Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are not a good enough team where we can downplay the wins. Enjoy it.

No kidding. We won against an average team who had the refs calling **** on us they didn't call on Wake who held most plays.

Damn what a nice after glow to have a win to savor. Won in all three phases of the game for a change. And played hard and fast. The +4 turnovers neutralized the refs to some extent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Things I learned after the last couple of weeks

Stats like first downs and time of possession don't mean much, the only stat that means anything is points scored and points against.

every fan base thinks there OL is not very good.

every fan base criticizes something about their team maybe we just don't know as much about football as we think.

You can win a game even if you have a lot of penalties, I have always thought there is a penalty on every play

and last don't think your team will find a way to lose a game at the end of the game.
On your last point, you’re are correct in a “git yer mind right” kind of way, but you to admit there is a lot of PTSD among Tech fans who’ve watched us give away games we should have won the last few years. It was great to see the will to win this one after seeing Tech teams in the past crumble under pressure.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Well, another 2nd half collapse (loaded with 3 and outs) on offense and needing 5 turnovers to beat a lousy Wake team doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Reminders of the 5 turnover win against UNC that led nowhere. Sure, a win is a win and we are much improved from last year thanks to King and Singleton but this coaching staff has to figure out how to get this team consistent. This was our one conference gimme game.
Have you seen Va. Tech ???

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is great to not have a maniac on the sidelines. However, does anyone else wish Key would show a little more emotion and energy. If you look at the current great college coaches (Saban, Smart, Sweeney, Day, Harbaugh, etc), they are all pretty animated, not stupid and goofy like Collins, but enough to fire up the team and fight for ref calls.

To me, last night was a different more subdued Key from what I've seen on the sidelines in earlier games this season and last.

Maybe something else is going on in his life; there is more than football.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Watching that last drive by wake, it felt like a slow death. The pessimist in me was saying they would score and get the 2 pt conversion to go up 1. I think I’ve been conditioned to feel that way over many decades. That last pick was a huge relief and felt like a season changer to me.

Getting this win puts us in a great position to make a bowl game. Not world beaters this year, but building blocks. I’m just encouraged to see a program that it seems like is heading in the right direction again. I have no doubts the offense will be fine the rest of the year, but it was nice to see the d step up tonight and win a game for us, that played lights out despite some awful flags.

O line didn’t allow a sack and gave good pass pro. Special teams didn’t disappoint either, which was a very welcome surprise after last weekend. Great job by Aiden on FG’s, and another shoutout to Gavin Stewart for still booting the kickoffs through the endzone even though he wasn’t on field goal duty.
"Not world beaters this year, but building blocks. I’m just encouraged to see a program that it seems like is heading in the right direction again." This is what I have been hoping for over the last 4 years. :gt::buzz:(y)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Of note: one thing that really impressed me, while I watched the entire game on television, was seeing all the sideline shots of Coach Key. He was remarkably calm and stoic throughout, with no theatrics, no yelling and screaming … and he very rarely spoke anything into his microphone. It’s obvious that he simply lets his assistant coaches do the play-calling.
I was struck by that as well. He looked as if he were just taking it all in, and thinking ahead to what he needs to work on in next week's practices.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is great to not have a maniac on the sidelines. However, does anyone else wish Key would show a little more emotion and energy. If you look at the current great college coaches (Saban, Smart, Sweeney, Day, Harbaugh, etc), they are all pretty animated, not stupid and goofy like Collins, but enough to fire up the team and fight for ref calls.
I want Key to be himself. The players are smart enough to see through a performance on Saturday afternoon.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My goodness, what a game. Ugly and brutally physical.

Our players shot themselves in their own feet so many times with penalties and mental mistakes, especially in the second half. So much so, that they started running around on bloody ankle stubs …

But their physical efforts and mental will never waned. It resulted in a bunch of turnovers that were the difference in the game.

Of note: one thing that really impressed me, while I watched the entire game on television, was seeing all the sideline shots of Coach Key. He was remarkably calm and stoic throughout, with no theatrics, no yelling and screaming … and he very rarely spoke anything into his microphone. It’s obvious that he simply lets his assistant coaches do the play-calling.
Key strikes me as someone who does every thing he can to prepare for every eventuality and then mentally he can stay calm because even things that go wrong have nothing to do with preparation and reflect things beyond your control that getting emotionally overwrought will not help.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Don’t you know Zeek was amped up , probably had a lot of family members there!

Can’t recall the last time a DL had 9 tackles and countless pressures. 🤩
He was actually making tackles downfield! If that continues, we have a chance boys............. D was on fire last night. If we can stay healthy and keep this rolling, we might do something in year 1...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
From what I've been told, Key is plenty animated behind the scenes. He does come from the O'Leary/Saban tree after all............

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Well, another 2nd half collapse (loaded with 3 and outs) on offense and needing 5 turnovers to beat a lousy Wake team doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. Reminders of the 5 turnover win against UNC that led nowhere. Sure, a win is a win and we are much improved from last year thanks to King and Singleton but this coaching staff has to figure out how to get this team consistent. This was our one conference gimme game.
Factually correct, but unnecessarily pessimistic in my opinion. Sometimes you just have to find a way to win.
We had something to say about those turnovers….let’s not dismiss
I share your concern for the second half let down. Slow third quarter starts have become a theme. I also didn’t like the penalties, but some of them were head scratchers and I can forgive penalties of aggression on D…. Especially when they’re getting after it like last night.
Im confident we will clean up some things and I certainly see us being competitive in every game down the stretch. This wasn’t a fluke…We’ll find more wins.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen Va. Tech ???
Can I just add an oh boy!

GIF by StoryBots

That's the sort of loss that gets a coach a new assignment.....

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Man so much grumbling about a win, all teams have areas they need to improve. I am proud of this team, at least we have been in every game for the most part this year and not just no emotion like the collins years. I saw a hard fought win last night and expect more improvement to come, these are teenage to early 20 year olds. Go Jackets

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
🤷‍♂️ We got called for that twice. Only once did I catch a replay and it looked like we blocked him from just slightly behind.
Which is a blind side block on a turnover. Refs look closely for blind side blocks on Interceptions. Then add 15 more for taunting. Living with the blind side block is ok as it is an aggressive play. Taunting is 100% unacceptable.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There are no conference gimmie games, especially on the road. We have been one of the worst Division 1 teams for 4 years. WE are a much better team this year but are by no means a world beater. This team is learning how to win vice lose winnable games. It's a win. At this stage in our process from being horrible to being solid this was a very good win.