Ga Tech Clark College exhibition game

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I did not see the game, so take these comments for what they are worth. Not much.

Sloppy was expected last night. Especially going as deep into the roster as we did. It is crazy that we committed so many fouls and turnovers, so that definitedly needs to be addressed. I need to see the team play before commenting about players, but I am not surprised that Reeves and Abram can play.
I need to proof read these posts!!!

slugboy

Staff member
I’m glad to get the on site commentary.

Even exhibitions teach you things you don’t learn from scrimmages, and maybe that explains the turnovers.

What were the coaches doing?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I offer this quote from Bobby Knight as a thought thread for the game last night.

“The greatest motivator in the world is your *** on the bench. *** meets bench, bench retains ***, *** transmits signals to the brain, brain transmits signals to the body, body gets *** off bench and plays better. It’s a hell of a sequence.”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I offer this quote from Bobby Knight as a thought thread for the game last night.

“The greatest motivator in the world is your *** on the bench. *** meets bench, bench retains ***, *** transmits signals to the brain, brain transmits signals to the body, body gets *** off bench and plays better. It’s a hell of a sequence.”
I never liked Bobby Knight. My dislike was so strong that it even made it hard for me to appreciate his “son” Coach K.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Glad we won. Should’ve probably won by more but it’s Damon’s first rodeo and he experimented with lineups so I’ll let it slide. At least we didn’t lose like Louisville did.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems our guards and forwards aren't blocking out on the defensive end, giving up rebounds. Otherwise not much to take away from exhibition. Who was there? Insights?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Im not discouraged. We played without 3 guys who are going to be major contributors. We had certain guys on the court who played more minutes than they normally would. I'm actually glad CAU decided to press the second half. I look at it as more of a learning experience than anything. Kelly and Deebo had rough shooting nights but we know they will pick it up and we did not have Terry who we know is very good from deep as well. We made still made 16 of 35.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The most telling comment I heard in the post game pressers was from Reeves. He was answering a question about the number of threes the team shot and he said something to the effect that they are encouraged to shoot the ball and don't have to look over their shoulder worrying if they are going to be taken out if they miss. I think that is probably more of a swipe at his old coaches at Florida than anything. But I think if any recruits or transfers are hearing that it might be music to their ears.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just looked him up and saw that he died.
Oops!

Oh well, R.I.P. Bobby.

Iontelevision GIF by ION

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If I would have one thing I wanted the team to do well is to shoot the ball well.

The team shot 58% from the field, 46% from 3 and 75% from the line. We had 25 assists on 33 made field goals, which is outstanding. Guys were scoring off of passes. That is really good.

Turnovers and fouling are team issues which can get better, but shooting is a skill and doesn't necessarily improve. One good shooting night doesn't guarantee anything, but it is way better than the guys showing rough shooting.

We held them to 35% from the field and 22% from 3. That is good.

The stat lines for Reeves, Abram and Sacko were good!

A clear negative is giving up 20 offensive boards. Claude, Ndongo and Souare did not play, which are basically our rebounders. Since rebounding and turnovers are a clear priority for Stoudamire, the team is sure to get a working over before the next game.

Most of us have been around long enough to know that a lot of times, the team doesn't play well at all in these scrimmages. After years of Pastner's notoriously slow starting squads, I'll take this result and run with it.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If I would have one thing I wanted the team to do well is to shoot the ball well.

The team shot 58% from the field, 46% from 3 and 75% from the line. We had 25 assists on 33 made field goals, which is outstanding. Guys were scoring off of passes. That is really good.

Turnovers and fouling are team issues which can get better, but shooting is a skill and doesn't necessarily improve. One good shooting night doesn't guarantee anything, but it is way better than the guys showing rough shooting.

We held them to 35% from the field and 22% from 3. That is good.

The stat lines for Reeves, Abram and Sacko were good!

A clear negative is giving up 20 offensive boards. Claude, Ndongo and Souare did not play, which are basically our rebounders. Since rebounding and turnovers are a clear priority for Stoudamire, the team is sure to get a working over before the next game.

Most of us have been around long enough to know that a lot of times, the team doesn't play well at all in these scrimmages. After years of Pastner's notoriously slow starting squads, I'll take this result and run with it.
Good post Mtn... I would guess the poor rebounding is the gaurds not blocking out, they are looking for their shot. He'll fix that if it is the case.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good post Mtn... I would guess the poor rebounding is the gaurds not blocking out, they are looking for their shot. He'll fix that if it is the case.
Agree, good post Mtn. From what I saw, the poor rebounding came from just getting outhustled and outworked, and as Mtn suggested the team might receive a working over. And of course, having any of those 3 would have helped.