Game 1 #NIUvsGT Media

slugboy

Staff member
Not what we usually call media, but Joe Hamilton is doing our pre-game show now

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Looks to be short. Compare that to Ja's highlight reel, particularly this play below.

Compare the difference in acceleration and speed, not even considering shiftiness. I'd take Gibbs as a WR over that guy any day.

If this is their baller then I think we should be able to handle it.

Exactly

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
A few of things that stood out to me:
1. Patenaude said at least in practice right now we seem to be just as good in the running game as the passing game. Huge if it comes to fruition, and an effective RPO game will keep us very versatile depending on what the defense gives us.
2. The whole playbook was installed during camp, so we have the option of running all our plays from any formation and motion. Thus, we can give significantly different looks based on what we anticipate for the defense we will face, and we won't be telegraphing our playbook every week with game film. Perhaps more importantly, Patenaude says he's comfortable changing up the game plan at any point during a game based on what we're seeing. This was a huge limitation for us the last couple years
3. Kevin Harris has been so disruptive at times in practices that coaches took him out so that they were capable of working on something. Sounds like a monster.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
1. Patenaude said at least in practice right now we seem to be just as good in the running game as the passing game. Huge if it comes to fruition, and an effective RPO game will keep us very versatile depending on what the defense gives us.
2. The whole playbook was installed during camp, so we have the option of running all our plays from any formation and motion. Thus, we can give significantly different looks based on what we anticipate for the defense we will face, and we won't be telegraphing our playbook every week with game film. Perhaps more importantly, Patenaude says he's comfortable changing up the game plan at any point during a game based on what we're seeing. This was a huge limitation for us the last couple years
3. Kevin Harris has been so disruptive at times in practices that coaches took him out so that they were capable of working on something. Sounds like a monster.
I got the sense listening to the presser that the pass / run comparison included the RBs out of the back field. So hope the WR group has at least one guy establish himself as a reliable target as well. Throw in the TE improvements and we could be better than most are predicting.

Yeah heard your third point as well and started getting hyped. CGC also had a comment about it.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
NIU Linebacker Preview: https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/8/26/position-preview-linebackers.aspx

Summary. Two returners are the only non-freshman linebackers who can play.

I wish it were easier to distinguish freshman who played last year from freshman coming out of high school.

Overall, their roster is similar to ours in that it is dominated by underclassmen, but they have an even smaller veteran presence than we do. I expect our depth to play a role in this game.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I've watched a few of these press conferences from this year compared to previous years and the excitement looks less fake this year (at least looking at old interviews with hindsight). I think our coaches know we have a pretty good team this year.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
#3. I remember a few people questioning bringing a guy from Alabama that couldn’t make their 2-3 deep. I’m liking out DE rotation big time!