Game Day

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Mark Bradley makes an interesting point:

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/08/30/about-tech-the-good-the-bad-and-the-wofford/

Tech threw the ball better than Tech usually throws the ball, but that’s not entirely a positive. Making his first start at quarterback, Justin Thomas completed 11 of 15 passes for 282 yards and two touchdowns. That’s a good thing. The bad thing is the Jackets needed to throw the ball to win. They couldn’t make Paul Johnson’s option work the way he wants it to work, this despite an offseason devoted to remastering Johnson’s creation. Tech was outrushed by Wofford, which deploys the old-school wishbone, 271 yards to 226. Thomas made the Terriers pay for their attention to Tech’s running game, but how many games are the Jackets apt to win if their quarterback has to throw for nearly 300 yards?

I for one am pleasantly surprised by how well we threw the ball, especially JT's throws down the seam to Zenon. The thing is, we've always had success throwing the ball against a team like Wofford. It is a little concerning that we couldn't run at will against them considering how big of a deal we made all off season about "getting back to the basics" of our offense.

I hope to see a big jump next game in run game production.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/08/30/about-tech-the-good-the-bad-and-the-wofford/

Tech threw the ball better than Tech usually throws the ball, but that’s not entirely a positive. Making his first start at quarterback, Justin Thomas completed 11 of 15 passes for 282 yards and two touchdowns. That’s a good thing. The bad thing is the Jackets needed to throw the ball to win. They couldn’t make Paul Johnson’s option work the way he wants it to work, this despite an offseason devoted to remastering Johnson’s creation. Tech was outrushed by Wofford, which deploys the old-school wishbone, 271 yards to 226. Thomas made the Terriers pay for their attention to Tech’s running game, but how many games are the Jackets apt to win if their quarterback has to throw for nearly 300 yards?

I for one am pleasantly surprised by how well we threw the ball, especially JT's throws down the seam to Zenon. The thing is, we've always had success throwing the ball against a team like Wofford. It is a little concerning that we couldn't run at will against them considering how big of a deal we made all off season about "getting back to the basics" of our offense.

By my interpretation, that is part to getting back to basics. Do what we do well, if they decide to stack the box, then beat them with the passing game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
By my interpretation, that is part to getting back to basics. Do what we do well, if they decide to stack the box, then beat them with the passing game

Got the game on record. Will have to watch the replay...didn't really pay attention how the D was playing us with so much going on while watching.

Initial impression is I didn't see Wofford do anything different from what teams like Presbyterian and Elon did...but I'll see. We rolled the first the other teams so bad our 3rd teamers and walk-ons were playing by the end of the game. We couldn't get that kind of control of this game. Offense looked MUCH better the second half though.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bottom line for me: having game time threads like this is a waste. People lose their heads when watching a game. Every play or mistake is indicative of what the ENTIRE season is going to be like. Pleeeeeeease!
:rolleyes:But it is soooo fun to watch some people lose their minds.

thwgjacket

Bradley is just looking for a reason to be negative there. It's like he's saying "Tech threw well but this is why it sucks." People complain that we don't throw and then when we do they complain that we had to throw? Explain that to me please.

How bout you meet me at that bridge.
You gonna bring me the piles of painstaking research you had to have done on why he have to deploy out of shotgun to be a successful offense? Or are you as educated on that topic as you are every other topic I've ever seen you comment on?