Game Program Cover Art

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Out-of-the-blue topic, but was on my mind tonight - when I was a kid in the mid-1980s to early-90's, I remember vividly how the game programs at Grant Field almost always had hand drawn art on the covers. Had a somewhat Mike Luckovich-feel to them, IIRC. Always featuring Buzz, with some serious snark (which went along with the Buzz personality).

I remember specifically a South Carolina game (cover caption: "Georgia Tech: We Do Chicken Right") and a uGA game (Buzz standing next to Uga, reading a book "Raising Your Puppy With the Kennel Club." Buzz is holding a big wooden bat labeled "The Kennel Club").

Anyone know anything about those programs during that time? Who was the artist? When did that type of cover art start, and when did it end? Would love to see an archive of those somewhere online.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Loved many of these.

I printed one out last minute 5 years ago when we had a family friend joining us for thanksgiving dinner that year who happened to have been tricked into walking under the arches.

I happened to put one at each place setting and kept one in our dining room as a reminder.

Since we’re on the topic of holidays - don’t care if it’s Christmas or valentines or any day between if you wear red to my house you’re served last and on KP for dishes.

It just is what it is.

Attachments

• 8F134723-677A-4630-AEBD-E311E5C6FD6B.jpeg
    8F134723-677A-4630-AEBD-E311E5C6FD6B.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 54