Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m still sticking with 3rd quarter.
Again, we give up a TD on their first possession and do nothing with ours.
We weathered it tonight, but just barely. We have to come out of the half with killer instinct

true, but had we not had red zone issues we'd have been up 24-3 and put that much more pressure on them.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We definitely should have scored more points off the turnovers. It really does feel like we go WAY TOO conservative when we get a lead, but there are also poor choices made when we are being conservative that seem counter intuitive. For example, King snapped the ball with 10 or more seconds left on the play clock several times the offensive drive before the INT when we were trying to ice the game. It was a very sloppy game. I can’t tell if managing to win such a sloppy game by two scores against a conference opponent is impressive or if that’s fool’s gold. If we make these kind of mistakes against most of our schedule, we’ll get beat badly.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My way too soon thoughts:

1. This was a good game against a near peer in the ACC. While we should normally, due to talent, have this game sealed away, we aren't there yet. Good win.
2. This offense has real potential. We are much further along offensively than I thought we would be this year.
3. Singleton is a BEAST.
4. Other than the 2 false starts, TE play was great.
5. J. Haynes will be an excellent RB for us.
6. Special teams was an asset tonight.
7. Defense was aggressive.
8. Penalties almost killed us. Granted, a few were bad calls, but a few were pretty egregious. Got to quit giving teams a new set of downs.
9. Kennard and Biggers are the duo we've been looking for.

Now that this game is under our belt, we are still in the mix to win 6 and maybe 7 games this year. We have to take care of business but as the season goes we should get better.

While Wakes sack total was, IMO, inflated due to their opponents, holding them to 0 was a great thing for us. Our OL is improving every week.

In this game, neither team had a real coaching advantage. Both teams called good games. At the end of the day we won because our skill players were better than theirs. It's been a long time since we've manned up and beat a well coached team on talent.

Time to celebrate!!!
What about Leonard's two holding penalties?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
true, but had we not had red zone issues we'd have been up 24-3 and put that much more pressure on them.
No doubt… two late second quarter turnovers yield a whopping 3 points. Have to capitalize there. Seems like that was a “tonight” issue. My beef with the 3rd quarter is that we’ve proven on at least 3 out of 4 occasions that we start slow. I think we’ve given points and gotten none on the first possession of the third quarter for both units in each game.
It’s an issue. Big one.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching that last drive by wake, it felt like a slow death. The pessimist in me was saying they would score and get the 2 pt conversion to go up 1. I think I’ve been conditioned to feel that way over many decades. That last pick was a huge relief and felt like a season changer to me.

Getting this win puts us in a great position to make a bowl game. Not world beaters this year, but building blocks. I’m just encouraged to see a program that it seems like is heading in the right direction again. I have no doubts the offense will be fine the rest of the year, but it was nice to see the d step up tonight and win a game for us, that played lights out despite some awful flags.

O line didn’t allow a sack and gave good pass pro. Special teams didn’t disappoint either, which was a very welcome surprise after last weekend. Great job by Aiden on FG’s, and another shoutout to Gavin Stewart for still booting the kickoffs through the endzone even though he wasn’t on field goal duty.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Watching that last drive by wake, it felt like a slow death. The pessimist in me was saying they would score and get the 2 pt conversion to go up 1. I think I’ve been conditioned to feel that way over many decades. That last pick was a huge relief and felt like a season changer to me.

Getting this win puts us in a great position to make a bowl game. Not world beaters this year, but building blocks. I’m just encouraged to see a program that it seems like is heading in the right direction again. I have no doubts the offense will be fine the rest of the year, but it was nice to see the d step up tonight and win a game for us, that played lights out despite some awful flags.

O line didn’t allow a sack and gave good pass pro. Special teams didn’t disappoint either, which was a very welcome surprise after last weekend. Great job by Aiden on FG’s, and another shoutout to Gavin Stewart for still booting the kickoffs through the endzone even though he wasn’t on field goal duty.
Wake had been living on the edge all night with sacks galore and turnovers. Their luck ran out and that last one was the nail in the coffin. Not quite the same as playing Old Dominion and Vanderbilt is it?