GA Southern reportedly hires Colorado State DC Tyson Summers

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
GEORGIA SOUTHERN REPORTEDLY HIRES COLORADO STATE DC TYSON SUMMERS, WHO IS NOT A TRIPLE OPTION DISCIPLE
The final coaching vacancy of 2015 has been filled, with Georgia Southern reportedly hiring Colorado State defensive coordinator Tyson Summers, according to Football Scoop. SB Nation's Steven Godrey confirmed that Summers and GSU have agreed to a deal in principle. Summers will replace Willie Fritz, who went 17-7 in two years as the Eagles' coach before leaving for Tulane.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ch-tyson-summers-colorado-state-triple-option

As a reminder, GA Southern is on our schedule next season, too. This means we're facing UVA, VA Tech, Miami, UGA, & GA Southern next year with new Head Football Coaches. Did I miss any?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
GEORGIA SOUTHERN REPORTEDLY HIRES COLORADO STATE DC TYSON SUMMERS, WHO IS NOT A TRIPLE OPTION DISCIPLE
The final coaching vacancy of 2015 has been filled, with Georgia Southern reportedly hiring Colorado State defensive coordinator Tyson Summers, according to Football Scoop. SB Nation's Steven Godrey confirmed that Summers and GSU have agreed to a deal in principle. Summers will replace Willie Fritz, who went 17-7 in two years as the Eagles' coach before leaving for Tulane.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ch-tyson-summers-colorado-state-triple-option

As a reminder, GA Southern is on our schedule next season, too. This means we're facing UVA, VA Tech, Miami, UGA, & GA Southern next year with new Head Football Coaches. Did I miss any?
Uh oh.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Could work depending on his OC. Let's all remember, Erk Russell was a defensive guru who handed his offense over to CPJ. The rest is GA Southern history....

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-21

- Tyson Summers is a defensive coach, but he’s made it clear the option offense willremain a part of the Georgia Southern program.

Summers said in the press release he plans to build on what GSU does on offense and reiterated the program's tradition of the option in a tweet. It will be interesting to see who Summers hires to run the offense.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I always felt like we had an advantage against defensive coordinators when they were seeing our particular brand of option offense for the first time, but that may be me.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Could work depending on his OC. Let's all remember, Erk Russell was a defensive guru who handed his offense over to CPJ. The rest is GA Southern history....

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--Dec-21

- Tyson Summers is a defensive coach, but he’s made it clear the option offense willremain a part of the Georgia Southern program.

Summers said in the press release he plans to build on what GSU does on offense and reiterated the program's tradition of the option in a tweet. It will be interesting to see who Summers hires to run the offense.
Maybe learned from the VanGorder episode?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I always felt like we had an advantage against defensive coordinators when they were seeing our particular brand of option offense for the first time, but that may be me.
Very dangerous line of thinking for this thread. Be careful.
Almost as dangerous as suggesting that we look at hiring some of this staff -since they almost beat us in 2014. Since their staff is a lot less expensive and could have some new ideas, we should look at adding some ol help.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Given the current roster, Summers is pretty much forced to accept some sort of option offense. He's got QBs who can run and some very good running backs but Southern's pass offense is ... yeah, it's not good.

Hopefully, for the Eagles going forward, he took notes on what not to do in 2006.

But this is his first head coaching gig. True, Southern has been the first head coaching stops for others. But Erk and PJ had been coordinators for a long time before getting a top spot, and for both, it was a matter of when and where, not if. For Summers, he's going to be learning how to be a head coach on the job. Wonder how much slack and patience he'll get from the fan base.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
To me it was a curious hire from the standpoint that southern's identity has always been tied up in option-oriented football. Southern's defense was pretty good the past couple of years, so it isn't as though the defense needs shoring up. As a former defensive coordinator, who isn't wedded to a particular offensive philosophy, it would appear to me that the crucial aspect of his success will be what he does with his offensive coordinator. Consequenlty, you wonder what sort of staff he'll be able to cobble together given how little Southern pays and how late in the process he was hired. He may come in and set the world on fire, but I thought the safer route would have been to go with the two head coaches in the 1-AA playoffs they were considering, who would probably be able to bring in their staff pretty much in tact.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Cook ran shot gun plays as a co-coordinator for Cal Poly with Saga

I don't know if GSU can offer more than Cal Poly tho

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Southern makes a lot more money in the Sun Belt than any FCS team. They could get anyone they want from down there.

I mean, Wyoming was able to get the HC from NDSU.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with foxyg. Like us, Southern's identify has been offensive football. Kleinlein (Southern AD) must be seeing things in this guy, though; he's no dummy. The new head coach needs to pull in a first rate offensive coordinator.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Southern makes a lot more money in the Sun Belt than any FCS team. They could get anyone they want from down there.

I mean, Wyoming was able to get the HC from NDSU.

The budget still is near the bottom of the barrel. And Fritz's salary was middle of the pack for Sun Belt. Monetarily, it was much closer to the bottom than it was to the top.

As for the other poster on Kleinlein being no dummy ... yeah ... I'm not real sure about that. He got suckered big time into putting in only a $100K buyout for Fritz (under a condition if either the president or the AD left, and Keel had been looking for a while before he went to Augusta). And I've met Kleinlein. Not impressed.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Amazing how good our offense looks when there's blocking assignments are executed.

When Vad played against UGA I remember thinking this is how dynamic the offense could look. I thought that was a game GT could build upon, but Vad left and so did the shotgun snaps apparently.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I hope this guy sticks around for more than 2 years, GSU needs that instead of the young coaches coming in and leaving every 2 years. The cool thing is that GSU approached this knowing they wanted to keep the option in some form and it sounds like Summers is willing to do that

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I hope this guy sticks around for more than 2 years, GSU needs that instead of the young coaches coming in and leaving every 2 years. The cool thing is that GSU approached this knowing they wanted to keep the option in some form and it sounds like Summers is willing to do that
Off topic slightly, but unless my eyes deceive me I do believe that GSU leveled a corner back (maybe a LB) on the last TD with a cut block. And it looks like everybody who runs out of the shotgun has stolen the fly sweep.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like their offense, although their passing game is atrocious worse than GT's. Coach Fritz said in an interview he didn't understand why because they practice passing a lot, even saying if you were to watch practice you'd think GSU was a passing team. Anyway didn't translate in game.

The announcer spoke about the difference in how GSU runs and how GT runs, stating GSU gets to the line scrimmage fast and hard downhill while GT has an initial burst that but GSU collisions are more brutal.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I like their offense, although their passing game is atrocious worse than GT's. Coach Fritz said in an interview he didn't understand why because they practice passing a lot, even saying if you were to watch practice you'd think GSU was a passing team. Anyway didn't translate in game.

The announcer spoke about the difference in how GSU runs and how GT runs, stating GSU gets to the line scrimmage fast and hard downhill while GT has an initial burst that but GSU collisions are more brutal.
Didn't hear that part, but it makes no sense at all. LOS is the same in either offense, and WR and Abacks get a running start at defenders as well, so it just sounds kind of dumb, like the speaker regurgitated the last thing he heard. Somebody trying to be an expert without studying.