Ga Tech Clark College exhibition game

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Scrimmages and exhibitions are fun but meaningless for the fans. They are meaningful for the coaches and players but trying to extrapolate anything from one isn't really worth the time especially against a D2 team, and especially with as many missing pieces as we had.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If I would have one thing I wanted the team to do well is to shoot the ball well.

The team shot 58% from the field, 46% from 3 and 75% from the line. We had 25 assists on 33 made field goals, which is outstanding. Guys were scoring off of passes. That is really good.

Turnovers and fouling are team issues which can get better, but shooting is a skill and doesn't necessarily improve. One good shooting night doesn't guarantee anything, but it is way better than the guys showing rough shooting.

We held them to 35% from the field and 22% from 3. That is good.

The stat lines for Reeves, Abram and Sacko were good!

A clear negative is giving up 20 offensive boards. Claude, Ndongo and Souare did not play, which are basically our rebounders. Since rebounding and turnovers are a clear priority for Stoudamire, the team is sure to get a working over before the next game.

Most of us have been around long enough to know that a lot of times, the team doesn't play well at all in these scrimmages. After years of Pastner's notoriously slow starting squads, I'll take this result and run with it.
100% agree on the good shooting being very important. Also several players shot the ball well which helps as some nights individuals will have a cold shooting night. Terry is a known solid shooter as well.

Excited to be able to watch Monday’s upcoming game on TV.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking forward to in person comments. Too many fouls , three guys fouled out. And Sturdivant with four.
Refs called a lot of ticky tack fouls in the 2nd half.
Speaking of the cheerleaders, since when do we allow the opposing team to bring cheerleaders? I assume this was a one-off courtesy extended to Clark Atlanta because this was a friendly in-town exhibition. Please tell me this won’t be happening for regular games?
Don't know but they brought energy that I'm not sure would be brought by most of Tech's opponent if they brought their cheerleaders. I'm pretty sure that they did not sit down at any point during the game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the big things I've gleaned is GT will have multiple players that have the ability to score.

We've all witnessed what Kelly can do. The guy is a legit scorer against ACC competition. Well, he had an "off" night with 12pts on 4/13 shooting.

Enter Abrams and Reeves. Abrams scored 18 while making four 3pointers. Reeves scored 19 on 8/11 shooting.

We know Sturdivant can add some scoring punch (double figures in 9 of last 12 games to close out last season), Terry averaged 10+ points last season. Coleman was close to double figures at 9.5pts/game.

Obviously, different year, and different demands in Stoudamire's system, but there are 5 legit guys who can score double figures on any given night...and that doesn't include any of our big guys who were nursing some injuries.

Clark Atlanta isn't UNC or Duke, but it's promising that guys are still productive while learning a new system and trying to play with new teammates.

One thing good teams have are multiple guys that can score in bunches every night. Seems that's what Stoudamire is trying to build with this roster. I expect to see this team to pour it on some nights when almost everyone is "on". I think once everyone starts gelling, and they're comfortable with the demands of Stoudamire, this can get REALLY fun for our fans.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Too soon.
Eh..
Bobby wouldn’t afford you that same courtesy. I wouldn’t sweat it.

Great basketball mind. Often entertaining. Class A a$$hole, and he was proud of it.

Don’t wish anyone gone, but I don’t believe for one second he would value your sympathy.

From the man himself;
"When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want [them] to bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ***." — Knight at IU's Senior Day in 1994.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
My thoughts from being there

Starters - Abram, Kelly, Reeves, Gapare (even though I think Ndongo will start once healthy and ready), and Dowuona.
First off the bench -Deebo and Sacko. George and Murphy also played.
If Ndongo or Claude were healthy - I suspect one of the would have started and Gapare would've come off bench.
Gapare injury did not look serious, he was moving fine before second half, suspect he was kept out as precaution.

Defense - aggressive man to man all night (no zone) - If they play that hard on D, no one will play 35 minutes often.
Offense - spread the floor, let someone create and find open man. There was almost no passing to the low post (Dowuona set a lot of screens out high). We will need some inside post play from someone.
Rebounding - mostly blame the perimeter players - a lot of long rebounds that we lost the battle to get. Their big did not get many.

Shot a LOT of threes, but almost all were open looks. They struggled against the press - not sure why, did bring back a flash of not getting ball inbounds in the Hewitt days. Clark was aggressive and not a lot of the hand reaches/swipes on them were called.

PG - I think we're in good shape here- Abram played solid - shot it better than I expected (4-4 from three and couple nice drives). Kyle looked shaky in first half but played well in second half - really moved the ball to the open man. George played some, but I don't see him in the rotation barring injury - most likely working to slot in PG once Kyle is gone. My gut is Abram and Kyle play 15-25 minutes a game - depends on matchup and who is playing well. They only played together near the end when we were running out of players. Kelly brought ball up some as well.

SG - Kelly did not shoot it well, three of the threes were mid-late second half. Clark was keying on him. I think Terry will play once healthy behind him. Murphy did some good, and some bad (fouled out in less than 15 minutes) - I don't expect he will be in the rotation once Terry is back,

SF - Reeves and Deebo. Reeves had a better game. Deebo played well early in second half, but was reaching too much and limited time w/fouls. Deebo looks a little trimmer/quicker than last year. These two may be out there at same time, one of them guarding the PF.

PF - Reeves played a good bit here out of necessity. Gapare started - was aggressive - at times too aggressive - but very long and athletic - reeks of potential. Sacko played PF a little. I think Ndongo/Claude would have gotten a lot of minutes if healthy - and that would've helped on defense/rebounding. Gapare went 5-5 on FT.

