Ga Southern

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a reason the JHowell computer algorithm ranks Ga Southern 118th....... and Tulane was the same at 112 ........ we lose this one and we don't deserve a bowl game ..... and most likely wouldn't go to one. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

I fully enjoyed the Tulane game, never thought we were going to lose. I intend to enjoy this game and keep Coastal hopes alive until we lose.
I understand this is a composite, but I can assure you GS is not worse than 117 teams in FBS.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
We should win but...........tell that to Fla last year...the kids there are focused on this one and it may be a tuff half...we cannot give them any room to gain confidence ..if we do then it could be nasty..big game head wise.I sure hope we dont turn this ball over as much as we did yesterday.....dont give them anything.they can hurt you.
Florida was hot garbage last year.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Any GSU fans want to provide some high-level information about GSU's program? For example, how's the new coaching staff and what are their philosophies if known? Any type of tendencies you've seen in the past two games? Specific players to keep an eye on?

Looking forward to seeing all the GSU fans at BDS on Saturday.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ya but if we would have beat Florida last year it would have been a "good win." Everything is just perception and relativity...
Even though UF was "hot garbage" last year, it was still a phenomenal win for GSU. It would be a good win for any team (perception, people), but an especially great win for a team that had just moved up divisions.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
@Stonewall
Seems well versed.
It looks like they can score on anyone, which doesn't bold well for us.
the sav st score isn't really what matters. the crisp execution and no "shoot yourself in the foot" false starts, multiple turnovers, or mental errors is what has me impressed. crazy that the one turnover on O this season came at the NC state 1 yard line when GS went under center for the first time all game and lost the center/QB exchange. no telling how many thousands of snaps ellison has taken under center. they punch in that score and they're up 28-10 and you could stick a fork in NC state. instead, state got a second wind.

i think we all remember the gardner-webb fiasco in '08. it's tough to break in a new coach and offense and you expect significant growing pains--especially early. so far, southern's taken to fritz, his staff, and this O like a duck to water. honestly, i'm shocked. sure, the wheels could come off saturday, i suppose.

on another note, i'm sure GS's scout team QB is former back up to jaybo, izzy youyoute, who knows quite a bit about running an option attack with speed. he made alabama look foolish a few plays. so, the GS D is seeing a fast QB who's well versed in this system this week at practice. many teams can't simulate the speed. southern can.

the sav st score isn't really what matters. the crisp execution and no "shoot yourself in the foot" false starts, multiple turnovers, or mental errors is what has me impressed. crazy that the one turnover on O this season came at the NC state 1 yard line when GS went under center for the first time all game and lost the center/QB exchange. no telling how many thousands of snaps ellison has taken under center. they punch in that score and they're up 28-10 and you could stick a fork in NC state. instead, state got a second wind.

i think we all remember the gardner-webb fiasco in '08. it's tough to break in a new coach and offense and you expect significant growing pains--especially early. so far, southern's taken to fritz, his staff, and this O like a duck to water. honestly, i'm shocked. sure, the wheels could come off saturday, i suppose.

on another note, i'm sure GS's scout team QB is former back up to jaybo, izzy youyoute, who knows quite a bit about running an option attack with speed. he made alabama look foolish a few plays. so, the GS D is seeing a fast QB who's well versed in this system this week at practice. many teams can't simulate the speed. southern can.

So you're picking Southern? I realize this team has convinced themselves that they can play at the ACC level, whatever that is. And they will be jacked up for the game in the big city. But we should score early and often, make enough stops to provide an adequate cushion, and then start wearing them down with second and third teamers.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Tulane was a trap game, this is not, its at home against an inferior opponent. Alot of people on here was sayin the Tulane was gonna be closer than it was and we could've probably punched in another TD at the end if we wanted too to make it 45-21. We played poorly in the first half last week and still covered the spread. We WILL win convincingly this week.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
So you're picking Southern? I realize this team has convinced themselves that they can play at the ACC level, whatever that is. And they will be jacked up for the game in the big city. But we should score early and often, make enough stops to provide an adequate cushion, and then start wearing them down with second and third teamers.
i'm a GS alum and season ticket holder. :D

i grew up a tech fan in cobb county and parents had season tickets most seasons. went to southern and, yeah, i'm an eagle. GT has always been my go-to FBS team and southern my FCS team. now, it's a bit of a conundrum with the eagles move up to FBS but no way i roll against my alma mater. can't do it.

you know alabama didn't even get a chance to wear down southern's team with 2nd and 3rd teamers, right? UGA didn't score early and often in 2012. FL lost. eagles were a snap a way from being up 28-10 versus NC state in the 4th quarter. led the entire game but for a few minutes. not that the past is any predictor of the future, but don't be surprised to see the eagles go step for step. the bad part is GT is well known for playing down to supposed lesser talent. GT comes out on fire and maintains 60 minutes of solid ball, they should win and most likely win comfortable. if not, it's gonna be a ball game. GS ain't wofford.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've watched a bit of GaSouth v. SavSt. It looks like they'll be giving us a bit of a preview for Duke. A lot of zone read stuff from pistol. Their QB can throw it some (didn't have to in this game).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand this is a composite, but I can assure you GS is not worse than 117 teams in FBS.

I went back and looked at Atomic and JHowell and cfb stats. I think what is happening with the data could be related to this is the first year for Ga Southern in FBS. Games between D2 teams in previous years may be discounted regardless of the outcomes.

Regardless, there is no ranking or Vegas outlet predicting this will be a close game.

I won't talk any trash since I've not watched a Ga Southern game. I do know that the stats are usually right (>80%) in the win loss. But where is Ga Southern overall? No better than bottom half would be my guess. And we are top quarter team at home.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I went back and looked at Atomic and JHowell and cfb stats. I think what is happening with the data could be related to this is the first year for Ga Southern in FBS. Games between D2 teams in previous years may be discounted regardless of the outcomes.

Regardless, there is no ranking or Vegas outlet predicting this will be a close game.

I won't talk any trash since I've not watched a Ga Southern game. I do know that the stats are usually right (>80%) in the win loss. But where is Ga Southern overall? No better than bottom half would be my guess. And we are top quarter team at home.

Vegas also had FL at -28 last year and NC state around -20 a couple of weeks ago.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting...GT has moved from a 24 pt favorite, to a 20 point favorite. Looks like money is going towards GT not covering.

Point spreads are nice, but as Stonewall mentioned above, wouldn't want to put your mortgage on it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One big point, CPJ used to coach Southern and no way in hell he lets this team "play down" on Saturday. He's gonna be up their tarholes all week long.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Florida was hot garbage last year.
WEll reocrd wise they were......but they still had some real good athltes left......NCS is not that great either but the mindset of Southen is we come to play and we come to win........we need to be ready.Agree to many gator win not that impressive but to southern....priceless.