Ga. Tech going back to Hawaii…..Diamond Head Classic Tournament……

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
It appears that Portland has replaced St. Mary's in the tourney. May be good for us, St. Mary's should be very good this season.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's okay, we get TCU in the Championship.

Season 3 Episode 304 GIF by Rick and Morty

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Think one could make the trip (5-6 days total) with a family of four for less than $10K? Assuming you used one of the travel packages available?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Think one could make the trip (5-6 days total) with a family of four for less than $10K? Assuming you used one of the travel packages available?
Some Google results are saying $12k-13kish for a family of 4 10 day vacation to Hawaii so I would say yes that is realistic. I've never been to Hawaii - beach, seafood, golf, hike, basketball -- it would be fun but it's hard to manage around the holiday.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some Google results are saying $12k-13kish for a family of 4 10 day vacation to Hawaii so I would say yes that is realistic. I've never been to Hawaii - beach, seafood, golf, hike, basketball -- it would be fun but it's hard to manage around the holiday.

Family of 4? Me, you, @Connell62 , and a 4th?

Let @Peacone36 and @dtm1997 fight it out for the last spot.

You guys split the cost 3 ways. I'll bring the witty banter. Deal? ;)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know.. surprisingly enough, my wife was onboard. If we were playing better opponents, I'd probably go after it.

That said, I think that I am going to hope that CDS turns things around and we get another chance 4-5 years down the road.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I've been to Hawaii many times. Couple of thoughts if anyone is considering the trip

Oahu is nice but not my fave. Honolulu is kinda like NYC dropped into the Pacific. Lots of tall buildings, really bad traffic, too many people and a really nice beach. Doesn't feel like you're in tropical paradise unless you're sitting on the beach. Outside Honolulu, it's wonderful. Drive over the pali (and through the pineapple groves) to Turtle Bay. Grab a shave ice at Mr Matsumoto's. Swim in Hanauma Bay. Hike up Diamond Head. If I were going to the tourney, I'd look for a hotel or AirBnB on the north shore, near Turtle Bay. Away from the city, but only an hour drive into Honolulu for the games.

If you feel like island hopping while you're there, Hawaiian Airlines makes it easy. Definitely worth it if you have the time.

Maui is my favorite Hawaiian island. Sadly, it may never come back. Lahaina was always the place to go for nightlife and shopping. Kihei was a close second. Both are now completely gone. The big hotels in Wailea, Kaanapali and Kapalua seem to have all survived ok. Road to Hana and Mother's Fish House are ok, per reports. Haleakala is still fine, as far as I can tell. (Shameless solicitation. If you have the means and are so inclined, the people of Maui need massive help. Red Cross and many other reputable charities are raising money to provide food, water, clothing, shelter and medical care to the people of the island)

Big Island is fantastic if you like to get outdoors and do things. Multiple volcanoes, rain forest, tons of hiking, and of course amazing watersports. Don't expect lots of shopping or nightlife, but if you want to feel like you're on an island in the tropics, it's a great spot. (NB, I've never been to Kauai, but it is supposed to be the island that has the most "island in paradise" vibe with tons of rain forests and waterfalls and not nearly as many people or civilization)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Why go to away games in Hawaii when you can book a 3 day December vacation in beautiful Cincinnati?

Its Skyline Time GIF by Skyline Chili
I drive to Cincy (I'm about 1.25 hrs out) frequently, but I go for the horse racing. Shameless plug, my son is working on his trainers license this summer. I pass on the Skyline everytime.