Game 4 #GTvsWF Postgame Presser

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if it's because he's the son of a coach or if that's how he naturally is but Haynes King sounds a lot like Coach Key. Yeah, I think we're in good hands.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Haynes is really an impressive young man. I have no doubt he will continue to get even better as the season goes on. We got a good one for sure. Offensive line probably played the best game Ive seen for Tech in recent memory. Really great to see.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll throw this out there, at the risk of being derided as a pessimist.

A reporter asked and Clawson confirmed out loud one thing I observed. Griffis held on to the ball pretty long. His internal clock, or lack thereof, is in part what enabled our defense to get to him. I'll add to that, if Griffis was our QB, there would be a few pitchforks out due to his lack of pocket awareness and lack of ball security. That last INT was a poor decision (forced out of the pocket by our pressure, however).

We aren't far removed from having a QB1 who had similar challenges. If we were WF fans, I think a significant portion of the postgame narrative would be our "self-inflicted wounds". As a GT fan and observer of the QBs in the top half of the conference, including our own QB1, I don't expect opposing offenses to allow us to get home at anywhere near that frequency. In prior weeks we saw how opposing offenses got the ball out quick. I expect more of that in future weeks.

With all that said, there were things that we did that I think bode well and are repeatable in future weeks. Our DL drove the tackles back at times. Maybe WF's OL isn't the best, but in years past it hasn't mattered re: our lack of production. Secondly, our DL and blitzers maintained their rush lanes much better than in most prior performances. While at times I think a more capable QB would have escaped earlier and easier, we made it much more difficult this week by maintaining lane integrity and collapsing the pocket in a coordinated way. That's huge and we haven't seen much of that.

Not sure we'll learn much this week, but our defensive improvement and capabilities will come into focus in October.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

A reporter asked and Clawson confirmed out loud one thing I observed. Griffis held on to the ball pretty long. His internal clock, or lack thereof, is in part what enabled our defense to get to him. I'll add to that, if Griffis was our QB, there would be a few pitchforks out due to his lack of pocket awareness and lack of ball security. That last INT was a poor decision (forced out of the pocket by our pressure, however).

We aren't far removed from having a QB1 who had similar challenges. If we were WF fans, I think a significant portion of the postgame narrative would be our "self-inflicted wounds". As a GT fan and observer of the QBs in the top half of the conference, including our own QB1, I don't expect opposing offenses to allow us to get home at anywhere near that frequency. In prior weeks we saw how opposing offenses got the ball out quick. I expect more of that in future weeks.

With all that said, there were things that we did that I think bode well and are repeatable in future weeks. Our DL drove the tackles back at times. Maybe WF's OL isn't the best, but in years past it hasn't mattered re: our lack of production. Secondly, our DL and blitzers maintained their rush lanes much better than in most prior performances. While at times I think a more capable QB would have escaped earlier and easier, we made it much more difficult this week by maintaining lane integrity and collapsing the pocket in a coordinated way. That's huge and we haven't seen much of that.

Not sure we'll learn much this week, but our defensive improvement and capabilities will come into focus in October.

I was having to stream the game with some spotty internet so it kept freezing. I was lucky to watch any play, let alone a replay. For Griffis holding on too long, was that because he was indecisive or did our DBs do a good job of holding their coverage? It’s probably a little of both, but if our secondary can protect that long it has to be good sign. Especially considering in the past where we have come from where we would have made the hefty lefty look mobile.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was having to stream the game with some spotty internet so it kept freezing. I was lucky to watch any play, let alone a replay. For Griffis holding on too long, was that because he was indecisive or did our DBs do a good job of holding their coverage? It’s probably a little of both, but if our secondary can protect that long it has to be good sign. Especially considering in the past where we have come from where we would have made the hefty lefty look mobile.
I almost added that disclaimer. We couldn’t see the all-22 view on TV. So it’s possible, and I hope, that our DB coverage enabled a lot of it.

With that said, there are still creative ways to throw the ball away. And if I were a WF fan, I would still have been disappointed by Griffis enabling himself to be a sitting duck. His internal clock and escapability were poorer than I expect to see against most QBs going forward.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I'll take a contrarian view and say that Griffis held the ball because he couldn't see his receivers half the time, covered or not. He's 5'11. Our DL averages at least 6'5 if you believe the roster. We were able to collapse the pocket fairly fast. When he did get a pass off, we were able to tip 3 of them.
If Zeek is in your face and you're under six feet, pretty much all you can see is his #88.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Coming into the game against Tech, Griffis was one of the worst QBs in the nation in expected sacks per game. I think it was ~3.5 sacks per game, which is obviously even higher now after the Tech game. I’m sure Wake’s offense has something to do with the sacks, but Griffis has played about as poor as any QB I’ve consistently watched this season.

Edit: here it is (again, this was BEFORE the GT game):

1695667223567.jpeg