Fuente out?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
My mom will be so happy if Fuente is going, she has not liked him for a few years now. He is bad at recruiting for VT, and she thinks he doesn't connect with the players the way Beamer did. (Granted I think that is a bit of an unfair comparison, Beamer was a legend.)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Wow. These folks have some deep, deep pockets. Auburn better move fast on whoever they want, because the VPISU job is a decent job with a lower acceptance of success than AllBarn.

If you hang around their boards (or live behind enemy lines like me) you’ll see that VPI has the same expectations as Auburn minus the history, facilities, and money. They’ve removed that empty trophy case with the “reserved for national championship trophy” sign, but that mentality still lives on in their fanbase. They’re stuck in the early 2000s.

They include going 1-3 to Tech as one of the reasons Fuente deserved to be fired.

They thought if they fired Fuente quick enough Shane Beamer would choose them over a “lesser job” at USCe.

Their 247 board had a thread ranking ACC jobs and the biggest point of contention was whether they were 3rd or had overtaken FSU. I am not making that last part up.

They better hope they have somebody who can recruit and placate the masses. Because he’s gonna have a trash roster to work with when he gets there. People complained about CPJ recruiting, but Fuente has literally recruited worse during the ‘20 and ‘21 cycles.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As I suggested to my Hokie Brother-in-Law when he got excited about the presser: "you're getting an 'AD vote of confidence' tomorrow because you ain't got the mo-nayyyyy."

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
If you hang around their boards (or live behind enemy lines like me) you’ll see that VPI has the same expectations as Auburn minus the history, facilities, and money. They’ve removed that empty trophy case with the “reserved for national championship trophy” sign, but that mentality still lives on in their fanbase. They’re stuck in the early 2000s.

They include going 1-3 to Tech as one of the reasons Fuente deserved to be fired.

They thought if they fired Fuente quick enough Shane Beamer would choose them over a “lesser job” at USCe.

Their 247 board had a thread ranking ACC jobs and the biggest point of contention was whether they were 3rd or had overtaken FSU. I am not making that last part up.

They better hope they have somebody who can recruit and placate the masses. Because he’s gonna have a trash roster to work with when he gets there. People complained about CPJ recruiting, but Fuente has literally recruited worse during the ‘20 and ‘21 cycles.
I think this is spot on. You always provide really good insight but I’ll say this about Auburn that Va Tech doesn’t have to deal with: Auburn has an extremely insecure fan base because of Alabama’s success and it spans generations. That dynamic adds a lot of unrealistic pressure.

Beamer created a pretty high ceiling (although 1 he may have reached) and their football atmosphere is hands down best in the state. We’re fortunate that they’ll be in rebuild mode. Critical hire for the Hokies

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Just cruised the VPI boards and it seems that they are keeping Fuente and the announcement is likely their AD just publically backing him because the flames under his seat were too high to leave it unaddressed.

This is the ideal scenario for us. He’s gonna lose a handful of guys to the draft and doesn’t have anybody to backfill with the terrible ‘20 class. Probably miss a bowl again next year (their bowl streak is a huge point of pride over there) and their ‘22 class will suffer again with a looming coaching change. 3 bad classes in a row will be quite the hole out of which to dig.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia Tech is Syracuse/Pitt/WV, and in many ways a lesser program in totality prior to 2000.

Then they got an invite to the ACC after the Virginia governor stiff-armed the original ACC expansion plan that included Syracuse.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Beamer created a pretty high ceiling (although 1 he may have reached) and their football atmosphere is hands down best in the state.
This is true. I have been to three VT games, one was the 2018 GT game, and I loved it! The atmosphere there is crazy when they play Enter Sandman and everyone is jumping up and down. The tailgaters are awesome and nice. It is amazing.

My mom is a VT fan and she is pissed they are keeping Fuente, he is going to run the program into the ground because his recruiting for the upcoming seasons is HORRIBLE. I don't know what VT is going to need to do, but they need someone new as a coach to get better recruiting or they are going to be the bottom of the ACC soon.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Fuente officially retained.

News already had VPI fans pissed, but it’s been quickly followed by rumors that OL Nester and Hudson are gonna enter the transfer portal. They are #2 and #6 respectively on their roster 247 composite ratings.

One of their other OLs is gonna be picked in the first two rounds of the draft too. They are gonna be terrible next year.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption would be so confused.
eye twitch GIF