Game 8 Media Pittsburgh vs. Georgia Tech #PITTvsGT

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Coach P might be able to talk the talk...still waiting on him to put together a decent game plan. Running the same garbage from CC aint gonna get it done.

I agree that coach P has a lot of football knowledge, maybe overwhelming, but that seems to not help him make simple decisions to move the chains. I have no issues with his first down playcalling, or second down (unless it is 2 or 3 yards to go), but he seems to not have a "move the chains" inclination when calling plays. I think down and distance is just not one of his priorities,

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Remember no T.Lawerence, so my Grand mother knew they had to use Etienne more, so that stack the box for Etienne and they wagered on the Fresh to beat them.
Which is exactly my point. It's about personnel, not play calling. ND came very close to losing by letting the number 2 Clemson QB have free reign. He ended up with Lawrence like numbers. We don't have that kind of talent or depth. Clemson has the talent to create matchups that favor them. We don't--not yet anyway. That's not this staff's fault.

Clemson lost that game because their defensive depth this year is not quite what is has been.

Scubapro

Banned
Which is exactly my point. It's about personnel, not play calling. ND came very close to losing by letting the number 2 Clemson QB have free reign. He ended up with Lawrence like numbers. We don't have that kind of talent or depth. Clemson has the talent to create matchups that favor them. We don't--not yet anyway. That's not this staff's fault.

Clemson lost that game because their defensive depth this year is not quite what is has been.
This staff is in command now. Like it or not everything belongs to them and no one else. Piss offs and parades both belong to this staff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be good for some of you guys to rewatch the games and focus specifically on what the other teams defense is doing. CDP has his faults but a lot of our issues are lack of execution. Against ND I saw olinemen whiff on blocks that would have resulted in big gains. Other times they were physically dominated. I saw receivers losing at the line of scrimmage when challenged by the db. I also saw receivers having a hard time getting separation. I saw a qb miss wide open receivers. There were a few head scratching play calls but there were a lot of execution issues as well.
What it really comes down to is that we are just not that good. Sims holds the ball because no one is open. IIWII

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Wheel route and screens beat a good pass rush especially when they use OLBs for Pass Rush. We gotta get guys in space. Deep passing game hasn’t worked. FSU game plan was money, not sure why we have got away from it.
I really liked the jet sweep ND kept running on us. I wish we would put something like it in our playbook.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What it really comes down to is that we are just not that good.

I totally believe this. Too may variables right now for me to discern anything about the coaching but I don't claim to have the acumen that some here apparently have. If we perform like this in years 4 and 5, then we will know that this staff can't coach, can't recruit or a combination of both.

I still point the finger for our current predicament just as much, if not more, at the guy(s) above CPJ as I do him. They avoid catching most of the heat that is falling unfairly solely on Paul at the moment imo.