probably make a difference. Part of it is making short term decisions to address immediate issues. The recruitment of Cole was to address the immediate issue of lacking players at the 4. Same with Wright. One worked out, and one hasn't. When we added Phillips we desperately needed ball handling. Right now though we don't need his ball handling and his limited scoring is just too big to help. And the Sjolund thing is just weird. My thoughts on that aside, that is 5 scholarships that we basically aren't likely to be utilizing much in ACC play. If we need to go to guys 8 or 9 it likely means we're going to lose. If we go 8 or 9 deep because we have built a bit of a lead and can steal some minutes then that's when we need to do so. But we didn't have that today.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The context today was even with their injuries, they are a better basketball team than we are. CJP said it himself that we tried to recruit most of their team hard and simply couldn't get them. So the result isn't surprising - we would have had to play near perfect BB to beat them and we didn't.

Having said that I thought we did compete and we did not play "bad" basketball by any stretch. Not always smart basketball but not bad. On defense we competed hard and played them even on the boards. That was one key for me today.

On offense we obviously let their length and physicality bother us - but we kept driving to challenge the rim which played to their length and the way the game was called. When we penetrated and kicked to start ball movement around the line was when DeVoe got his shots. FSU plays switching/helping man so any penetration will lead to multiple guys in the paint and them flying out to recover. We worked them pretty good most of the first half and then into the second before resorting more to a less intelligent gotta get to the rim game. Especially frustrating as they had us starting our offense almost at half court so there was no way in hadies we were getting a clean drive to the basket.

Overall I thought we played a top of the ACC team at their court about like what a middle of the pack ACC team would play them. This wasn't the game to judge whether we are "back" or whatever. Would have been a major upset. UNC on the other hand is wounded and that is where we need to strike.