Game 1 Key Decisions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Really the game was very even overall.The differences were 1- the poor tackling on our part 2- the QB fumble on the missed block 3-the missed gimme FG. also-I wonder what Key and team learned from the flat 2nd half. -- or-Makes one wonder if they are not in good enough shape? We will look back on this as a VERY missed oppty I believe..
I wonder if the conservative play calling was an attempt to run the ball and control the clock a little to give our defense a breather. Seems they were gassed pretty soon after the third quarter started. The long run where the Tech defensive back hit the Cardinal running back near the line of scrimmage and bounced off of him like a tennis ball hitting a Mack truck may be a bad omen for what is to come. We will see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That's what Joe Hamilton said on the radio. By the way, excellent play-by-play and color by the broadcast team. I was impressed.
Are we SURE Joe Ham does not have any eligibility remaining? Put Hamilton with that group of receivers and people would be wondering if they were at a track meet instead of a football game.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The one I MAYBE change is the FG before the half, and I’m not really sure I’d change it. If we had it in our arsenal, spread everyone out and go wildcat or even let King run it. If you break the LOS, you have to get down and call TO unless it’s nothing but green grass.
That said, anything you do wrong (even a penalty) takes you out of range.
I think that call was the right one given the circumstances and especially in the dome.

I think the third quarter was a matter of adjustments and momentum. Lville established some downhill running then got receivers in space one on one and we couldn’t tackle. They put together a long drive and even though the D stiffened in the red zone again, we responded with basically a three and out (maybe a first down, don’t recall, but we didn’t move the ball or run any clock). The D is right back on the field and they drove again in the same manner. Just like that, it was a five point game, the third quarter was essentially gone, and our offense had run less than five plays.
We never got back in the offensive rhythm we had before the half but I also think Lville decided to crowd the line and dare us to go deep when we wanted to stay flat and run the football.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The one I MAYBE change is the FG before the half, and I’m not really sure I’d change it. If we had it in our arsenal, spread everyone out and go wildcat or even let King run it. If you break the LOS, you have to get down and call TO unless it’s nothing but green grass.
That said, anything you do wrong (even a penalty) takes you out of range.
I think that call was the right one given the circumstances and especially in the dome.

I think the third quarter was a matter of adjustments and momentum. Lville established some downhill running then got receivers in space one on one and we couldn’t tackle. They put together a long drive and even though the D stiffened in the red zone again, we responded with basically a three and out (maybe a first down, don’t recall, but we didn’t move the ball or run any clock). The D is right back on the field and they drove again in the same manner. Just like that, it was a five point game, the third quarter was essentially gone, and our offense had run less than five plays.
We never got back in the offensive rhythm we had before the half but I also think Lville decided to crowd the line and dare us to go deep when we wanted to stay flat and run the football.
At the time I had no problem with the long FG attempt before the half, even though it was far beyond our kicker's normal range – but not so sure now. Not because I've thought of a better play, but because of the missed FG in the second half.

Stewart was money last year. 12/13 with his only miss due to a bad snap/hold. Tied a FG % record. I really thought our FG problems were in the past. Since so much of kicking is mental, and kickers need to be confident in their ability, why set him up to fail? Now you’ve sown the seed of doubt and he’s second-guessing himself. The result? He uncharacteristically misses the next kick - an easy one. Pure speculation, but wondering now.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
At the time I had no problem with the long FG attempt before the half, even though it was far beyond our kicker's normal range – but not so sure now. Not because I've thought of a better play, but because of the missed FG in the second half.

Stewart was money last year. 12/13 with his only miss due to a bad snap/hold. Tied a FG % record. I really thought our FG problems were in the past. Since so much of kicking is mental, and kickers need to be confident in their ability, why set him up to fail? Now you’ve sown the seed of doubt and he’s second-guessing himself. The result? He uncharacteristically misses the next kick - an easy one. Pure speculation, but wondering now.
On the other hand the 54 yard attempt was a very good kick, had the direction and was a couple of yards short. I would think that would give him confidence but with kickers who knows.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Did Douse and Sims even play and did Brooks go out with an injury ? with 1 tackle.Without arguably the 3 best DEF players No wonder the DEF --er, suffered -to be kind.And no wonder we didn't announce a depth chart..

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Interesting...
I know what you mean and I still kinda disagree. As long as football has been around, fans have believed that kickers are head cases. Maybe there’s truth to it, but I feel like that one was a freebie and even a miss still gives us an opportunity for snap, hold, kick in live action.
At the time, I think it was our best chance for points (believe it was said that we like him to 49 yards, especially indoors), and it was a trial run for the one we might need later. I don’t think the miss stuck in his head to the fourth.... but who knows... maybe kickers are head cases. :)

Ramblinwreck86

Georgia Tech Fan
During Halftime, Stewart attempted the same 55 yard kick and made easily. Granted it was not a game situation but he seemed to have the leg. I think another big key play was Louisville converting on 4th and 4 on our 40 yard line to start the 2nd half. Stop them there and go on to score and it is a totally different game. While I hated the hand-offs up the middle during our 2nd half, I think we should have tried to shove it down Louisville with 3 minutes to go in the game. Kick a field goal ( hopefully ) with less than a minute to go and take the lead - let the defense stop them. A frustrating but also encouraging game.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering how long Key will stay with Thacker. I think he has had long enough to establish a decent Power 5 defense. I do not see any improvement over the time he has been in charge. I think it would send a strong message to the team if he made a change now. Let one of the current assistants take the helm.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering how long Key will stay with Thacker. I think he has had long enough to establish a decent Power 5 defense. I do not see any improvement over the time he has been in charge. I think it would send a strong message to the team if he made a change now. Let one of the current assistants take the helm.

