Game 6: Duke Week Media #GTvsDUKE

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: Everything Coach Cutcliffe said previewing Georgia Tech
ON GEORGIA TECH POTENTIALLY STARTING A FRESHMAN QUARTERBACK WHO DUKE HAS NEVER SEEN
I mean, people don't just completely change an offense. You do a few things within it. But they have an offensive system they will utilize and we're preparing a lot of different ways. There are a lot of ways they can go at that position. But the thing you have to be is sound. You have to have people where they're supposed to be. If you're going to run a quarterback more, if you're going to throw a quarterback more, if you're going to play action pass -- none of that changes by the person doing it. You still have to be sound. You have to play your defense. Every defensive call should have answers. The thing that you have to do is just be consistent. The biggest part that concerns me is trying to win the battle on the line of scrimmage. That dictates a lot of the ability to be successful on either side of the ball.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly after listening to this week's pressers , you can tell that the coaches are not looking at the win loss record but more at the minute improvements going on. It does sound like we are closer to having a single qb , and that Oliver has other roles he is doing well at if he isn't the qb.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
These interviews with CDP have actually made me less apprehensive about him being the OC. From the interviews, it seems like he understands where the QBs are at and is coaching and teaching them as quickly as he can. I think we'll know much more about his coaching quality by the end of the year. However, if we're still scoring like 21 points on a good day by October of 2020, then yeah he needs to go.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
These interviews with CDP have actually made me less apprehensive about him being the OC. From the interviews, it seems like he understands where the QBs are at and is coaching and teaching them as quickly as he can. I think we'll know much more about his coaching quality by the end of the year. However, if we're still scoring like 21 points on a good day by October of 2020, then yeah he needs to go.
Exactly, I think most of us expected to see 1 maybe 2 qb rotations, not all 3. And expected to see a very set offensive scheme.
I think it's really come down to which qb has shown in game to be the better and then fit the offensive style around that. We will have to see at the end of the season, but cdp may redeam himself

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. We’re not where we need to be yet, but it sounds like he knows that. If he was going into the presser saying “The offense is performing great, and I can’t think of anything that we could improve on!” then there would be a huge problem, but Patenaude knows what he needs to work on, and he’s working on it. There’s no magic phrase that will instantly make players go from struggling to playing at a high level. Coaching takes time. If James continues to rapidly improve, it will make everyone else’s jobs a lot easier.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you have faith in him good but I need to see something before the end of the year. If we wait till Oct of 2020 then we start all over on offense. If he knows what is wrong with the offense than he needs to be able to fix the problem. I still do see him as a good OC , I hope the players do and will work hard for him .

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Potentially-Overly-Sensitive Alert
I really with CGC would refrain from taking potshots at the previous staff. Even when it's true about our lack of getting guys drafted over the last couple of years. When you're taking over from an offense that was #11 to #19 in efficiency depending on metric and the team was #2 in the Coastal going 5-3 in Conference and we're now doing poorly in every statistical category, I don't think he should be throwing shade. It's not like he's taking over a losing team with no history of success.​

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I thought this was interesting during the CDP interview:

Says the zone read is our "day 1 install base play", meaning our offense's base play is still an option play.
;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I thought this was interesting during the CDP interview:

Says the zone read is our "day 1 install base play", meaning our offense's base play is still an option play.
;)

But am I right in saying that we don't cut-block the back side?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you have faith in him good but I need to see something before the end of the year. If we wait till Oct of 2020 then we start all over on offense. If he knows what is wrong with the offense than he needs to be able to fix the problem. I still do see him as a good OC , I hope the players do and will work hard for him .
I made a boo boo , do not , forgot the not part. Should read I do not see him as a good OC .( we really need to be able to correct something better)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
But am I right in saying that we don't cut-block the back side?
Not with the backside being the read key =)

My least favorite part about us switching from the flexbone is Alex Carrick no longer does "Gt every offensive play" videos. I think we have run some speed option with Oliver this year, but I cannot remember how it was blocked, and I am not sure how I could quickly go about finding it either.

Last edited:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not with the backside being the read key =)

My least favorite part about us switching from the flexbone is Alex Carrick no longer does "Gt every offensive play" videos. I think we have run some speed option with Oliver this year, but I cannot remember how it was blocked, and I am not sure how I could quickly go about finding it either.

It's all been off zone. And we've been getting caught up. We are reading holes rather than creating them.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope it won't take til next October, but given that CGC and Todd have defined this as a major transition, I doubt CDP will get fired even in the worst case this year.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I really with CGC would refrain from taking potshots at the previous staff. Even when it's true about our lack of getting guys drafted over the last couple of years. When you're taking over from an offense that was #11 to #19 in efficiency depending on metric and the team was #2 in the Coastal going 5-3 in Conference and we're now doing poorly in every statistical category, I don't think he should be throwing shade. It's not like he's taking over a losing team with no history of success.​
I agree, it sometimes seems like he thinks he took over a pickup baseball team with how much he emphasizes the major transformation. I understand that we had a very specialized system for 10+ years, but it's still football. That said, he's got my full support, he just needs to tone down the constant emphasis on the transition.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree. He also acts like CPJ ran a program that didn't teach players how to be successful in the NFL, which is complete trash. Overly sensitive yes (speaking of myself). Still a shot at former regime, yes. Hope it works out for us, I am sick of listening to the major transition stuff. Over/under on years we have to hear it? I say he can say it for two years max. Beyond that, just excuses - he did build Temple's roster in two years after all.