Gaaame Daaaay

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
9EE74B1E-5F72-4035-9634-AB3F3D6BE522.jpeg

I do enjoy these - not one pass play. :)

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I definitely agree that Woody would have turned out better than Roof, if he had had more time.

+1. I think our defense is going to do great once it gets its feet under it. Excited to see what’s next.

But that isn’t to take away from Nate Woody. I would say the same thing for him - his defense would have been amazing had it had time to get settled.

Was glad to see him land at Army, and am glad to see his defense kicking ***.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I was there for that embarrassment- not as embarrassing as last year losing to the Citadel. That team quit that day for some reason, & I really never understood it.
wasnt that the game that the other team knew what al groh was going to call on defense? if so and the coaches didnt change calls, id quit too.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
wasnt that the game that the other team knew what al groh was going to call on defense? if so and the coaches didnt change calls, id quit too.
That game was similarly embarrassing as last years citadel game but it was definitely the defensive side that was awful. We were blown out by three touchdowns. Let’s hope those games are behind us.

slugboy

Staff member
That was Middle Tennessee. The opposing coaches told Groh after the game.

I apologize for bringing back traumatic memories, but I blame the ACC Network for the replay.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Many here might still consider the Paul Johnson offense "boring", but the possibility of one defender missing an assignment and breaking one all the way to the end zone every snap was pretty damned exciting to me. Jeff Monken's version of it had a patented "Death March" drive from their own 1 yard line, kept the ball for 19 plays, 99 yards and ate up damn near an entire quarter's time before scoring. They had another touchdown drive of 19 plays for 85 yards. Another drive had a conversion of a 4th and 3 that resulted in a 24 yard TD scamper right through their defense. MTSU only had 7 ineffective possessions. Ground MTSU into DUST under their heels. Their sideline looked so beaten they might give up the game.

It was a thing of beauty.

Page has been turned so let's see Collins whip the Noles Saturday! I can't believe I actually saw Gameday on TV and real college football all day and evening. HOPE for the future!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Many here might still consider the Paul Johnson offense "boring", but the possibility of one defender missing an assignment and breaking one all the way to the end zone every snap was pretty damned exciting to me. Jeff Monken's version of it had a patented "Death March" drive from their own 1 yard line, kept the ball for 19 plays, 99 yards and ate up damn near an entire quarter's time before scoring. They had another touchdown drive of 19 plays for 85 yards. Another drive had a conversion of a 4th and 3 that resulted in a 24 yard TD scamper right through their defense. MTSU only had 7 ineffective possessions. Ground MTSU into DUST under their heels. Their sideline looked so beaten they might give up the game.

Page has been turned so let's see Collins whip the Noles Saturday! I can't believe I actually saw Gameday on TV and real college football all day and evening. HOPE for the future!

I think this strange season, assuming we were still running that O and assuming we had an experienced QB running the show, could have set us up for a successful run. I just think with all of the unknowns and the covid, it will be even harder to prepare for something like Monken is running at Army. Like you said, page has been turned, so we will never know. Fun to think about.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Did MTSU leave the blueprint at home?

I think it was during one of the radio shows (a season or two later) where CPJ said the MTSU coach told him about the signals after the game at the mid-field handshake. He said something to the effect of he suspected that was what was happening during the game but then the MTSU coach confirmed it. I do remember thinking that he seemed more pissed at himself more than anyone else.

Was it just the defense signals they were stealing or was this when we started experimenting with getting offensive signals from the sideline too? Cause I remember our offense waspretty anemic that game as well.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did MTSU leave the blueprint at home?

I think it was during one of the radio shows (a season or two later) where CPJ said the MTSU coach told him about the signals after the game at the mid-field handshake. He said something to the effect of he suspected that was what was happening during the game but then the MTSU coach confirmed it. I do remember thinking that he seemed more pissed at himself more than anyone else.

Was it just the defense signals they were stealing or was this when we started experimenting with getting offensive signals from the sideline too? Cause I remember our offense waspretty anemic that game as well.

I was at that game, and MTSU had some stout boys in the D line, and everyone of their guys looked like they were keeping their assignments. We were never able to get the B-back going at all with dives, so it made for a very long day. (I think only the D signals were being stolen)

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That was Middle Tennessee. The opposing coaches told Groh after the game.

I apologize for bringing back traumatic memories, but I blame the ACC Network for the replay.
Yeah what’s the story behind that? Not to completely derail this thing but i was always curious to know how they knew/what was said to him

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this strange season, assuming we were still running that O and assuming we had an experienced QB running the show, could have set us up for a successful run. I just think with all of the unknowns and the covid, it will be even harder to prepare for something like Monken is running at Army. Like you said, page has been turned, so we will never know. Fun to think about.
And I will say, even before the coronavirus impact I expected the team would show a lot of improvement across the board this year which would likely not be reflected in the win-loss record. Another 3 win season against the original schedule was realistic but they would be a lot more competitive in the games they lost vs. last year. Anything above the last place finish predicted would be a nice scheise-burger for the media to choke on, but it will be very tough to achieve.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow

I will always cherish the times when CPJ's TO just wore people flat out... Of course, the pain of horrible defenses, year after year, took a little shine off of the experience...

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
I will always cherish the times when CPJ's TO just wore people flat out... Of course, the pain of horrible defenses, year after year, took a little shine off of the experience...
Paul Johnson will be a CFB Hall of Fame coach... but the future is now with Collins. He seems to be very much aligned with the "personal brand" desires of today's high school kids, but WINNING has to follow to maintain that credibility with the recruits or he will quickly descend into the internet meme dungeon.

I personally don't buy into the hype stuff, but then as the old saying goes "Not my circus, not my monkeys", so I have to trust this is the right approach to win over the current generation.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I looked at offensive rankings in several categories from 2015-2018 after seeing your post. I didn't see a lot of beauty in those stats.