Go Jackets!
We have co-DC's. Thacker is calling the plays now, but that can change easily. Let's see how they clean things up. Week 2 is usually a huge improvement from Week 1. (I know next week's competition is not close, so Iet's see how we do against Ole Miss)

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!
Dude if he fires Thacker now he’ll never hire another quality assistant again

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What about in the second half when we had them pinned back and chose to decline a false start. Making it 2nd and 10 from the 10 rather than 1st and 15 from the 5. Not even a decision I questioned in retrospect, we in the stands were all puzzled why we declined it before the next play even started.
Would have been 1st and 14, iirc they were on the 8 yard line. I think 2nd 10 was better choice, jmo.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We have co-DC's. Thacker is calling the plays now, but that can change easily. Let's see how they clean things up. Week 2 is usually a huge improvement from Week 1. (I know next week's competition is not close, so Iet's see how we do against Ole Miss)
Forensicbuzz you and I know how this will be after next week. We play SC State who point blank has no offense we will look great against them and 90 % of the people will be singing how great he is now. Then next week after that we play Ole Miss and it starts again. (You know the TECH fans way) Losing your 3 best player hurt more than some would like to think.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
During Halftime, Stewart attempted the same 55 yard kick and made easily. Granted it was not a game situation but he seemed to have the leg. I think another big key play was Louisville converting on 4th and 4 on our 40 yard line to start the 2nd half. Stop them there and go on to score and it is a totally different game. While I hated the hand-offs up the middle during our 2nd half, I think we should have tried to shove it down Louisville with 3 minutes to go in the game. Kick a field goal ( hopefully ) with less than a minute to go and take the lead - let the defense stop them. A frustrating but also encouraging game.
Interesting take. Hated it but wanted more of what you hated. Ok.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Thacker is a fine DC. Guy has put some stellar game plans together. We scored 28 or more points only twice last year and were dead last in the NCAA in red zone scoring but still won 5 games. Let’s not throw him under the bus with one bad half in the first game of the season.

Oh and his defense ranked in the top 40 with only one player drafted. Who here thinks Kirby would have a top 10 defense with only one player drafted?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
What about in the second half when we had them pinned back and chose to decline a false start. Making it 2nd and 10 from the 10 rather than 1st and 15 from the 5. Not even a decision I questioned in retrospect, we in the stands were all puzzled why we declined it before the next play even started.

Thacker is a fine DC. Guy has put some stellar game plans together. We scored 28 or more points only twice last year and were dead last in the NCAA in red zone scoring but still won 5 games. Let’s not throw him under the bus with one bad half in the first game of the season.

Oh and his defense ranked in the top 40 with only one player drafted. Who here thinks Kirby would have a top 10 defense with only one player drafted?
Our defense against Louisville was very bad. The DL gets no pressure on the QB. When we blitz, it;s usually a zone blitz where a DE drops into coverage and 1 or 2 LBs blitz. We still get zero pressure on the QB and the DEs really can't cover a zone.

The DBs play way off the receivers and are poor tacklers in space. Plumber is one of the worst QBs we will face this year. The good QBs, and we will see several will simply torch our defense.

Unfortunately we simply don't have much talent on the DL or at LB. So from that perspective Thacker doesn't have many good options.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Our defense against Louisville was very bad. The DL gets no pressure on the QB. When we blitz, it;s usually a zone blitz where a DE drops into coverage and 1 or 2 LBs blitz. We still get zero pressure on the QB and the DEs really can't cover a zone.

The DBs play way off the receivers and are poor tacklers in space. Plumber is one of the worst QBs we will face this year. The good QBs, and we will see several will simply torch our defense.

Unfortunately we simply don't have much talent on the DL or at LB. So from that perspective Thacker doesn't have many good options.
A BIG problem may have been that Sylvain, Brooks for sure and maybe Douse and Sims were out. (Douse didn't show a tackle in stats)A huge part of the DEF makes a difference for sure..

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Bad for the whole game is a little exaggerated. Louisville was 1-11 on 3rd downs and 0-7 in the first half with only 160 yards of total offense. We also held them in the red zone twice making them settle for FGs. Yes in the 2nd half the defense was non existent

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Bad for the whole game is a little exaggerated. Louisville was 1-11 on 3rd downs and 0-7 in the first half with only 160 yards of total offense. We also held them in the red zone twice making them settle for FGs. Yes in the 2nd half the defense was non existent
How many open receivers did Plumber miss by throwing the ball into the turf. Lots in the first half. That's not a defensive strategy that will hold up. That a team scores 39 points and is 1-11 on 3rd is also telling on how poor the defense was.