Gaaame Daaaay

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah what’s the story behind that? Not to completely derail this thing but i was always curious to know how they knew/what was said to him

I was at the game and it was terrible. I can find a couple of articles after, but they don’t talk about the play stealing. I’m not sure it was stealing the calls or there being a “tell” in how we set up. It may be a myth, but it was something I heard right after the game. The defense had been pretty good the year before—not great, but it showed signs of being something good and I had hopes that it would improve. Instead, the wheels came off.
We barely lost 20-17 to VT to start the year. Then we beat up Presbyterian. We crushed UVA 56-20 after that. Then Miami edged us 42-36 in overtime.
MTSU was our fifth game. We came out uninspired, and were tied at halftime. In the second half, they punted twice. Otherwise, they scored TDs. It was one of our biggest losses of the year, nearly the most points we gave up in any game (there was a 68-50 win against UNC), and we played a bunch of top 20 teams. It’s possible that we just played awful, but the rumors were that we knew they knew our defensive calls, that coaches were telling Groh and he didn’t believe them, and that MTSU’s coach confirmed it after the game.
I can’t find anything on any boards with that rumor. You’d think someone would have posted it, even it it was a crazy rumor.
Groh got fired after Clemson the next week.
Maybe a player from around that time can torpedo that rumor, especially since I can’t find much to support it.
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...ia-tech-falls-to-middle-tennessee-state-49-28

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game and it was terrible. I can find a couple of articles after, but they don’t talk about the play stealing. I’m not sure it was stealing the calls or there being a “tell” in how we set up. It may be a myth, but it was something I heard right after the game. The defense had been pretty good the year before—not great, but it showed signs of being something good and I had hopes that it would improve. Instead, the wheels came off.
We barely lost 20-17 to VT to start the year. Then we beat up Presbyterian. We crushed UVA 56-20 after that. Then Miami edged us 42-36 in overtime.
MTSU was our fifth game. We came out uninspired, and were tied at halftime. In the second half, they punted twice. Otherwise, they scored TDs. It was one of our biggest losses of the year, nearly the most points we gave up in any game (there was a 68-50 win against UNC), and we played a bunch of top 20 teams. It’s possible that we just played awful, but the rumors were that we knew they knew our defensive calls, that coaches were telling Groh and he didn’t believe them, and that MTSU’s coach confirmed it after the game.
I can’t find anything on any boards with that rumor. You’d think someone would have posted it, even it it was a crazy rumor.
Maybe a player from around that time can torpedo that rumor, especially since I can’t find much to support it.
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...ia-tech-falls-to-middle-tennessee-state-49-28
Thanks for the insight. I forgot how miserable that game was lol

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
To sum it up, we've had some damn ugly years. I hope CGC is our new Dodd and can take us to the glory land. We deserve it.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I think Paulie was college football fan
117638306_1017077612078056_708712069448395637_n.jpg

MidtownJacket

Staff member