Game 12 #UGAvsGT Media

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This is not a knock on CPJ(love him, he’ll always be one of my favorite coaches on the flats), but this game was never truly as important to him as it was the fans. He even said this in his interview on the Schultz podcast a few years ago “It’s not just another game, but it means even more to the fans”. I have to say it’s kind of refreshing to have a coach who has the same blind hatred for the them as we fans do.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is not a knock on CPJ(love him, he’ll always be one of my favorite coaches on the flats), but this game was never truly as important to him as it was the fans. He even said this in his interview on the Schultz podcast a few years ago “It’s not just another game, but it means even more to the fans”. I have to say it’s kind of refreshing to have a coach who has the same blind hatred for the them as we fans do.
I don’t buy that… I hear what you’re saying and I heard CPJ say those types of things, but his position on it is the same as mine… the Georgia game is critical but it is not paramount. Winning the Georgia game absent of winning our division (at the time) and the conference championship gains us very little. He wanted our program to be where UGA is currently; this is a HUGE game, but we have even bigger goals.

That said, I also love the fire and the ire Coach Key directs toward the Dwags… and this is certainly not the week to temper that (y)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Meh, it was important enough that he made sure we won it in his 1st year (and a couple others after that). But yes he was not a Tech alum or player, and Key is, so yes it's going to mean that much more to Key.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just Key’s tone makes me pretty confident that our players will be ready to fight the hardest yet. You can’t fake that kind of rage, and I think it’s contagious. This team is tired of being the little brother.

Even if we lose, I’m excited to see us punch them in the mouth all night and have them walk away going “damn okay then”. The clean ole fashioned hatred is back in full bloom ladies and gents.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Meh, it was important enough that he made sure we won it in his 1st year (and a couple others after that). But yes he was not a Tech alum or player, and Key is, so yes it's going to mean that much more to Key.

I'd rather beat them than want to beat them. CPJ made it happen regardless of what he said. Lots of teams want to beat UGA and haven't succeeded. I still don't understand our fascination with alumni coaches.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd rather beat them than want to beat them. CPJ made it happen regardless of what he said.
Totally agree, I think people are taking his comments out of context, but...
I still don't understand our fascination with alumni coaches.
I don't agree here. I think this fascination is overplayed. I certainly want all of our alumni coaches to succeed. But this is a little different. He is already the coach, and the first alumni coach since Curry, so not much to compare to. Key has warmed up to me all year, but the jury is still out. But he has me excited for a game that I wasn't going to last week. His energy is contagious, and I think it will be contagious for the players. Regardless of the outcome, we won't necessarily know if it helped us play better, but to me, it is refreshing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t buy that… I hear what you’re saying and I heard CPJ say those types of things, but his position on it is the same as mine… the Georgia game is critical but it is not paramount. Winning the Georgia game absent of winning our division (at the time) and the conference championship gains us very little.
I think this is a bit understated. I think we all want to win our conference as our first goal. But the Uga game is a "get out of jail" free card for coaches failing that. Like it or not, this game carries equivalent weight in the minds of many? most? fans. At the start of the year I think the overwhelming majority would choose winning the ACC outright over beating Uga, as it means a pretty good season. However, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't we win the ACC once under Paul but lose the Uga game? I remember that left a sour taste in our mouths and somewhat negated the accomplishments of the year. Again, I may be not remembering this correctly but (I think) it was the year that we were both favored and played them at home.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody likes to hear it, but I’ve got nothing but respect for how Kirby runs his program. Just hope were on a trajectory where we’re seriously challenging them every 2-3 years.
Ah yes respect the dead players and staff members and constant breaking of the law

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a bit understated. I think we all want to win our conference as our first goal. But the Uga game is a "get out of jail" free card for coaches failing that. Like it or not, this game carries equivalent weight in the minds of many? most? fans. At the start of the year I think the overwhelming majority would choose winning the ACC outright over beating Uga, as it means a pretty good season. However, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't we win the ACC once under Paul but lose the Uga game? I remember that left a sour taste in our mouths and somewhat negated the accomplishments of the year. Again, I may be not remembering this correctly but (I think) it was the year that we were both favored and played them at home.
Fair…
Obviously as a coach you can’t NEVER beat UGA (Chan Gailey) but I also don’t think we’d be happy very long if we are beating UGA to notch 6-7 win seasons… although the angst in Athens would be fun, we need to achieve more. I think that’s where Johnson was coming from and that message is certainly much better received from a coach who is getting some wins over the Dwags.

And you are correct; we had a stellar season with a conference championship and a black mark from the Dwags that just flat out sucked.