Center - As bad as Rodney Howard's hands were - Dowuona might have worse hands .... Two really nice strokes on FT and a dunk, plus an air ball from 4 feet. He also dropped several passes off penetration which would've been a dunk for a center with good hands. Sacko played the center behind him (Gapare did a little in 1H). Sacko looked lost in 1H, but played well in 2H. When you look at Sacko/Gapare/Ndongo side by side, they are all about same 6 8-9, 210-215 - and I hope one of the steps up this year. Somehow they will back up Dowuona. Dowouna was effective on Defense (blocked a couple shots).

Only reason Clark stayed close was the fouls on GT in second half, and GT turnovers.

Overall - I left feeling positive, there is potential to be much better than last year, the key may be how Gapare/Sacko/Ndongo produce - and getting enough of them healthy ... if one or more can play effectively, we will be tough to defend.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts from being there

Starters - Abram, Kelly, Reeves, Gapare (even though I think Ndongo will start once healthy and ready), and Dowuona.
First off the bench -Deebo and Sacko. George and Murphy also played.
If Ndongo or Claude were healthy - I suspect one of the would have started and Gapare would've come off bench.
Gapare injury did not look serious, he was moving fine before second half, suspect he was kept out as precaution.

Defense - aggressive man to man all night (no zone) - If they play that hard on D, no one will play 35 minutes often.
Offense - spread the floor, let someone create and find open man. There was almost no passing to the low post (Dowuona set a lot of screens out high). We will need some inside post play from someone.
Rebounding - mostly blame the perimeter players - a lot of long rebounds that we lost the battle to get. Their big did not get many.

Shot a LOT of threes, but almost all were open looks. They struggled against the press - not sure why, did bring back a flash of not getting ball inbounds in the Hewitt days. Clark was aggressive and not a lot of the hand reaches/swipes on them were called.

PG - I think we're in good shape here- Abram played solid - shot it better than I expected (4-4 from three and couple nice drives). Kyle looked shaky in first half but played well in second half - really moved the ball to the open man. George played some, but I don't see him in the rotation barring injury - most likely working to slot in PG once Kyle is gone. My gut is Abram and Kyle play 15-25 minutes a game - depends on matchup and who is playing well. They only played together near the end when we were running out of players. Kelly brought ball up some as well.

SG - Kelly did not shoot it well, three of the threes were mid-late second half. Clark was keying on him. I think Terry will play once healthy behind him. Murphy did some good, and some bad (fouled out in less than 15 minutes) - I don't expect he will be in the rotation once Terry is back,

SF - Reeves and Deebo. Reeves had a better game. Deebo played well early in second half, but was reaching too much and limited time w/fouls. Deebo looks a little trimmer/quicker than last year. These two may be out there at same time, one of them guarding the PF.

PF - Reeves played a good bit here out of necessity. Gapare started - was aggressive - at times too aggressive - but very long and athletic - reeks of potential. Sacko played PF a little. I think Ndongo/Claude would have gotten a lot of minutes if healthy - and that would've helped on defense/rebounding. Gapare went 5-5 on FT.

Center - As bad as Rodney Howard's hands were - Dowuona might have worse hands .... Two really nice strokes on FT and a dunk, plus an air ball from 4 feet. He also dropped several passes off penetration which would've been a dunk for a center with good hands. Sacko played the center behind him (Gapare did a little in 1H). Sacko looked lost in 1H, but played well in 2H. When you look at Sacko/Gapare/Ndongo side by side, they are all about same 6 8-9, 210-215 - and I hope one of the steps up this year. Somehow they will back up Dowuona. Dowouna was effective on Defense (blocked a couple shots).

Only reason Clark stayed close was the fouls on GT in second half, and GT turnovers.

Overall - I left feeling positive, there is potential to be much better than last year, the key may be how Gapare/Sacko/Ndongo produce - and getting enough of them healthy ... if one or more can play effectively, we will be tough to defend.
I would not assume Dowuona will start once Ndongo and Claude are back. I think he is a rotation player.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
I would not assume Dowuona will start once Ndongo and Claude are back. I think he is a rotation player.
I agree with Jacketman99.
With Coach talking about him on almost all interviews and Miles.
I expect Ndongo to start. The question is if Gapare or Claude starts at the PF.

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
We had a 6'7" center last year.
We have 3 6'9" (Ndongo, Gapare, and Souare) and 1 6'11" (Dowuona) guy on the roster.
Note: 6'6" Sacko had more rebounds 8 vs 5 and just as many blocks 2 as Dowuona in that game.
Tech's front line could be young but explosive this year!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We had a 6'7" center last year.
We have 3 6'9" (Ndongo, Gapare, and Souare) and 1 6'11" (Dowuona) guy on the roster.

Last year we had 7-0 Martynov, 6-11 Howard, and 6-8 Bagatskis and Meka. The one who played was the one who was best no matter the height.

Everything I've seen from Claude suggests a very heavily interior oriented player without much of a game to stretch the court. I can't really see him playing alongside Dowuona much because of that. But he is by far our most proven interior player so I think he will play unless his game just translates horribly to this level. For me, my biggest hope is that Ndongo is college ready or Gapare takes a big leap from his previous year including being a threat from outside to allow us to play two bigs without sacrificing spacing. If that happens then we should be really dangerous. If we have to use Coleman or Reeves at the 4 to have enough offense then rebounding and interior defense pose a big problem for us.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the game but reading about gave me this-
I'm really.happy that the 2 best players last night were NEW guys.
I was relieved that our 2 best bigs did not play as rebounding was to be a weakness probably this yr.
I'm a bit surprised that our coaches didn't forsee their press and prepare for it better. (our maybe they wanted to let the guys just figure it out)
I like that shooting was a positive which isn't normally true at first..