Game 4 Georgia Tech @ Wake Forest (-7)

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
We can easily win this game if we keep everything in a pile. OL will have a big test as I hear Wake's DL is good. However WF hasn't played nobody so I think we should be fine. As long as the offense shines and the defense bends but doesn't break we will win.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The way we were running out offense until the 4th quarter it made me wonder if the OC didn't have trust that the OL could hold blocks long enough to try for big plays.
We either ran the ball or were making quick passes. We really were not attempting any long developing plays.

As far as this game I see it as a 50/50 game and arguably the most important game of the season.
I don't think GT 'should' lose this game and I don't think it 'should' win this game. I see this as a game between 2 relatively evenly matched teams and whoever plays better Saturday night will come out with the win.

GT has played much tougher competition, but then you look at a program like Syracuse that had played 2 patsies but then went to Purdue and beat them handily. I expect this to be a close game and I hope we have a solid lead entering the 4th quarter or i'm going to be concerned about the outcome.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The way we were running out offense until the 4th quarter it made me wonder if the OC didn't have trust that the OL could hold blocks long enough to try for big plays.
We either ran the ball or were making quick passes. We really were not attempting any long developing plays.

As far as this game I see it as a 50/50 game and arguably the most important game of the season.
I don't think GT 'should' lose this game and I don't think it 'should' win this game. I see this as a game between 2 relatively evenly matched teams and whoever plays better Saturday night will come out with the win.

GT has played much tougher competition, but then you look at a program like Syracuse that had played 2 patsies but then went to Purdue and beat them handily. I expect this to be a close game and I hope we have a solid lead entering the 4th quarter or i'm going to be concerned about the outcome.
Maybe we have a smart OC and he calls plays that will work to our strength or saw something the defense was doing and giving us something else. It’s not the offense I worry about.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Not sure about that, re-watching the game, Ole Miss was very physical, we got dinged-up some but I thought the OL played relatively well overall. If we score on that 4th down red-zone play on a very catchable ball (IMO) and the refs don't miss the obvious holding call on the fake punt and we continue that drive, not saying we win, but we might be looking at that game differently. I would give us the slight edge in this game just based on schedule comparison, and, I agree it may be the most important game of the season.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have to figure out how to deal with that delayed RPO that Wake runs. They run it up the middle and our nose tackles need to blow it up or the DE has to crash down at the mesh. ODU had them beat late but I think they turned up over to give Wake the ball in the red zone. Wake's QB is not Hartman level but he's not bad either. Possible rain forecast for Saturday at this point.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
No. More bettors put money on GT.
LOL, it is a bit more nuanced than that. Save for outlier events like the Super Bowl or World Cup final, volume of money has no effect on the line. 99% of the time the line moves due to sharp money- money that comes in from profiled sharp bettors or betting groups. When you see a move this big, through key numbers, early in the week when limits are low it is usually driven off of information that is not yet public.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
I poked around a bit on the Wake boards. They thought the move from -8 to -3.5 was surprising as well and speculated on their QB health. Also pointed out the market has moved against them in the past two weeks, so maybe a well-respected group feels that Wake is being overrated on a weekly basis and is gaining more influence with their bets.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Wake will be the third best team we've played this year, and I think we'll be the best team they've played yet.

Wake's resume is very 'blah,' against a very bad schedule. Winning is better than losing, but you expect a P5 team to blow the doors off teams like Elon and ODU. I'm surprised this didn't open as a pickem.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I poked around a bit on the Wake boards. They thought the move from -8 to -3.5 was surprising as well and speculated on their QB health. Also pointed out the market has moved against them in the past two weeks, so maybe a well-respected group feels that Wake is being overrated on a weekly basis and is gaining more influence with their bets.

What I suspect is going on is that sharps are thinking the books are too slow to adjust their models… too much emphasis put on last year. And the portal has raised YoY variances a lot (at least from a spread POV). Sharps have faded Wake in both their real games and are 1-1; they’ve also backed us in both our real games and are 1-1 as well (with a really bad beat to lose last week)…

I do wonder what’s going on a Wake though since the total has lowered to 60… I can’t see them backing us based on defense?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, if our defense shows up with a pulse I think we win this game. Wake does not like to be like the team from the past couple years. GT has shown its offense can move the ball and score. It’ll be whether our defense can force Wake to more than a single punt all game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I've never met Thacker and don't know much about him before he came here, but he seems to have nine lives in his coaching tenure at GT ???
More than my tomcat does at any rate. That varmint got into a fight with another cat and cost me over $150 in vet bills. Thacker looked to be a dead duck at the end of Collins reign but managed to survive somehow.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We likely lose 38-28 or something close to it.
wash GIF

I think we win big. 48-21 type game.
Horned Frogs Football GIF by TCU Athletics

It's a broad fan base. Room for all kinds.....

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, if our defense shows up with a pulse I think we win this game. Wake does not like to be like the team from the past couple years. GT has shown its offense can move the ball and score. It’ll be whether our defense can force Wake to more than a single punt all game.
Trying to find the tiniest of silver linings but within our atrocious defensive stats the pass defense isn't as horrendous as the other areas. And Wake's offensive success is mostly through the air...so hopefully we can stuff them a bit. Granted, our run defense could likely improve their rushing success

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We have to figure out how to deal with that delayed RPO that Wake runs. They run it up the middle and our nose tackles need to blow it up or the DE has to crash down at the mesh. ODU had them beat late but I think they turned up over to give Wake the ball in the red zone. Wake's QB is not Hartman level but he's not bad either. Possible rain forecast for Saturday at this point.
Aggressively attack the mesh and put your helmet on the ball.