GA Tech National Champs

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
How can I say this? Well, regardless of which team wins the game Monday Night, we have an easy path to the Championship:

If Ohio State wins, then follow this logic:

GA Tech beat VA Tech
VA Tech beat Ohio State
Ohio State beat Oregon in the Championship game
This means GA Tech is National Champ

If Oregon wins, then follow this logic:

Georgia Tech beat Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh beat Boston College
Boston College beat USC
USC beat Arizona
Arizona beat Oregon
Oregon beat Ohio State in the Championship game

http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourte...&loser=Oregon&year=2014&method=2#.VLMBjIE8KrU

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh Boy. How 'bout we win it the conventional way next season? I wonder how many teams can claim the transitive property natty? Probably anybody with a single win in FBS in 2014.

How can I say this? Well, regardless of which team wins the game Monday Night, we have an easy path to the Championship:

GA Tech beat VA Tech
VA Tech beat Ohio State
Ohio State beat Oregon in the Championship game

Georgia Tech beat Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh beat Boston College
Boston College beat USC
USC beat Arizona
Arizona beat Oregon
Oregon beat Ohio State in the Championship game

http://www.myteamisbetterthanyourte...&loser=Oregon&year=2014&method=2#.VLMBjIE8KrU
Maybe you can take Archie Manning's seat on the committee.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The reason "body of work" is important is because football teams only tend to play each other once, or twice maximum during a season. Would Ohio State lose to Duke and North Carolina in succession? Championships are rightly a matter of "climbing the mountain" as opposed to being plus-number in every statistical breakdown of the scores. The ideal way to crown a best team by a strict Las Vegas standard would be to play series of 5 or 7 games between two teams at a time, but it's beyond the practical limitations of the competition.

For instance, I used to think the IIHF ice hockey championships were unfair, because countries play in a single-elimination final round as opposed to NHL-style playoff series. But then I realized a gold medal team has to win 3 games in a row (or more) to prevail, so it's like sweeping a best-of-5 playoff, only against different opponents each night.

Ohio State won the conference championship by 50+ points, then soundly beat Alabama. Oregon pounded a top-10 team and then blew out a team nobody could beat for 2 years. They're the two best teams right now, regardless of any if-then scenarios.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The reason "body of work" is important is because football teams only tend to play each other once, or twice maximum during a season. Would Ohio State lose to Duke and North Carolina in succession? Championships are rightly a matter of "climbing the mountain" as opposed to being plus-number in every statistical breakdown of the scores. The ideal way to crown a best team by a strict Las Vegas standard would be to play series of 5 or 7 games between two teams at a time, but it's beyond the practical limitations of the competition.

For instance, I used to think the IIHF ice hockey championships were unfair, because countries play in a single-elimination final round as opposed to NHL-style playoff series. But then I realized a gold medal team has to win 3 games in a row (or more) to prevail, so it's like sweeping a best-of-5 playoff, only against different opponents each night.

Ohio State won the conference championship by 50+ points, then soundly beat Alabama. Oregon pounded a top-10 team and then blew out a team nobody could beat for 2 years. They're the two best teams right now, regardless of any if-then scenarios.

um, I think you may be replying to this thread as if it were more serious than intended

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't replying to the thread directly, but to the phenomenon of scoreboard "gotcha" games in the playoff debates. i.e. Baylor's fanbase for much of this season. And take my wife, please.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Ah the ole college football circle of suck

ujfopKo.jpg

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
. . .

. . .

Well they were prepared in AT&T Stadium last night, the confetti they dropped was White & Gold.

All hail the National Champions, Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets!

AP11292704868.jpg

american-football.jpg