GA Tech Gets it Done

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Not only did Georgia Tech earn the biggest victory of the bowl season for the ACC, and not only did it finish with 11 wins for just the second time since 1990 — but the Yellow Jackets did so against one of the toughest schedules in college football this year.

For the season, Georgia Tech’s opponents had a combined winning percentage of .639 — the fifth-highest mark in the nation. Only Ole Miss (.697), Auburn (.666), Arkansas (.663) and UCLA (.640) had a tougher schedule overall. If only considering Power 5 opponents, no non-SEC team had a tougher slate than Georgia Tech, whose opponents had a combined winning percentage of .656.

The victory over Mississippi State in the Capital One Orange Bowl was the third of the season over a ranked foe for Georgia Tech. Overall, Tech was 3-1 vs. ranked opponents, with its only defeat a two-point loss to Florida State in the ACC championship game. The only other teams to win at least three games against ranked opponents while losing no more than one were Oregon, TCU, UCLA, Ohio State, Florida State and Baylor.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/79193/by-the-numbers-acc-bowl-wrap-up

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
And this re Laskey:
"Georgia Tech’s Zach Laskey had 171 rushing attempts this season, and just four went for a loss or no gain. That rate of 2.3 percent was easily the best in the country (and less than half the next closest player) and is the lowest by any FBS running back with at least 150 carries in the last decade."

Wow! would be an appropriate reaction.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly think we may have been the quietest 11-3 team in college football. Just all of a sudden blew up with the backloaded schedule. I knew we had a tough end stretch, and its obvious our schedule was tough. OSU and Oregon are the only other teams to beat 3 10+ win teams. Next year we will probably have one of the toughest schedules again, if we can make it back to the ACCCG we will probably have the hardest schedule in the country.

ND early on followed by the rumor/tweets that we play FSU @Clemson and UGA to end the season.
If we made the ACCCG again our potential schedule would end:
FSU
@Clemson
UGA
FSU/Clemson in ACCCG
Bowl/playoff vs power 5

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think we may have been the quietest 11-3 team in college football. Just all of a sudden blew up with the backloaded schedule. I knew we had a tough end stretch, and its obvious our schedule was tough. OSU and Oregon are the only other teams to beat 3 10+ win teams. Next year we will probably have one of the toughest schedules again, if we can make it back to the ACCCG we will probably have the hardest schedule in the country.

ND early on followed by the rumor/tweets that we play FSU @Clemson and UGA to end the season.
FSU
@Clemson
UGA
FSU/Clemson in ACCCG
Bowl/playoff vs power 5

If we can have a "monster" year like this next season, with only ONE loss, outside TWO at WORST, with THAT schedule, then I guarantee that we'll be in the discussion for the Bowl Playoffs.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

FSU
@Clemson
UGA
FSU/Clemson in ACCCG
Bowl/playoff vs power 5
I think Clemson has another game scheduled the week before we play UG.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just basing it off of one of our players tweets about the order of games. I don't know if that factors in maybe a bye week before UGA or something like that. Nothing official schedule wise has been posted though so no idea. Schedule is definitely going to be a tough one overall though

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
And this re Laskey:
"Georgia Tech’s Zach Laskey had 171 rushing attempts this season, and just four went for a loss or no gain. That rate of 2.3 percent was easily the best in the country (and less than half the next closest player) and is the lowest by any FBS running back with at least 150 carries in the last decade."

Wow! would be an appropriate reaction.
I have one word to elaborate on this ---SHAQ, when we really needed something we went right mostly

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
He hit the hole hard every time (even more so than Days) but I didn't think he was that effective. Gonna miss Zach next year for sure.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That is remarkable given the fact that the dive is what almost EVERYONE focuses on taking away. I know it is mitigated by the read pre-snap, and again on give options, but still. 4 times, and 4 times ONLY?! That is boss.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this is because Zach has always hit the hole faster then any of our other BBs, even Dwyer. And that is why I wanted him to start his junior year. So why didn't he? Blocking, of course. Then all of a sudden he learned how to do it.

As I've said before, I'll miss turning to my son while we're watching Tech games and yelling, "It's third and Laskey!" He's always been one of my favorites.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
He also had an impressive jump into the stands after the Miami game. He landed right beside the pretty blonde girl, proving he has excellent timing and positioning.:)
He simply typified this team as someone who gave their best on every down. He may have been rated as 2 stars coming out of high school but he has proven himself to be a 5 star Tech man.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I had the good fortune to talk with Laskey after the bowl game at legnth. He hates uga with a passion. wont get into details, but it's embedded deeply. I approve!

That explains why Laskey went out of his way to make sure he hit somebody hard on most of his runs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had the good fortune to talk with Laskey after the bowl game at legnth. He hates uga with a passion. wont get into details, but it's embedded deeply. I approve!

of course he does. you learn that as a freshman along with calculus and where all the places are that have draft beers for a quarter on Thursday nights. It's getting pretty close to 40 years since I was a rat and almost that long since I could actually do an integral or derivative....or since I've had a $.25 beer...but I still remember that!:)