Ga Tech Clark College exhibition game

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the scrimmage suggests that Dowuona has not rounded his game significantly, so he might be limited to being a situational defender and not a likely a starter.

When Stoudamire says guys like Gapare and Ndongo can "defend 1 through 5" I don't think he means it as compliment, rather he means it in terms of that is what he needs to play the switching defense he wants to play.

He has identified Ndongo as a 5. He has called Gapare one of the most talented players in the country. So, I am guessing Gapare is the 4 and Ndongo is the 5. At least that is the hope.

But I do expect wholesale substitutions and the young players may not be ready to command starter's minutes, especially early in the season. I look forward to seeing if Claude can play the kind of defense Stoudamire wants.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the scrimmage suggests that Dowuona has not rounded his game significantly, so he might be limited to being a situational defender and not a likely a starter.

When Stoudamire says guys like Gapare and Ndongo can "defend 1 through 5" I don't think he means it as compliment, rather he means it in terms of that is what he needs to play the switching defense he wants to play.

He has identified Ndongo as a 5. He has called Gapare one of the most talented players in the country. So, I am guessing Gapare is the 4 and Ndongo is the 5. At least that is the hope.

But I do expect wholesale substitutions and the young players may not be ready to command starter's minutes, especially early in the season. I look forward to seeing if Claude can play the kind of defense Stoudamire wants.
Saying a guy can defend 1 through 5 is always a compliment. Speaks to an ability to not only but effective in the lane as a post defender but also the ability to stay with and in front of ball handlers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I never liked Bobby Knight. My dislike was so strong that it even made it hard for me to appreciate his “son” Coach K.
My best friend from HS played FB at West Point during Knight years. The FB players would go to the BB games and sit right behind the bench to see what shenanigans he would pull during games. They didn't care about the game but just wanted to see what Knight was going to do.
He said he never met coach K while they were both athletes there. He was one year ahead of K.