Game Thread - @ Clemson, 3/6/2020

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well I was wrong twice last night - not only did they come out with energy and passion but they found it again in the second half when Clemson came back and took the lead. Kudos to the team, Jose as the leader and CJP. That is impressive after the announcement.

The upside was obviously the defense. We took the 3 away from them. They shot 35% from the field and scored 62. Can't ask for much more than that. And a lot of that is simply effort (see above).

On the other side, I like that we went away from the Princeton like offense but we still need a lot of work on our O. We tend to degenerate into 1 on 5 drives by Jose and DeVoe which lead to draughts like the start of the second half. I really do hope in the offseason we install some legit motion sets and work on both looking for kickouts and being in position for kickouts. I think this would help a lot with our turnover issues.

I was happy to see Usher continue his end of season improvement. If he can work on his shot, he locks down the 3 spot in a really positive way but still some work to do. On the other side I was hopeful for Moore after the Pitt game but he regressed. He needs the offseason to reset.

I do think Moses is our 5 next year but I have to admit Clemson reminded me of the reasons to worry about that. As soon as Banks went out Clemson targeted Moses on the block with good success.

Good win. We would be a dangerous team heading into the ACC and likely NIT tourneys. Still a lot of work to do in the offseason but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with all of that. But what Banks was when we added him isn't what is being suggested. He wasn't immediately eligible until after the season had already started nor had he proven to be able to produce at this level. In some ways he was taken with a similar mindset as a recruit. Taken on developing his potential, and so the redshirt wasn't a huge deal. Turns out that he was immediately eligible, and was a great rim protector right away. Could that happen again? Sure. I think there is a better chance of Gigiberia transitioning better than expected to the college game though than us finding that situation again though.

Admittedly, I don't like grad transfers. I think the problems caused by increased roster turnover and potentially guys only looking to get theirs, outweigh the benefits they bring. For example, next year we are already going to lose 5 seniors who will likely be rotation players. Adding a grad transfer just compounds that issue. Now if it's a guy like Blackshear then absolutely. Because at that point you're not talking about getting back to the NCAAT. You're talking about competing for an ACC championship and asking how far can we get in the NCAAT. But most likely it wouldn't be a guy like that, and I don't think it's worth it for the program. I'd rather go with Gigiberia and deal with him struggling through his freshman year some. Because if we are going into 20-21 and our only post players are Meka and Gigiberia neither with significant minutes, guess what the call will be for us then? That's how you get into a cycle of dependency on grad transfers.
I agree with you completely on the cycle of dependency. I’m pretty sure Pastner has said in the past he looks for transfers with at least 2 seasons of eligibility.

That said, on the issue of having someone who could significantly contribute, if the NCAA changes the eligibility rules to give all S-As a one-time immediate eligibility transfer the pool may look a lot different.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That said, on the issue of having someone who could significantly contribute, if the NCAA changes the eligibility rules to give all S-As a one-time immediate eligibility transfer the pool may look a lot different.

Oh absolutely. That would change things tremendously. Overall I think that just opens pandora's box but that's a different discussion entirely.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
In a world of "free" transfers you would have to keep at least one ship open for opportunities. Maybe even 2. We are one of the few teams I know that try to use all its ships. That is going to have to change - reduction or not.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
I knew Josh and his father 25 years ago. His dad is extremely competitive. I am very proud of this years team.
I have finally understood the considerable contribution of James Banks. Maybe I'm slow. He is not a scoring machine
but he is a defensive monster. And, more importantly, he seems to be a terrific person.
I attended Fridays game at Clemson. It seems almost impossible to me that Devoe had 20. On drives to the basket,he
was physically pounded. But in the last 2 minutes he turned into the majician that he often is. Perhaps Clemson became
afraid of fouls. Devoe, with Alvaredo out of the game, became the force.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
So Tech is the sole possesor of 5th place in the conference. Their disqualification to proceed further irritates me to no end.
I have a hard time with this. Most of you, all good GT fans, don't appear to be as irritated as I am. I wish I wasn't. These kids
deserve better and I fault the NCAA.

wreckmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
Wright must learn how to score when he gets to the basket. When he drives, no one stops him.
He must learn how to put the ball through the hoop and I think he will.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So Tech is the sole possesor of 5th place in the conference. Their disqualification to proceed further irritates me to no end.
I have a hard time with this. Most of you, all good GT fans, don't appear to be as irritated as I am. I wish I wasn't. These kids
deserve better and I fault the NCAA.

I think we agree the kids deserve better, but if we risked having the ban next season, it opens the door for a mass exodus of players and recruits.

Postseason bans have immediate eligibility for those transferring out attached to it.

That's why we're accepting of it.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
So t
I think we agree the kids deserve better, but if we risked having the ban next season, it opens the door for a mass exodus of players and recruits.

Postseason bans have immediate eligibility for those transferring out attached to it.

That's why we're accepting of it.

So they can’t transfer now? Even after we accept it ?

slugboy

Staff member
They can transfer, but it would just be a normal transfer.

Right: The time to transfer “for free” is to when you can avoid the post season ban. It’s too late now—our year is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
They can transfer, but it would just be a normal transfer.

Right: The time to transfer “for free” is to when you can avoid the post season ban. It’s too late now—our year is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk