• Duke by 7-13

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Duke by 14+

Votes: 8 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jmonty71

Banned
I am going to pick us winning 38-17. I am a little leery on my pick... Mainly because we could easily blow Duke out the of the stadium with a 41-10 type score and at the same time lose to Duke by 10.. So, I am going to say our good team shows up... Going off the see-saw theory, this week should equal the good GT team. So, with hopeful aspirations I am picking us by 3 TDs...

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm worried about our defense for this game. I know those three down linemen are doing the best they can, but they're going to get double teamed all day Saturday unless Thacker sends help (linebackers). Yes, there were a few times against Pitt we rushed a linebacker, but looked more like they were waiting for the run. I hate seeing DLs getting pancaked. Either we win 41- 21 or they win 41-21.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
First time attempting to pick a game so here goes nothing. I picked Duke to win by 7-13. Why? Well a few reasons.

(1. As someone else on the board pointed out, we haven't won in Durham the past few tries. In fact, 2013 was the last time we beat the Dookies at their home field. Something about that place just bogs us down.
(2. Will Kenny Cooper play? If not, we may see the same mess out of our O-line that we saw last week. At least with Cooper playing the line looked somewhat competent. @ilovetheoption has done a fantastic job breaking down our O-line this year, and showed how we really struggled without Cooper last week, especially with stunts.
(3. Can we shut down Mataeo Durant? He has quite literally been the Duke offense this year. We have done a fairly good job shutting down opposing running backs, but he will be the best one we have seen to this point. If we shut him down, I think we have a good chance of winning.
(4. We have to establish our running backs early and often. It was nice to see Sims throw for 300+ yards on Saturday, but we are a much better running team. We thrive when our backs are getting 3-4 yards a carry. There should never be a universe where Gibbs has a negative rushing total at the end of the game. Make some holes, and let our backs feast on linebackers and DB's. If our running backs get shut down, it could be another long afternoon.

If all these things break in our favor, we could be looking at a 45-17 victory for the good guys. If not, I see more of a 31-21 loss that dashes any remaining hope for the rest of the season.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I expect Cut to try and play ball control either with short passes and occasionally try to go over the top. He will try to establish a running game. He has a really good RB. He loves to throw to his TE who often splits out wide to stretch the defense. Our secondary will be tested. We should be able to move the ball on them but cannot have turnovers. We have better overall talent but Cut is a good coach.

Jmonty71

Banned
First time attempting to pick a game so here goes nothing. I picked Duke to win by 7-13. Why? Well a few reasons.

(1. As someone else on the board pointed out, we haven't won in Durham the past few tries. In fact, 2013 was the last time we beat the Dookies at their home field. Something about that place just bogs us down.
(2. Will Kenny Cooper play? If not, we may see the same mess out of our O-line that we saw last week. At least with Cooper playing the line looked somewhat competent. @ilovetheoption has done a fantastic job breaking down our O-line this year, and showed how we really struggled without Cooper last week, especially with stunts.
(3. Can we shut down Mataeo Durant? He has quite literally been the Duke offense this year. We have done a fairly good job shutting down opposing running backs, but he will be the best one we have seen to this point. If we shut him down, I think we have a good chance of winning.
(4. We have to establish our running backs early and often. It was nice to see Sims throw for 300+ yards on Saturday, but we are a much better running team. We thrive when our backs are getting 3-4 yards a carry. There should never be a universe where Gibbs has a negative rushing total at the end of the game. Make some holes, and let our backs feast on linebackers and DB's. If our running backs get shut down, it could be another long afternoon.

If all these things break in our favor, we could be looking at a 45-17 victory for the good guys. If not, I see more of a 31-21 loss that dashes any remaining hope for the rest of the season.
This is where I am... Either we blow Duke's doors off or we lose by 10.... Given our Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde of a team, it really depends on which team decides to play, this weekend. It's hard to predict anything with this team... We are either really good or really bad....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we will win if we are -1 in turnovers or better (i.e. we only lose the ball one more time than Duke or get the ball more times). (I misposted +1 yesterday elsewhere.)

I consider it a turnover when we are near the 50 and have 4th and 3 and run a play up the middle and the play hasn't worked all day. And with a QB who just came in that play. That is a coaching turnover.